Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

Postby everything on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 pm

As a UPS employee Amazon is a threat even though they put money in our pockets they are cutting into the package industry and paying some of the lowest wages amd not giving any benefits.

This is something I feel bad about. It's the Walmart-ization thing, but kind of worse and invisible (people see Walmart eroding mom and pops on Main St.; with Amazon it's all basically hidden as we sit on our couch at home). At the same time, I shop at Amazon and Walmart and Target a lot. Further at the same time, as a businessperson, I admire Amazon and almost worked for them and still might. I work in another industry that is commoditized by Amazon to some extent as well. Amazon calls it a flywheel: set low prices, attract more traffic and customers, be more able to set low prices. Spin the flywheel faster. Even FB and Google are threatened in the ad market. Hence Google and Walmart are teaming up. People like to have their stuff fast and at low prices. Amazon wants to grow and "defer profits". But exploiting labor, getting rid of benefits, getting rid of mom and pops. Also getting rid of a lot of enterprise software (which has massive inefficiencies). Is this capitalism gone amok? This is greater than the FB issues imho, and again I don't really know what we're supposed to do. The rich get richer and everyone else does not.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Amazon started by selling books. Bookstores were closing already; the small ones that used to exist were driven out of business by Barnes and Nobles, etc. Brick and mortar bookstores were just middlemen to the consumers. Amazon was simply the more convenient, cheaper, and reliable option. UPS would not be shipping books if not for Amazon, and later B&N, etc. The model works for the consumer. Amazon today is the equivalent of the Sears catalog a century ago. It allows people to get things they would otherwise not have been able to or even have known about.

I don't always buy from Amazon, but I usually use it for comparison shopping. Then again, I'm in NYC and can get to discount stores. However, it all depends on what I'm buying. And, nowadays, most of the things I want are sold at stores that are already online. The difference is often the cost of shipping, not the way I purchase.

Stores may be dead, but that's been a long time coming. Back in the day, there was a store for everything, from bread to needle and thread in every neighborhood. There were diners, not Subways and Starbucks. There's no way things can go back to the way they were for me, long before Amazon, Walmart, Target, and the rest. Otoh, that was when you had to wait until 9 on Monday, and stand in line, to get cash. Nope. There's probably no going back --barring an apocalypse :).

Imo, what just might destroy UPS would be an application of the UBER idea to delivering goods. It's already being done with food and groceries. It'll all come down to the people who spend the cash, no matter who makes the profit.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 pm

In UPS's union contract lay offs are allowed. UPS would not be destroyed if Amazon stopped using them. In fact UPS now delivers Saturdays to satisy Amazon as does USPS on Amazon only Sundays.

Two decades ago UPS primarly business to business. Delivery to resi is relatively newer in the history of UPS. I mention this because I often hear people say that Amazon will ruin UPS both within and without but the fact is UPS will be fine, although the stock will drop, the hours will go down, there will be less full time drivers, the costs of running UPS will go down too and it will be a smaller operation.

But if worse comes to worse than it will be time to use my CDL and drive a bus or a big rig. Bad things happen in life and it is important to be prepared.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 pm

It is odd how Amazon works. Before they would bring things to you and now with the purchase of Whole Foods, opening book stores, shops w/o checkouts and of course their streaming service they will have a finger in each and every pie.

I imagine a career as an actual employee in management for Amazon would be very lucrative.

I agree that Amazon is the new Wal-mart. I was surprised to hear that Amazon is Wal-Mart's competition but it makes sense since like Wal-Mart used to do they offer low prices with an even larger selection.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 am

I forgot about the Sears catalog. It is like that, but on a larger scale, probably, due to all of the B2B technical services (the profitable section of the company).

A management or technical career there can be lucrative, but the cost of housing in Seattle is growing faster than anywhere else. Maybe to NYC and SF people, it's affordable.

Definitely the people with the cash want the convenience. I recently tried Prime Now to get some groceries and items in 2 hours for a reasonably small fee considering the gas and time savings and hassle avoided. Was pretty good, but usually I'd prefer to go to a physical store.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

Maybe to NYC and SF people, it's affordable.

Nah, they're definitely too expensive. I'd say cities like Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta or are more affordable. Miami might be a good choice, but I have no idea about the costs there.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am

I think the FB (and social media) issue is directly related to martial arts. Before the internet, people had to meet up face to face to know anything about each other. There was just as much ego, but much less opportunity for exaggeration. And, people seemed to be much more open to different things. They hadn't made up their minds before they even heard about something.

The FB/sm connection is apparent in stories about tcc masters against mma guys or other martial artists. It's really not necessary to watch. The debate is already laid out.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Read today that Instagram is turning into FB.

I think the author means too many ads.

Analyzed from both networks.

No doubt some new media will be popular.

Then the investors will demand monetization.

I think some of these factors we discuss are reasons I now prefer sports. No b.s. No beating each other up. Still the adrenaline rush, just enough good stress, no screens or digital tech.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 pm

True that! Sports is one of the only "safe" topics these days.

Also it is official that Amazon is getting into the health-care industry.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 am

I think we'd all like to see our healthcare costs lowered.

Whomever benefits from the current inefficiencies might not be happy.

Also, if you get only 3 minutes with your doctor that doesn't sound good.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm

True that.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and others are combining to create a health care plan for,their employees. The difference is that it won't be based on profit, so the cost to the employee will be lower. It just means that the companies will deal directly with the providers --thus skipping the insurer middleman.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 am

If it is Amazon money will always be center stage.

Per typical tech company fashion, the initiative's goal is to disrupt an old industry by providing technological solutions and, in turn, simplify and decrease the expenses of the process for consumers.

https://mashable.com/2018/01/30/amazon- ... morgan.amp

Pardon me for being a skeptic but it sounds like a typical Trumped up propaganda commercial hearing Amazon say that they are entering the industry to help people and families everywhere.

Saying that i hope they do but to me reading what Amazon is telling the press sounds like another product being launched with the news being used for free advertising. Sounds like a new iphone being released "which will change the world." I hope I am wrong.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Skepticism is healthy. But the argument against Amazon should be that it hurts consumers. The question is whether its health care program benefits its workers and their families. It will either be better or worse for them.

Amazon isn't the only participant, though.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

True and I am commenting on Amazon's newest venture while watching Dirty Money on Netflix so I am a little biased.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links