Something is going wrong in Afghanistan

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Something is going wrong in Afghanistan

Postby grzegorz on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:58 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Something is going wrong in Afghanistan

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 am

The thing is: we already know that the actual situation there or on any issue is irrelevant to what we'll be told --which is that either we've won or we're winning. There'll be a big grin, and pats on the back. Any report to the contrary will be described as criminal. Anyone who reports it will be labeled an "enemy of the people." Anyway, nowadays there is a lot more media commentary on tweets than on casualties in our many wars.

Well, nowadays, saying that we're winning is what winning means. I.e., winning does not mean fewer casualties (military and civilian) or spending less money or even the end of hostilities. Wars without goals don't end, but they are still profitable.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 pm

It makes sense!
News today is scripted that if one were to assess the news from even FOX and NBC or CBS, one will realize the same propaganda (at least use of a command news hq)-BTW it has been done ;D ) will see the same order of words and word for word repetition. Actually, from a low opium production of pre US occupation and today, opium yield has increased over 100% to a present high of 92% or so distribution.

So much for US assistance in dealing with drug production! Jus' saying US intervention actally assisted in the increase one might say ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Aw, the whole opioid "crisis" comes from the fact that heroin is cheaper and easier to get than Percocet, Oxycodone, and other prescription pain killers. We pay for opium production (directly or indirectly), and the drug companies profit from their drugs. And, it's ironic that the drug companies make the anti-overdose drugs like naloxone.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:53 pm

I've always thought that we should invest in countries like Afghanistan by encouraging our pharmaceutical companies to buy their raw materials there for purposes of legitimate drug production. That would bring much wealth to the common people of the country and draw them away from selling their supplies to the terrorists who run the black market, thus diminishing their economic and sociopolitical capital.
jimmy
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Another article I saw just today.

We're Never Going To 'Win' In Afghanistan

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-never-g ... soc_trk=ma
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:59 pm

yeniseri wrote:It makes sense!
News today is scripted that if one were to assess the news from even FOX and NBC or CBS, one will realize the same propaganda (at least use of a command news hq)-BTW it has been done ;D ) will see the same order of words and word for word repetition. Actually, from a low opium production of pre US occupation and today, opium yield has increased over 100% to a present high of 92% or so distribution.

So much for US assistance in dealing with drug production! Jus' saying US intervention actally assisted in the increase one might say ???

I agree instead all we are hearing about is this manufactured memo story.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Yeah, as if it's a big story. But, what's the media to do --and it's not the msm either. As if it's not discussed everywhere else even more. Afghanistan is a real issue. Meh, it's boring.

My advice is to enjoy this time in your life. It ain't gonna last that long --one way or the other. So, don't get upset. Better to prepare for the worst than to complain. Laughter is also good, even if it's morbid humor.

And, believe me, there'll be plenty of jokes about this period. If ya try to be too serious, you'll go nuts.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 am

True that Steve.

Unfortunately dark morbid humor doesn't always translate through text.

But yes, fair enough. I believe what we are experiencing a taste of the way of life for most of the world where people become politicians to get rich.

I have been focussing more on international news from non-US sources to escape the bubble of the US being the only place in the world that matters. The fact is the world is moving on with or without us.

Also it is a good time to reflect on history to get a perspective on what is happening today.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 am

jimmy wrote:I've always thought that we should invest in countries like Afghanistan by encouraging our pharmaceutical companies to buy their raw materials there for purposes of legitimate drug production. That would bring much wealth to the common people of the country and draw them away from selling their supplies to the terrorists who run the black market, thus diminishing their economic and sociopolitical capital.

I agree with idea of the post.
In Poland , in my young days growin` poppy was quite legal and popular due to traditional kitchen /lot of poppy's seeds usage/ .
so,
our pharmaceutical companies was buying raw materials from locals farms. Now, growing is no legal any more and we have to buy raw opium for legal prescription drugs, not to mention poppy seeds!
It can be quite rewarding to investigate biggest > legal< opium producers...
but
this is somehow kinda side kick of the main topic here, sorry G.
anyway
Afghanistan has long history as the drugs producer, not only opium 8-)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 am

Well, there'll be more theater because the Dems want to publish their rebuttal to the memo. I have to admit that I'm more interested and seeing what the Reps didn't want to be seen.

Anyway, life's a mix of tragedy and comedy. Your choice.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:04 am

The country in the thread title should be the US. I'm watching a political ad saying that the middle class tax cuts are working. Duh. The ink on the paper ain't dry, and I've yet to get all my tax forms. Speaking of which, anybody notice how much the national debt has increased? Up by almost 85%. Oh well, the individual tax cuts are temporary. The corporate cuts are permanent. So, in 4 or 5 years, hopefully individuals will have saved enough.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 am

What's good for GM is good for America.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Of course Trump cut off aid to Pakistan so I am sure the Taliban and IS will now have a safe haven there.

@Michael, Have you seen Conspiracies on Netflix?
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic