The Healer (new show on TLC)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Healer (new show on TLC)

Postby chud on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 am

A new show about energy healing debuted last night on TLC network.

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/the-healer/videos/first-look-at-the-healer

The general public might think Charlie's skill is something unique (and it may be, since he's apparently had no training), but here on RSF we have all heard of healing using Qigong or Reiki.

Anyway, the first episode was interesting.
Charlie seems to be a humble person, not dramatic or self-aggrandizing.
The people he healed seemed slightly skeptical at first but very convinced afterward, one of them was Jennifer Grey (never knew about the bad car accident she was in).
Last edited by chud on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Re: The Healer (new show on TLC)

Postby everything on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am

looks interesting thanks. some people may have more natural talent or tuning into energy or whatnot. it'd be interesting if he pursued learning qigong, etc.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 am

I'll have to check that one out.
Michael

Postby KEND on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Sounds like a 'laying of the hands' phenomena. I have had students wuo were 'naturals', usually compassionate people who need to heal and are not pverconcerned about making money from it. A formalized medical Qigomg course would probably help, there are techniques and rules to be learnt which might improve performance and minimize exposure to 'bad energy'.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am

I watched ep 1 and you can't help but like Charlie. He just seems so nice and eager to help and let doctors/scientists try to study him. The "patients" seem so surprised and grateful, regardless of whether they are first skeptical or open.

He seems to have stumbled on a sudden strong qigong ability/feeling. To paraphrase his story, one day when he was 18 he felt a sort of "magnetic" feeling between his hands. He started waving his hands around and told his friends to put their hands up. His one friend put her hand up and could feel his energy. His other friend put her hand up and he noticed a strange rock like ball of energy out in front of her palm. He suddenly felt he had to try to "smooth" this rock feeling. She started crying and then told him to continue. She could then start to move her finger that she couldn't move for years. He started to think there's something weird that he needed to continue with...
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 pm

https://www.tlcgo.com/the-healer/something-real-is-going-on/

The last segment with actress Jennifer Grey was interesting because she'd had serious problems from a severe neck injury that resulted from a car crash that killed the mother and daughter of the other car. Charlie tried a few times to heal her on the physical level, according to what he said, with energy transmission (according to my interpretation), and you could see Grey shaking it off after the treatments, re-inducing the pain in the muscles of her neck and quickly re-establishing her limited range of motion.

It appeared she did this because she didn't want to accept the healing at that moment for whatever reason, which Charlie suspected was guilt, so he transitioned from "physical" energy transmission, or perhaps as he described in an earlier segment, from the astral body, and healed Grey on the emotional level, which was apparently a correct assumption and Grey finally allowed the healing to occur, eventually admitting she wanted to cry. Charlie encouraged her to explore the guilt aspect of her injury because of the deaths of the other two people.

Considering Grey had this injury for 30 years and it was connected to the traumatic deaths of two other people, it's not surprising that Grey would be resistant even though she appeared receptive at the conscious level while talking before the treatments. I've had one chronic back pain sufferer of 20 years, who was like Grey in that he didn't want the healing to succeed, and who was basically proud that I'd been unable to help him.

Just as Charlie described with his experience, if it doesn't work immediately it usually won't push through with successive attempts. I knew as soon as I touched my back pain holder-onner that it wasn't going to work, but I went ahead and did my best just the same. He was so proud his back pain was incurable.

That was also my first exposure to an entire nationality of people who are significantly more closed off to energy work than those with whom I'd first learned how to do it.
Michael

Postby KEND on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Its not unusual for someone not to want to be healed. There can be many reasons for this, enjoying the attention, skepticism of the process etc Acceptance certainly helps whether it is placebo or merely relaxing the body
KEND
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:08 pm

chud
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Great article, Chris.

Charlie explained a little about his method and I was really curious about how quickly he worked because the TLC show editing didn't make it clear. He's very fast, so I think when his eyelids are fluttering, he's going to the place where he says in the article he can do 10 things at once. That's the place where most of the energy work is so quickly effective, at the non-physical level, although there is also physical transmission/reception of whatever this energy is, which I think accounts for the various sensations people feel, such as heat, cold, magnetism, etc.

I think Charlie learned how to consciously transfer his mind and make a connection to the other person at this "higher" level or dimension of our reality. It's probably best that he does not have sensory feedback or diagnostic ability because that can be overwhelming and even create synthetic effects in the healer from the feedback felt from the patient.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:50 am

The “no touch” approach has a lot to recommend it in terms of limiting energetic backwash into a practitioner’s system.

A lot of the techniques he’s using come straight out of the Bardon school of Hermetics playbook. For those curious take a look at Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon.

He seems to be a genuine individual. While science lacks the tools to directly observe how he is doing this, I do hope studies can be done regarding the efficacy of what he is doing.

I know some work has been done studying the effects of “therapeutic touch” in a hospital setting, but that is about it. And “therapeutic touch” is a far weaker modality than what he is doing.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Watched ep 2 this morning, and it was good, but more of the same. They didn't try to get into what the heck might be happening. Maybe that's in upcoming episodes. That would be more interesting. I think a "normie" watching this show wouldn't believe any of it.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm

I don't think there's any way for a person using critical thinking to give this any credence unless they see such dramatic and repeated results, and even then it will be like culture shock. Furthermore, there's no good way to explain how it works, only to measure the results, which is also true for some treatments in so-called evidence based medicine.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 am

Michael good points.

With something like this cognitive dissonance is the biggest obstacle towards getting good studies done. The possibilities created by this working violate the operating principles of Western medicine to such a great degree that people witnessing this kind of phenomena will actively block the record of the event from their memory.

It is a pretty interesting phenomena to see in action.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:33 pm

ideally you would want to do reproducible, double-blind studies vs. placebo.

we're going to get this guy charlie to wave his hands around.
we're going to get this other person to wave her hands around.
the scientists and the recipients don't know who can help or what is going on.
you need self reported data on whether something helped, but in some cases a PT could measure joint mobility, I guess.

then, we know charlie can apparently do something. how do you then reproduce that with some other "charlie"? you can't just go and find someone.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Charlie's idea from that article Chud posted was pretty good: distant healing of urinary tract infections, which are measurable in white blood cell counts. It would be pretty much undeniable that there was cause and effect if he achieved dramatic improvements on 4 out of 5 patients with UTI (I suspect for this kind of problem his success rate is higher than what he described as 8/10 over 15 years), but like Peacedog said, and I will say, the vast majority of doctors would be even less likely to believe the published results, no matter where they came from or who corroborated them, than just the average person on the street.

Energy healing and Western medicine are simply oil and water, but Charlie might be the first one to break through. He's got the right temperament for it. Maybe his lack of feedback sensation actually helps his credibility since he has to ask people how they feel. I think M.D.'s can relate to that better than if he could sense their issues.
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic