Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 am

Last edited by Steve James on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I see the vid from the LAPD Rampart scandal. Back in 1999, Denzel played a cop loosely based on that story in Training Day. Great film.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Well, I'm just trying to point out that, from the perspectives of many people living in highly policed areas, someone claiming to have been brutalized by corrupt police officers is not disbelieved. For many, the police are just another gang. The innocent people are caught in the middle. That doesn't mean that all cops are corrupt or bad.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm

For many, the police are just another gang. That doesn't mean that all cops are corrupt or bad.

That was partly my perception just from the local media growing up in a rarely policed neighborhood in Dallas and I don't think the local TV and print were trying to accentuate the problem in the 70's and early 80's.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Chris Rock has a new show where goes straight into talking about the police. I absolutely agrees with everything he says.

I think one thr bjgger issues in the United Shates is that someone can be a cop with only a high school degree whereas in the EU you are required to have a university degree and in the EU police shootings are extremely rare.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am

Not sure if cdobe peruses OffTopic, but I heard that police in Germany receive 3 years of training? Too lazy to google. Just so obvious the training for most LEO's in America has a lot of room for improvement.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Not sure about every country but in Europe most police have a degree. I get the impression that it is a lot like becoming an officer in the military in their selection process. Some departments here require a 2 year degree.

I imagine when people have other options you are more likely to get people who really want to be there instead of people who don't have too many other options for a good job.

Where I work the pay is very high unfortunately we usually get people who don't have other options who stick it out to go full time while those with options leave, except me because I am a stubborn mofo.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:23 pm

On Sunday night, police were responding to reports of a black male breaking into a car and hiding in a backyard, officials said.

When the responding officers arrived at the scene, they said Clark advanced toward them with an object in his hand, police said. Initial reports said Clark was armed with a gun and then later a "toolbar."

But the only object found on Clark was a cellphone, police later said.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:06 pm

The news report said after he was shot, cops had a little meeting, turned the audio on their body cams off, and waited six minutes to give first aid. There's one obvious motive for such behavior: victim as a witness changes drastically the courtroom dynamic.

News report also said he was outside his grandmother's house, suggesting (but not yet confirmed) that everything he did was innocent and non-criminal, just another call to police about an unknown suspect.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Let's remember that police are often heroes, perhaps even the same law enforcement officer may be a hero on one occasion and succumb to fear on a different day.

With that in mind, a hero's tale. In the past days in France, Lieutenant Colonel Lieutenant Colonel Arnaud Beltrame of the police, who was responding to an Islamic terrorist who'd taken several hostages in a supermarket, gave himself in exchange for a female hostage after other police and hostages had been shot. Knowing his chances for survival were poor, he volunteered himself and left his cell phone hidden and with an open connection so police outside could monitor.

When police heard the shots inside, they entered and killed the Islamic terrorist on a killing spree who'd pledged himself to IS. Lt. Col. Beltrame was gravely injured and died later in hospital.

NPR: French Police Officer Who Traded Himself For A Hostage Has Died
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 am

Well, no one complains about hero police officers or firemen who lose their lives saving others. Victims of police shootings don't get parades; and, when they do get together to protest, they're considered anti-police, not anti police brutality.

I was going to post that the shooting in Greg's video shouldn't be newsworthy because there have been examples of people being shot with their hands up, following instructions, running away, sitting in their cars, etc., none of whom holding weapons. It's not worth news because what happens is that there'll simply be arguments explaining why the police were justified.

Hey, sometimes they most certainly are, especially when they're taking fire or being attacked. However, there should be severe consequences for mistakes. A guy in NYC was shot because of his wallet; this guy was shot with a cell phone. Outrage is useless --to me, but it's as understandable as holding a parade for a hero. The damage is done. It doesn't matter who the victim was. The city should pay big time.

Of course, rethinking the event, imagine if everybody started carrying.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:25 am

If they really waited 6 minutes to give first aid, how about a negligent homicide investigation?
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:36 am

I haven't really paid much attention to the details of the story. What I heard was that there was a report of vandalism. The police investigated, saw someone, and they felt they had to shoot. They say that they saw a gun, but all that was found was a cellphone. At least we know that no one (has) tried to plant a weapon in order to justify the shooting. But, it was dark; they were afraid; the gun died. I don't think they should go to jail. I don't really care. I think that the family of the father who was killed should be compensated. Ten million would be way too little.

In this case, a court trial would just be a show.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:08 am

They don't need to plant anything once they get their stories straight (body cam mics off) and there's no witness or breathing victim to contradict any of their testimony.

Once the police experts get up there and explain to the jury that the only possible thing they could do was empty their clips, they could play the chopper gun cam footage from collateral murder and that grand jury would still refuse to cross the thin blue line.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic