So long, Conor...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: So long, Conor...

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm

I don't follow the UFC anymore but I was under the impression that Connor was going to lose his belt for not fighting at least according to people I know who watch the UFC.

Anyone know?

I am always amazed how someone can ruin their lives and destroy everything they worked for in just a few seconds.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 am

grzegorz wrote:I don't follow the UFC anymore but I was under the impression that Connor was going to lose bis belt for not fighting at least according to people I know who watch the UFC.

Anyone know?

I am always amazed how someone can ruin their lives and destroy everything they worked for in just a few seconds.

Correct. Conor held two belts at one time: featherweight 145 lbs (Jose Aldo) and lightweight 155 lbs (Eddie Alvarez). He never defended either belt and was stripped of both; the latest on this last Saturday. Since, he was busy with moving up, Mayweather. family, partying, etc.

Even without a belt, Conor is likely still UFC's biggest draw. IMO, Khabib (russian) the new lightweight champion is sort of boring. Because, he mostly wrestles/submits. Khabib's standup is not great. And, he keeps his chin up.

I don't believe Conor is ruined. Most likely the felony will be plead down. I think he will fight again to cover some of these potential lawsuits. Dana will decide Conors punishment over the next few weeks. Jon Jones set the precedence by getting suspended for six months after a hit-and-run accident that police say left a pregnant woman with a broken arm.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 am

Money definitely talks.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 am

Wow, the DA definitely softballed the charges against Conor. Considering everything that happened that is really surprising.

His real problem is now Department of State. I cannot see them being anywhere near that forgiving.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 am

Americans love celebrities...

All things being equal, the UFC needs Connor more than he needs them.

The reason I stopped watching was because the people I used to watch for and knew of would lose their contract after two losses.

I think Pride got it right by keeping the fan favorites despite losses.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 am

Unless he does a sing-along with Cat Stevens, the Dept. of State or Homeland won't care after all but one small misdemeanor is dropped after there are no complainants to proceed with the case since McGregor will pay off all those on the bus who got "injured".
Michael

Postby .Q. on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 am

The three misdemeanor counts of assault carry a maximum of one year in prison each with a $1,000 fine. The felony criminal mischief stems from the amount of damage caused to the bus, which was in excess of $1,500. That charge comes along with a maximum jail sentence of seven years.

Man, US laws really have weird priorities. Assault someone can get you 1 year. Breaking properties just over $1500 can get you 7. Next time you need to lash out on anger, make sure to hit people instead of property.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:45 pm

I finally saw a photo of the guy White said was cut to pieces
He had a dribble of blood on his forehead
Give me a break
They get cut up like more than that hitting the heavy bag
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Maybe, but it's up to the commission to decide whether a fighter is medically sound.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 am

this has to be a publicity stunt...

first of all--
the ufc guy- is doing way to many interviews...
about this happened and this is what will happen now...

usually if something is going to trail
don't you want to not create a mistrail..
and only say-- the least amount possible
and that it has been turned over to the police to investigate...

also
he flew a group of more then 20 thugs across the atlantic...
and all they did was throw a hand truck at a buss...
that's a lot of work for nothing..
or like the most non thug thugs ever...

maybe ufc lost the spotlight...
so they have to make some news...
to get poeple interested...

idk- i don't really pay attention to that stuff (ufc)

::)

edit-
also the russian guy is all like
"why did he not come on the buss to fight me"
"i will fight him anytime anywhere.. i am so bad ass..."

why he did not just get off the buss and handle his business...

that would have been a better publicity stunt..
at least more interesting for me..

it would have been captured on the security camera...
Last edited by Franklin on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 am

Franklin wrote:this has to be a publicity stunt...

first of all--
the ufc guy- is doing way to many interviews...
about this happened and this is what will happen now...

usually if something is going to trail
don't you want to not create a mistrail..
and only say-- the least amount possible
and that it has been turned over to the police to investigate...

also
he flew a group of more then 20 thugs across the atlantic...
and all they did was throw a hand truck at a buss...
that's a lot of work for nothing..
or like the most non thug thugs ever...

maybe ufc lost the spotlight...
so they have to make some news...
to get poeple interested...

idk- i don't really pay attention to that stuff (ufc)

::)

It appears, Conor himself planned it as a publicity stunt without the knowledge of Dana White/the UFC. As, Dana's stance changed here . . .

