Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 am

Some good points.

TheWeasle
Published on Jan 9, 2018

"How would Bruce Lee do in UFC" is a question that is always asked when talking about MMA. I will break down how well Bruce Lee would do against the best fighters in the UFC and what he specifically brings to the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FV4xCFRVnM
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

I don’t know how many MMA fighter can do what Bruce Lee did~
But it will be great to know ...the percentage ~
And this is only his external side of JKD by this I mean the presentation, we are not even talking his internal set of skills~
Last edited by Overlord on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Don't quite know what you mean by his internal set of skills
Last edited by wayne hansen on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm

I saw Rocky Balboa do those "leg raises" in Rocky4,maybe he still can do.
Trick

Postby slowEdie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm

marvin8 wrote:
willie wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:
Too bad he died young. If he was still alive today, it would be interesting to see how his fighting style evolved

Well, if he was lucky enough, then he would have ran into legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy. Then he would have stopped defying real Masters and learned instead of his Brash Behavior.

Do you have a sparring/fighting video of these "legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy?" ;) Bruce did run into a Tai Chi master.

Excerpt from 7 things you didn’t know about Bruce Lee, http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/b ... ruce-lee/8:
Kirik Jenness on Friday, August 26, 2016 wrote:BRUCE LEE’S FIRST MARTIAL ART WAS TAI CHI

Bruce Lee is one of the most influential martial artists of all time. His films and teaching put a particular emphasis on striking violently. However, his first martial art was the meditative Tai Chi.

He learned it from his father.

Many years later, Lee appeared on a television show, and was challenged by a Tai Chi master to push him out of a theoretically immovable stance.

Lee flattened the master with a blow.

“I don’t push,” he said. “I punch.”

Bruce may have studied Tai Chi more in depth, if he lived longer. He had studied some Tai Chi, when he was younger.

Excerpt from Last Interview of the late Dan Lee (1930-2015),
http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/message/1474098274/PART+4+of+5-+Last+Interview+of+the+late+Dan+Lee+%281930-2015%29:
Chinese Wushu magazine on May 2015 wrote:Q52: We ever saw you playing Tai Chi in a video clip of Bruce’s backyard training video. Under what circumstance was that clip being filmed? Was Bruce really interested in Tai Chi Chuan?

DL: Once, Bruce asked me, “Dan, didn’t you learn Tai Chi Chuan before?” I replied, “Yes, just for a year. My teacher is Master Tung.” He said, “Alright, then show it to me, I will film it down.” At that time, Bruce had just bought a new home video camera, which cost him over US$1,000. It’s a brand new technological product that was released in the market but not many people had owned it then. I told him, “Bruce, I’m not good in it.” He said, “I don’t care, you just demonstrate it to me.” So, I showed him the complete form of Yang style Tai Chi Chuan. Bruce then said, “I will keep this footage as a record and put it in my study room. In the future, if there’s opportunity after my retirement, remind me that I ought to really go deeply into the learning of Tai Chi Chuan, the nature of water, soft and hard, etc. I’ll use a year to study it.” However, after Bruce’s passing, I have totally forgotten about this incident.

One day, Linda was tidying up the study room and she saw the video footage. She was surprised to see me playing Tai Chi Chuan. I told her “Don’t see it, that is too immature and horrible, I just learnt for a year and have not properly mastered it then.” I watched it myself and thought wow, it’s really no good and I felt quite embarrassed to see it. In fact, Bruce at that time wasn’t really wanted to learn Tai Chi Chuan from me. He just wanted to keep a record as a reminder to himself so that by the time he retired, he would then have time to study more in-depth about the Ying-Yang theories plus the soft Kung Fu. Also, he planned to put in time and effort to specially study Tai Chi. Unfortunately, he had no more such opportunity.

Bruce Lee and Tai Chi, http://martialmusings.com/jkd/bruce-lee-and-tai-chi/:
Steven Russell on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:While going through some old archival footage (left over on some old hard drives I have), I came across this gem of a video of Bruce Lee demonstrating Tai Chi Chuan (Tai Ji Quan).

Most probably know that Bruce Lee had been taught some of the fundamentals of Tai Ji (more specifically, Wu style) from his father Lee Hoi Chuen. Towards the end of his life, the elder Lee, also studied some (Yang-style) Tai Ji with Liang Zi Peng, who was also a teacher of other internal martial arts (namely Yi Quan). Because of this connection, it has been suggested that Bruce had received some additional training in internal martial arts from him.
Bruce Lee & his father, Lee Hoi Chuen, practicing Tai Ji in Hong Kong. (1958)

The story goes that Lee Hoi Chuen had asked Liang to show Bruce some gung fu during one of his trips to China since Bruce was such an avid practitioner of gung fu.

It is said that Liang taught Bruce some of the basic principles of Yi Quan… to me this is interesting since Yi Quan is known to be a principle based art that eschews forms practice, and believe one ought to not be bound by any one method… sound familiar?

If you’re familiar with Tai Ji, you’ll recognize the section above as the pushing movements leading into the “single whip” posture (which looks to me like Wu style because of a smaller frame).

As a side note, did you know that while in Hong Kong, Bruce Lee had also received some training in Choi Lai Fut under Chen Nian Bo, as well as Jing Wu martial arts by Xiao Han Sheng. He had also received some training in Hung Gar. This was of course in addition to his Wing Chun training.

Also, during his time in Seattle, Bruce was under the guidance of Master Fook Yeung, a well-known master of Red Boat Wing Chun.

Looks like Tungs with a kick added to single whip
slowEdie
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links