Images of my Region in China - Part Eight

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Images of my Region in China - Part Eight

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 am

2017 was a slower year, as we spent the first half of it in Jiamusi, Heilongjiang, a place with fuck all to see or do. After we moved back to Guilin things started to pick up again and I got some decent shots, the most coveted being a photo of a wild rhesus monkey. Still, I was too busy with studying swordsmanship from my Master to go on many epic trips this past year, so I hope that I still have a chance after I finish my studies in several months, before we leave China for good (at least living here).

These first several shots were still from the tail end 2016 - I failed to add them last year. As you can see, it was cold as fuck. The winter lasted over seven months and continued training in temperatures as low as -30 C..

It was so cold that I couldn't take off my gloves to take a photo for more than a minute, but it was worth the effort.

It wasn't until June that things started turning green again outside!

After we finally escaped from Chinese Siberia the first thing I did was buy a motorbike and get back out there! And we made it just in time, as right after our epic trip the weather was uncooperative for over a month of the latter half of the summer...

The road to our usual swimming hole had been washed away during a massive flood shortly after we arrived and the pool under this waterfall became the replacement. Not too shabby, either..

A portion of the autumn ended up being quite nice and besides these photos I was able to get a lot of footage for my final China video on swordsmanship. This will be the biggest one yet, with lots of scenery and fencing. Look for it in two or three months!

Anyways, I don't know when we are leaving China yet - probably in March or April - so this may be the end of this photo series - if the weather stays shitty, as it tends to do in winter here... I wish that I could say that I explored the country to my heart's content, but the fact is that I made a lot of sacrifices to get to where I ended up in my martial arts studies. Still, I travelled over 80.000km (not including my daily commutes), through some of the most remote and untouched areas of South China and had a lot of amazing experiences during my time here. I was only able to capture a small portion of what I saw, but I hope that you've enjoyed the ride.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Images of my Region in China - Part Eight

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 am

Great pic's as usual. Yes the very north of China is quite a harsher place of China, landscape grey dry and extremely cold in winter. I myself have only been a couple of days in Harbin during the winter during the time I mostly stayed in a warm Hotel :) But been around quite a lot in the countryside of Liaoning. Guilin seem much more picturesque.
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 am

Wonderful pictures as always. Thank you very much for sharing. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:44 pm

really enjoyed these, thanks.. :)
emptycloud

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I was in Harbin in 1980 for a few days. One of the people I was with worked for the local railroad (which was vintage 1940's) . It was bitter cold, and there was little in the way of heat in the buildings. My bed was on a kang - a brick platform heated with dung and straw cakes. When we were outside and my friend spit (which he did every third sentence or so) it would freeze as soon as it hit the ground. I swore I would never live in a place so cold.

Then I did my residency in Buffalo New York.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Trick wrote:Great pic's as usual. Yes the very north of China is quite a harsher place of China, landscape grey dry and extremely cold in winter. I myself have only been a couple of days in Harbin during the winter during the time I mostly stayed in a warm Hotel :) But been around quite a lot in the countryside of Liaoning. Guilin seem much more picturesque.

Thanks, mate. Yes, the lack of snow for most of the winter was the worst part..

Guilin is nice when the weather is nice. When it's rainy, misty or smoggy it's just as ugly as other Chinese cities, though..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Bao wrote:Wonderful pictures as always. Thank you very much for sharing. 8-)

My pleasure.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 pm

kenneth fish wrote:I was in Harbin in 1980 for a few days. One of the people I was with worked for the local railroad (which was vintage 1940's) . It was bitter cold, and there was little in the way of heat in the buildings. My bed was on a kang - a brick platform heated with dung and straw cakes. When we were outside and my friend spit (which he did every third sentence or so) it would freeze as soon as it hit the ground. I swore I would never live in a place so cold.

Then I did my residency in Buffalo New York.

The spitting is still going on nowadays.. In winter the streets are literally covered in frozen slag and dog shit.. Disgusting.

I never saw a Kang, but they still use them in countryside houses.

I another thread you mentioned that you were in Guiyang in the 1980s. I'm so jealous! I was there in 2007 and it was alright, but I've travelled through remote parts of the province and it was amazing. I can imagine that Guiyang must have been more like that in those days. I've seen photos of Guilin from the 1930s and it makes you want to cry, how much was lost.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Tom wrote:Great photos, Maarten. Thanks as always for sharing them with the forum. Fujian had been at the top of the list for my next China visit, but Guilin seems very appealing as well.

Ken, you need to share your pictures of Buffalo from your time there . . . well, actually, no you don't. ;)

Come to Guilin from mid-May to the end of July for the best weather. Let me know if you will be coming as a non-tourist and I can give you suggestions about where to go.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing with us. I can feel you'll miss China, and we will miss the photos and stories.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 am

Thanks, mate. There are definitely things that I'll miss, for sure.. But I intend to focus my camera elsewhere in future - find a new muse.. :P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic