Syria Now

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Syria Now

Postby emptycloud on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:59 pm

emptycloud

Re: Syria Now

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Peter Ford: "Assad was already winning in Ghouta. Why would he do the one thing that would pluck defeat from the jaws of victory?"
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Well, that's like asking a thief why he robbed a bank with cameras. It's the same answer: because he thought he could get away with it. It's the same as asking why the Nazis would invade Poland.

The practical question is what should be done. ... I'm going to watch FOX later on to hear what they say. Trump says we're going to do something. Putin says he'll shoot our missiles down. Trump then says don't worry the missiles will be nice and "smart." So, I was waiting to see whether these were bluffs, and who'd call. It'd be interesting to see whether Russia has that capability, and equally interesting to see whether we would overcome it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPO5AXDHQg
Last edited by Steve James on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:43 pm

I watched Hannity for a while. He's outraged that Hillary hasn't been indicted for the emails (about ?) that she destroyed, and that the FBI and "mainstream media" (i.e., not FOX, "America's Most Watched") dishonestly covered it up. There was also someone who argued that Trump's turn on the TPP was a good thing.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Steve, if you listen to the six minute video from the OP, you will hear former UK ambassador to Syria Peter Ford explain why your comparison of Assad to a bank robber is not apt. When questioned by the interviewer, he says it's so obvious that a child could see it.

Tucker Carlson made his analysis a few days ago and asks some good questions about the recent accusation of the Syrian govt using chemical weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M28aYkLRlm0
Michael

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Are the US and EU governments into this conflict with a humanitarian heart for the people of Syria or is it because of something else? Get the feeling that US/EU seem to be the aggressors wanting to attack another nation
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Michael wrote:Peter Ford: "Assad was already winning in Ghouta. Why would he do the one thing that would pluck defeat from the jaws of victory?"

Probably because Trump announced that the US was finished in Syria.

I hear the reason Obama went to Congress was because it was hard to find hard evidence that Assad was behind the chemical attacks. Unfortunately with the Russians blocking a complete UN investigation we may never know but being that they are blocking an investigation tells me that they probably have something to hide.

Yet to me gassing is no different than killing civilians so I do find it interesting that Trump would decide that now is the time for action. But it is easy to criticize from the sidelines. Hopefully Trump takes finding solid evidence as seriously as Obama did. Macron claims to have that solid evidence btw.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 am

Trick wrote:Are the US and EU governments into this conflict with a humanitarian heart for the people of Syria or is it because of something else? Get the feeling that US/EU seem to be the aggressors wanting to attack another nation

No EU country wants war in Syria.

I don't know how it is to be an American, but you who live in the US, don't you feel rage against the government who is always prepared to throw away young american lives when oil comes into play? The US never cares about genocides, or anything that happens in Africa or in any non-oil country. But as soon oil comes int play, they seem to always be eager to start war. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Are the US and EU governments into this conflict with a humanitarian heart for the people of Syria or is it because of something else? Get the feeling that US/EU seem to be the aggressors wanting to attack another nation

UK and France(their governments) seem hot on it
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 am

And the Swedish PM who stood faithfully nodding with the UK PM just a couple of days ago
Trick

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 am

UK is more or less not a part of EU anymore. France, I have no idea what they want. Swedish PM? Sweden won't send any troops anyway, just a few medical staff as usual, just to look good in the eyes of the others. Sweden nods, but will just put in as little effort as possible. Would be more honest to say no. But the Swedish "PM" is just a common swede like so many others, who smiles to look good, and think that smiling is good enough, but have no interest to put in some real effort. :/
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 am

Well there is an ongoing push/pull for Sweden to join NATO, and Sweden has had (maybe still?)battle ready troops in Afganistan(there have been casualties). If I recall right the terror bomb attack in Stockholm in 2010 was supposed to have something to do with Swedens military engagement in Afganistan
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 am

Michael wrote:Steve, if you listen to the six minute video from the OP, you will hear former UK ambassador to Syria Peter Ford explain why your comparison of Assad to a bank robber is not apt. When questioned by the interviewer, he says it's so obvious that a child could see it.

Tucker Carlson made his analysis a few days ago and asks some good questions about the recent accusation of the Syrian govt using chemical weapons.

Like I said, I watched FOX News --and I saw Tucker Carlsen's remarks. But, here's my assessment, given that I know just as much about what happened as you or Tucker Carlsen. If your question is "Why would Assad do this now," my question is "Why were the victims of the attack his enemies?" Iow, assuming that Assad didn't do it, why would the rebels bomb their own children?

Of course, the argument could be that the rebels made a mistake, or that some other group (even US/UK) wanted to make Assad look bad. If it was the rebels, one would ask why they haven't used their gas on Assad's troops, or on the Russians.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 am

emptycloud

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:40 am

Trick wrote:
Bao wrote:

UK and France(their governments) seem hot on it

UK and France are not "the EU."

Two NATO countries would have been accurate.

I would like to see what Macron has as evidence.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic