Tai ji Qin Na

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai ji Qin Na

Postby Bhassler on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Just to clarify, when I said both were missing details of execution, I meant the chin na in Mizner's video and a punch from 6 feet away.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Kanken on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Last edited by Kanken on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanken
Santi

Postby chinwoo1956 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:57 am

No more clips of Qin Na please ??
chinwoo1956
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Why is that
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Yes, why not? This last video of Paul doing his stuff is definitely worth posting.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby chinwoo1956 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Oliver you have got to be or must be one of his students??. or its Paul

If the real martial / fighting skills of Qin Na and striking are practiced in your art through the method of Push Hands then OK, more videos please ?.
chinwoo1956
Mingjing

Postby Oliver 101 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 am

chinwoo1956 wrote:Oliver you have got to be or must be one of his students??. or its Paul

If the real martial / fighting skills of Qin Na and striking are practiced in your art through the method of Push Hands then OK, more videos please ?.

Sure, i´m one of Paul´s students from germany. I said that before.
There is not only tuishou, dashou and sanshou are the next steps, but i´m not sure if Paul wants to show this in public.
Maybe you can show us some of your skills on video?
Oliver 101
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 am

How does your sifu feel about the way you are representing him in this thread, with the insults and what not
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 am

Can we stay on the topic of this post please. There is a lot to be learned from Paul's videos if we look closely.

Oliver seems to be polite enough, he just made a very important point in the above post which could be discussed.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 am

he just made a very important point in the above post which could be discussed....

The real secret is the skill how to set up the qin na with strikes....

There is not only tuishou, dashou and sanshou are the next steps

This common Process in Taiji is a good thing to discuss IMO. But in the larger context of fighting rather than the limited context of traditional Taiji.

Going from no contact > Contact > retain contact takes skill of course, even before we think of things like ChinNa or Striking. The problem with beginning all demonstrations from beyond this point and at the level of Push Hands is that this vital phase of the fight is absent. Of course i am sure Paul addresses this in his personal teaching, but for the sake of discussion...

I would be interested in how people solve this problem? I have my thoughts but this thread is an exploration of the methods in the videos.

Secondly and relevant to the ChinNa techniques shown.
When I make contact, the instant i make contact, i want my partner/opponent offbalance, then having to recover their centre in some way. I like this idea because during this 'recovery phase' my partners attacking options are extremely limited. It is something Sam Chin and some Daito Ryu Masters can be seen to express, but that seems to be absent from Pauls demonstrations which offbalance during/as part of a technique. I am in not suggesting it is absent because of lack of skill, it is obviously not part of his method, so ....

Can anyone explain the idea behind leaving the partner with the majority of their balance? Is it to increase the stable mass opposing the lock and therefore increasing the Locks damaging capabilities?

thanks in advance.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby chinwoo1956 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am

Hi Oliver

I am sorry didn't realize that you were a student of Paul's. Its great to know that he has others skill that he shows you , you are a lucky student, keep up the hard work.
chinwoo1956
Mingjing

Postby lineofintent on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Chris how are you ?

one way of explaining maybe

'Take his mind away from this one..' 41-43 seconds on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs7-RzCLJ4

Video doesn't catch what the other guy is feeling, enough to say that Paul can move his mind and effect the partner's mind extremely fast (in this video you can get a small sense of it). He can do it in Da shou (with striking etc) and San Shou (free do what ever you want). You can try and root, you can move, stable mass or fast motion doesn't matter... somewhere your balance and center will be taken, tiny or obvious, in a flash it is gone. The balance taken maybe physical or mental.

I guess if he was of a more commercial mind-set he would be a 'big name', but he is old school and wont teach teachers or those who come with a full cup or arrogance.

Anyway, his films are full of deep skills for those with time to watch.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Taijikid on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Paul, please show the counters.
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby middleway on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 am

hi Alex, Very well bro hope you are as well.

Yes taking the mind with a strike, faint, draw or angle change is very useful. It is something i use as i am sure you know. I appreciate the video doesnt show feeling especially how the mind is taken. It does show level of attacking intent or will to stop someone however and the partner in the video you posted is loose and lacking any real will to stop paul. In a friendly demonstration this should still be present in my opinion. Not to say that the partner should be fighting of course, simply that they should be 'switched on'. Then we can see the methods in their true colour.

Regardless, Paul shows good JuJutsu here and of course i appreciate that.

Thanks for the reply. For the record, as you know very well about me, I do not care who is famous, what their style, fame, 'name', lineage etc is. None of that means anything at all to me. We are all, when all is said and done, just people. :) There is no need for anyone to be arrogent and no one is above anyone on earth. With this mindset all discussions remain civil.

Pauls decisions on who he teaches or not are completely his own of course and i very much respect his position.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 am

That good you are well Chris, I am fine thanks

Yes the only way to know what happens when an attacker is 'switched on' is to go for it with your teacher !

Once the student reaiise that the teacher is far beyond you in skill, they can loosen mind and body and start to observe what he is actually trying to teach.

ie. This was a video record for the students in Germany, not for 'demo'...the guys there all know that however fast or whatever intention they use its same result.
lineofintent
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links