Jet Li's Fakeout Punch

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Jet Li's Fakeout Punch

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 am

So Jet Li throws this into most of his later movies, I think everything he's released direct in the states, at least.

It's a hand that flies out to the left to draw attention before a right comes smashing in.

I was wondering if it comes from any system anybody here is familiar with or if it's just some thing Yeun Woo Ping decided to start throwing in to make me chuckle every damn time I see it.
Here he is using it against Billy Chau in "Fist of Legend"
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Jet Li's Fakeout Punch

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 am

It's a standard Tongbei movement.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 am

kenneth fish wrote:It's a standard Tongbei movement.

Neat! Does it have a name I could use to look it up?
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:16 pm

You often see Tongbei in kung-fu flicks starring Jet Li and Wu Jing (a Chinese kung-fu film actor who was also a member of the Beijing Wushu team) because it has all these rapid and extended arm movements that look very fancy and exciting to the audience.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 pm

C.J.W. wrote:You often see Tongbei in kung-fu flicks starring Jet Li and Wu Jing (a Chinese kung-fu film actor who was also a member of the Beijing Wushu team) because it has all these rapid and extended arm movements that look very fancy and exciting to the audience.

Oh I love me some Jacky Wu, lol.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:16 pm

C.J.W. wrote:You often see Tongbei in kung-fu flicks starring Jet Li and Wu Jing (a Chinese kung-fu film actor who was also a member of the Beijing Wushu team) because it has all these rapid and extended arm movements that look very fancy and exciting to the audience.

Yuen Woo Ping was Jackie Chan’s and Sammo Hung’s senior in the Beijing Opera school. I liked Yuen Woo Pings work in the early days, when it was about traditional Kung Fu. Later when Jet Li and Wushu took over, I don’t like very well. For flying around wire-fu Qing Siu Tung is a far superior coordinator. In fact, he was the one who invented the new style seen in modern wuxia movies.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Look at 2:55 for the variations of Pi Shan Zhang (mountain splitting palm)

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:51 am

oragami_itto wrote:So Jet Li throws this into most of his later movies, I think everything he's released direct in the states, at least.

It's a hand that flies out to the left to draw attention before a right comes smashing in.

I was wondering if it comes from any system anybody here is familiar with or if it's just some thing Yeun Woo Ping decided to start throwing in to make me chuckle every damn time I see it.

On the contrary to Ken stated,
It’s not Tongbei ~
It is Fanziquan 翻子拳~
Jet Li learnt it when young~
Funny the actor really learn Tongbei systemically is Zhao Wenzhou 趙文卓~
Sigh~ but not mentioned here~ at all...
Cheers,
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:05 pm

To Chinese-speaking audiences, Zhao is now probably more well-known for his short-lived romance with HK singer/actress Anita Mui 梅艷芳 than his career as a kung-fu movie star. He played a few memorable roles in Tsui Hark's Wong fei hong films in the 90s, but hasn't really appeared in anything major since the 2000s except some TV series.

The funny thing about the fight scene between Jet Li and Billy Chau is that if they had fought for real, Chau (a real-life kickboxing world champ) would've kicked Li's ass from HK all the way to Beijing. ;D
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah Billy Chau would turn Jet into mincemeat
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:19 pm

oragami_itto wrote:So Jet Li throws this into most of his later movies, I think everything he's released direct in the states, at least.

Maybe they copied Bruce Lee, who did it in his movies over 40 years ago. Feints are one of JKD's Five Ways of Attack, https://www.jkd-la.com/principles.html:
Progressive Indirect Attack - Taken from Western Fencing originally, the idea of "second intention" is employed here where you use an initial false attack or feint to draw some type of defensive reaction from your opponent. After you get the attempted block or parry you deceive that defensive motion by quickly shifting lines and hitting to an open target. Progressive means you will cover at least half the distance between you and your opponent by moving forward on the initial false attack or feint. Indirect means to gain time by putting your opponent a half beat behind your motions. You don't wait for their block to land, you shift lines just as it's moving towards your initial strike. This timing is used to take advantage of the best "window of opportunity" to deceive the opponent.

Dreamer02 Qu
Published on Oct 13, 2013

The Slow Motion of of Bruce Lee Kung Fu [Feint Skills] 李小龙功夫假动作技巧与其他动作慢镜头:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhiG-ZIh48
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 am

It certainly is a feint but not really how Bruce did it that I recall. It's just this one specific feint he does.

There's no monopoly on feinting, just curious about that expression of it

Watching that video, I see one he uses a lot that looks like white crane spreads wings. You could work the transition from that to brush knee very similarly to Jets move
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm

oragami_itto wrote:It's a hand that flies out to the left to draw attention before a right comes smashing in.

oragami_itto wrote:It certainly is a feint but not really how Bruce did it that I recall. It's just this one specific feint he does.

There's no monopoly on feinting, just curious about that expression of it

Watching that video, I see one he uses a lot that looks like white crane spreads wings. You could work the transition from that to brush knee very similarly to Jets move

Not sure if you mean a feint within a form. Not the same feint. However, here is a Liu He Ba Fa form. At 5:05, he rotates and looks to the left (feint), then attacks to his right.
Green Tiger wrote:For reference, the yellow captions appear at the following times:
5:06 - 聲東擊西 sheng dong ji xi, feint to the east but attack to the west

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjHvS7O4-Q&t=5m5s
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 pm

What I mean is that Bruce Lee would use the feint more to close distance. Looking at the description in the link you sent, the feint brings you halfway there then you immediately launch the follow up attack.
Jet's feint is while engaged at close range.

What I was saying about the form is that some of his feints look like White Crane Spreads Wings sort of, the right hand comes up next to/slightly above the face with the palm facing the opponent.
The next move in my form is Brush Left Knee and Twist Step, and the left hand comes across from the left to the right.

This general shape, from the end of white crane to the beginning of brush knee, is similar to Jet's feint. High outside attention draw to one side, crossing strike from the other. That can easily be used as an application idea for practice.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:39 pm

oragami_itto wrote:What I mean is that Bruce Lee would use the feint more to close distance. Looking at the description in the link you sent, the feint brings you halfway there then you immediately launch the follow up attack.
Jet's feint is while engaged at close range.

What I was saying about the form is that some of his feints look like White Crane Spreads Wings sort of, the right hand comes up next to/slightly above the face with the palm facing the opponent.
The next move in my form is Brush Left Knee and Twist Step, and the left hand comes across from the left to the right.

This general shape, from the end of white crane to the beginning of brush knee, is similar to Jet's feint. High outside attention draw to one side, crossing strike from the other. That can easily be used as an application idea for practice.

Ok, I understand better. IMO, Jet Li's feint is not as effective in the real world. The feint is not high percentage; a strong enough threat to get the opponent out of position. The opponent may use his peripheral vision to take a quick glance at your hand.

Lee's feint strategies are more effective (more set-up/science) in getting the opponent double weighted. However, they don't fit your White Crane Spreads Its Wings situation.

I believe this is the moment you are referencing at :46 to 1:06.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWMPZH8Pji4&t=0m46s
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links