From Dana White: 'A lot worse' in other sports than McGregor, incidenthttp://www.nydailynews.com/spor ... -1.3922180:
ZACHARY RIPPLE on April 8, 2018 wrote:Dana White was sure upset in the immediate aftermath of Conor McGregor attack on a Barclays Center bus Thursday, but the UFC president seems to have softened his stance.

White, who called McGregor’s incident “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of our company,” backed off his previous comments Saturday at UFC 223 when he claimed that “a lot worse” goes on in other sports.

“People says to me, ‘Oh this looks so bad for the sport,’ and everything else," White said Saturday, according to a USA Today report. “I agree, it doesn’t look good. But at the end of the day, there’s a lot worse that goes on in all the other sports, so I’ll take a dolly through a window any day."

From UFC's Dana White doesn't rule out Conor McGregor fight, https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/u ... 497321002/:
Josh Peter, USA TODAY Sports on April 8, 2018 wrote:UFC president Dana White did not rule out the possibility of Conor McGregor fighting in September when asked Saturday night.

White said he and McGregor talked Friday, a day after the UFC star allegedly attacked a bus and injured other UFC fighters.

Asked how the conversation with McGregor went, White said, "Yeah, it’s good. I think that there’s a mutual respect between us."

While not closing the door on McGregor fighting later this year, White refused to elaborate on the matter during a news conference following the UFC’s fight card in Brooklyn Saturday. He pointed out McGregor is due in court in June. His next scheduled court date is June 14.

McGregor faces up to 11 years in prison for two felony charges, according to New York sentencing guidelines. But three former New York prosecutors told USA TODAY Sports it is unlikely McGregor will serve significant, if any, jail time.

After White said a fight in September had been discussed, a reporter asked if the fight was still possible?

"I don’t know,"
White said. "You can’t ask me anything about Conor. I don’t know anything about Conor. I haven’t thought about it. There’s nothing to think about this week I think except for this event."

But White, less than 48 hours after he said “absolutely not” when asked if he wanted to be in business with McGregor, clearly had softened his stance.

"I had so many things thrown at me this week," White said. "To focus on this show was insane. We’ll get back and focus on Conor McGregor."

McGregor's manager, Audie Attar, on Friday issued a statement that read in part, "(McGregor) looks forward to getting back to fighting as soon as possible."

Franklin wrote:edit-
also the russian guy is all like
"why did he not come on the buss to fight me"
"i will fight him anytime anywhere.. i am so bad ass..."

why he did not just get off the buss and handle his business...

that would have been a better publicity stunt..
at least more interesting for me..

it would have been captured on the security camera...

The van driver would not open the door. Also, Khabib did not want to lose his payday in the ring due to injury, etc. Most likely, Conor didn't want to fight him either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1GQxJJ25Y
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 am

its just pure professional wrestling theatre...

complete with the trash talking interviews after the spectacle...

lol.. the bus driver would not open the door...

Franklin
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:37 am

Franklin wrote:its just pure professional wrestling theatre...

complete with the trash talking interviews after the spectacle...

lol.. the bus driver would not open the door...

Yes. It is common sense not to open the van door, when there is a gang pounding on the van to open the door, shattered glass by a thrown hand truck and injuries.

Maybe, it's a well thought out publicity stunt by Conor. :)
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm

As a publicity stunt, the assumption is that it would be for Conor --except he wasn't fighting. Afa promotion, there's lots more tangible, guaranteed, money with a McGregor/Mayweather bout in the UFC --using whatever rules are set.

It's also true, imho, that serving time in jail would only add to the luster of his comeback. There have been plenty of bad boys in boxing. Of course, Peacedog is right that, as an alien, a felony conviction might result in deportation. Imo, that would make any attempt at publicity through these sort of actions exceptionally stupid.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:53 pm

The bad thing about this is that Conor pulled this in the worst possible state: New York.

MMA was only just legalized in NY, last month I believe. It has been a long hard road to get there, and then Conor flies in with his crew and does this.

NY has had an MMA fight scene that has been underground for a long time, with non-sanctioned (illegal) matches happening under the radar (though the police - who either train MMA or are fans - didn't shut the matches down as long as they weren't publicly promoted).
Fortunately this didn't happen a month ago, or Governor Cuomo probably wouldn't have signed the bill legalizing it.

If this had happened in Nevada (Las Vegas) it would not be as big a deal, but NY is not as forgiving.

I also agree with Peacedog that Conor may not be able to travel into the US again.
Last edited by chud on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic