Monkeys cloned in world first, scientists reveal

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Monkeys cloned in world first, scientists reveal

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:57 am

Trick wrote:
Steve James wrote:Still, nothing to do with aliens or "alien" life forms. Any alien life form will either be based on dna or not.
?

Because you wrote:
might be a story about humanoid space farer's reconstructing the gene pool of an early Homo species on this planet, and now we are continuing with this tradition

I'm not saying you believe it. I'm saying that there's not going to be a humanoid space traveler --or alien. However, that doesn't mean that dna didn't originate somewhere other than Earth.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:37 pm

I wrote -
Trick wrote:.Some theorize that in the Judeo-Christian creation myth where God/Gods create us in their image ("Then God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.") might be a story about humanoid space farer's reconstructing the gene pool of an early Homo species on this planet, and now we are continuing with this tradition.

In which i mean if the above theory is right(or not right) we now continue the "God's" idea about creating new spieces. In a previous post you wrote " if we found monkeys on Mars", then i'm sure some of our scientists would be very excited to " experiment on them. Now of course we are not going to find monkeys on any other planets for many many years to come so we have to settle with our own monkeys here on this globe.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 am

My point was that "God" and creation are human ideas. Hybridization of animals, cross-breeding, mutation, and chimera occur naturally without divine or alien intervention.

Cloning is a human endeavor. My point about monkeys on other worlds is that they would obviously be intelligent life. I think humans (at best) would treat them no differently than we treat monkeys on earth. However, monkeys are just examples. They just happen to be as humanoid as any extraterrestrial we might meet. I.e., I doubt we'll find an alien whose dna is closer to human dna than a chimp or gorillas.

I think a Spock may be possible because humans will try to mate with any alien with a reproductive orifice.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:46 pm

For sure God and the creation myth are human ideas, so are manipulating the DNA. But maybe we create species of life that will se us as Gods, because we are the creators.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 pm

But maybe we create species of life that will se us as Gods, because we are the creators.

Maybe we will "create" a species and tell it that we are gods. Created beings have to be told they were created --by their Creator. Otoh, to some dogs, their owners are gods --just not mommy or daddy.

Of course, if we're talking about human clones, you have raised an issue that might answer your question.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Steve James wrote:to some dogs, their owners are gods --
Dogs are smart, but them having having "ability" to perceive us as Gods.....and hopefully(for the dogs at least) they will never get dumb to the point where they see us as Gods 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Steve James wrote:
to some dogs, their owners are gods --
Dogs are smart, but them having having "ability" to perceive us as Gods I don't believe.....and hopefully(for the dogs at least) they will never get dumb to the point where they see us as Gods 8-)
Trick

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 am

Well, if an extraterrestrial came to Earth, let's say materializing like in Star Trek, would you say think it (he/she) was a god?

Columbus wrote that the natives he met thought the Spaniards were gods. He didn't speak Taiyo, so....

Anyway, if we create a new species, will we consider ourselves gods, or will we just expect the new species to consider us as gods and masters? What do you think?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:56 am

the "species" humans are creating is "robots". maybe they will consider us to be too stupid to be "gods".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 am

everything wrote:the "species" humans are creating is "robots". maybe they will consider us to be too stupid to be "gods".

There's a reason we're worried about artificial intelligence. Otoh, it underlies the threats in the comic book universes.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 am

Steve James wrote:Well, if an extraterrestrial came to Earth, let's say materializing like in Star Trek, would you say think it (he/she) was a god?

Columbus wrote that the natives he met thought the Spaniards were gods. He didn't speak Taiyo, so....

Anyway, if we create a new species, will we consider ourselves gods, or will we just expect the new species to consider us as gods and masters? What do you think?

Hmm, maybe Columbus just though the Americas natives looked up him and his likes as Gods or maybe he just wished that, he did not speak their language so couldn't really know. Read somewhere that when the crew came back to Europe they reported to the church that they had come to the understanding that the Americas natives belived in the same God as them??..the satement wasn't elaborated further in the book it was written(my personal understanding of that was they mention sun worship)......About how we humans will set standards toward eventual new species we create,the future will tell. Science is controlled by corporations and it's probably their ethics values that will set standards.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 am

Hmm, maybe Columbus just though the Americas natives looked up him and his likes as Gods or maybe he just wished that, he did not speak their language so couldn't really know.

We know exactly what he thought because he wrote letters about it.

Columbus sailed from Palos de la Frontera on Friday, August 3, 1492, reached the Canary Islands six days later and stayed there for a month to finish outfitting his ships. He left on September 6, and five weeks later, in about the place he expected, he found the Indies. What else could it be but the Indies? There on the shore were the naked people. With hawk’s bells and beads he made their acquaintance and found some of them wearing gold nose plugs. It all added up. He had found the Indies. And not only that. He had found a land over which he would have no difficulty in establishing Spanish dominion, for the people showed him an immediate veneration. He had been there only two days, coasting along the shores of the islands, when he was able to hear the natives crying in loud voices, “Come and see the men who have come from heaven; bring them food and drink.” If Columbus thought he was able to translate the language in two days’ time, it is not surprising that what he heard in it was what he wanted to hear or that what he saw was what he wanted to see—namely, the Indies, filled with people eager to submit to their new admiral and viceroy.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/c ... peJqwXP.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Steve James wrote:
Hmm, maybe Columbus just though the Americas natives looked up him and his likes as Gods or maybe he just wished that, he did not speak their language so couldn't really know.

We know exactly what he thought because he wrote letters about it.

Columbus sailed from Palos de la Frontera on Friday, August 3, 1492, reached the Canary Islands six days later and stayed there for a month to finish outfitting his ships. He left on September 6, and five weeks later, in about the place he expected, he found the Indies. What else could it be but the Indies? There on the shore were the naked people. With hawk’s bells and beads he made their acquaintance and found some of them wearing gold nose plugs. It all added up. He had found the Indies. And not only that. He had found a land over which he would have no difficulty in establishing Spanish dominion, for the people showed him an immediate veneration. He had been there only two days, coasting along the shores of the islands, when he was able to hear the natives crying in loud voices, “Come and see the men who have come from heaven; bring them food and drink.” If Columbus thought he was able to translate the language in two days’ time, it is not surprising that what he heard in it was what he wanted to hear or that what he saw was what he wanted to see—namely, the Indies, filled with people eager to submit to their new admiral and viceroy.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/c ... peJqwXP.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

;D
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 pm

While the Americas natives that Colombus and his crew encountered seem to have been very welcoming, the natives of the north of north Americas seem to not have been to the Norsmen that supposedly set up small settlements there. As I remember of the little I have read about that, the Vikings were constantly attacked by the natives to the point they chose to leave. Maybe the Spaniards/Portuguese was initially seen as Gods but the Scandinavians where seen as demons that was to be expelled :)
Trick

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am

Um, he "said" they were welcoming, but all he knew was that they weren't belligerent. At any rate, the men he left when he went back just abused the natives that they could. Eventually, the natives fought back. Columbus's problem was that he couldn't see the natives as people just like him --except for the technology and culture. I.e., who would want their land to just be occupied by strangers who simply took all their resources and treated them like animals?

Of course, Columbus used Christianity as his rationale. It gives me shivers when I consider the possibility that some of our "leaders" would meet aliens.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic