TED alternative

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

TED alternative

Postby KEND on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 am

I have found TED of late has veered away from its original purpose of presenting leading edge subjects without censorship.Their rejection of Sheldrake.Lipton and others who didn't toe the line caused me to look for alternatives. Here is one
THE INSTITUTE OF ART AND IDEAS - "EUROPE'S ANSWER TO TED"‎
Adwww.iai.tv/debates‎
Cutting edge debates and talks from the world's leading thinkers
Back to big thinking – The Guardian
KEND
Great Old One

Re: TED alternative

Postby everything on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 am

I got super turned off by TED due to several reasons

• overexposure
  • being forced at work to do TED like talks
  • Amy Cuddy's stupid derivative posture talk (what IMA person wouldn't know that already) as if she fucking invented posture and breathwork, and people eating it up
  • more stupid bullshit like that
  • incredibly bad, local TEDx talks where people don't realize how bad they are like when they sing karaoke
  • that hilarious parody talk where someone deliberately talks content-free but uses all the usual gimmicks of delivery

if your content is shit, put it in a blog post that no one will read. or respond on a forum hahahaha.
Last edited by everything on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Everything is about branding. Supposedly years ago Sarah Silverman had an incident where she gave a Ted talk and it was banned from being released because it was too edgy. I don't watch Ted talks because they are Ted talks I will watch them if they are discussing a topic I am interested in already which means I probably 1 every few months. The last one I saw was against facebook as am I. Yet the Ted talk was the only platform that had this message other than individual youtubers ranting so there is something to be said about that and of course in typical Ted talk fashion the theme was your life will better without facebook which seems to be included in every Ted talk and I can see how quickly that would get old.

Perhaps they should have a stream where you go back and forth betweem Ted Talks and Worldstar fights.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Too much hackery and branding.

Originally, I liked a lot of their content.

Now you could probably get on their roster for talking about how humans farting contributes to global warming or some such.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Hahaha yeah.

For good content there are many great podcasts. It's not curated under one brand but there are many other markers of quality or popularity, so it's pretty easy to find some good stuff.

Sorta like looking for IMA videos haha.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Here is Sarah Silverman talking about her experience with Ted.

https://youtu.be/6PpXPra_Olg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Like all things some good some bad
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Agreed. I am not bothered either way I do find it odd to invite a comedian and to then become shocked by that comedian's comments.

But yes, Ted has good stuff although it is packaged as if everyone were a motivational speaker.

I do remember seeing some good stuff on organic gardending which I found helpful when I was getting started.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic