Wing Chun stances are great for Zhen Zhuang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wing Chun stances are great for Zhen Zhuang

Postby Yeung on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 am

Wing Chun stances are great for Zhen Zuang because they can provide stability in standing passively for a long time. Traditionally, beginners of Wing Chun do the first form standing statically for 30 minutes with various hand techniques.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Wing Chun stances are great for Zhen Zhuang

Postby HotSoup on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:12 am

If you mean something like this:
I would argue that the body frame patterns this stance can develop through ZZ can be harmful for your spine, because of its unnatural curvature. More common ZZ stances (like HunYuan, being classic) put one's spine into the state that is even less curved than the natural, which has a therapeutic effect. Unless you want to develop some qualities specific to WC by doing ZZ in the WC stances (and are not afraid of living with a form of kyphosis :)), I would think twice before putting any significant effort and time into such training.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Yeung on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 am

Fro Wing Chun practitioners, this posture can be found in the last section of Biao zhi 镖指 where one has to release the tension of the gluteal muscle and rest on or stretch the quadriceps and abdominal muscles and recoil back to do the finger thrust or the kick if you have learned it. It is a difficult stance unless one can relax the chest and back it can go very wrong as most people practice ZZ do not know how to do passive stance.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Eric_H on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I really disagree with the version of YGKYM that Yip Man is showing, it's bad for your back. I often wonder what it looked like when he was younger.

Either way, I'm glad not to be doing that stance any more.
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Postby GrandUltimate on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:19 pm

My sifu originally made my bros and I do our zhen zhuang/jam jong in Yee Jee kim yeung mah, though once we started learning Tai Chi it was more common for us to do it in wuji.

That said, I agree with Eric_H on Yip Man's stance in that picture. My sifu actually made it a point to tell us that a lot of Yip Man's pictures are terrible when it comes to using them as a model for one's own training. In fact, he's often pointed this out about a lot of sifus. That's not to say that they're bad, but rather that those sifus often didn't really care to give their A-game when it came to taking pictures and videos.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby Yeung on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 am

The is the relaxed character two groin protective stance, and one needs to do it properly before rested in the quadriceps and abdominal muscles. Yip Man made some photos and videos weeks before he passed away, and these are available in Youtube. The alignment of his head and spine is very good for his age. In any case, some practitioners learn from photos and videos might have problems. Some practitioners do train extended further back for martial purpose. This can be use to stretch the quadriceps and abdominal muscles by just standing passively.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:07 am

Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan