Found My First Computer

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Found My First Computer

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

I was searching through some old boxes and found my first 'computer'. The Pickett N1010-ES Trig Duplex Slide Rule

10 inches of pure nerd appeal !!

Check out all the cool features...

This ten-inch aluminum linear slide rule has a yellow ("eye saver") coating and a nylon indicator. The front of the base has L, DF, D, and DI scales, with B, ST, T, S, and C scales on the slide. The back of the base has K, A, D, and DI scales, with CF, CIF, CI, and C scales on the slide. A black leather case is lined in pink plastic. The back of the case has a metal ring for attaching to a belt.

You could wear it like a sword !

It was computers like this that put a man on the moon.
Last edited by Bill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Found My First Computer

Postby Bill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:55 am

Here's a link to a short intro into what slide rules are used for you young-uns who have never seen or used one.

https://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/sliderules/
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:03 pm

The other day while cleaning out a closet I found an old Sterling. Fortunately, I had stored the instructions with it. I only vaguely remembered how it worked. It is unsurprising to me that one of the very first commercial successes in microcircuitry consumer electronics was the you-know-what.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 am

I still have my Pickett. It was wider than yours, and white, and had all the hyperbolic trig tables that we used for transmission line calc's.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:34 am

I, many moons ago, jotted this in the margin of my slide rule instructions:

IF y is not equal to 0...

x+y = ((x/y) +1) y

x-y = ((x/y) - 1) y
Last edited by klonk on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic