Attentional shift

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Attentional shift

Postby Yeung on Wed May 09, 2018 4:30 am

(redirected from Neural mechanisms behind shifts of attention)

Attentional shift (or shift of attention) occurs when directing attention to a point to increase the efficiency of processing that point and includes inhibition to decrease attentional resources to unwanted or irrelevant inputs. Shifting of attention is needed to allocate attentional resources to more efficiently process information from a stimulus. Research has shown that when an object or area is attended, processing operates more efficiently. Task switching costs occur when performance on a task suffers due to the increased effort added in shifting attention. There are competing theories that attempt to explain why and how attention is shifted as well as how attention is moved through space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attentional_shift
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Attentional shift

Postby dragonprawn on Wed May 23, 2018 7:00 pm

This relates to the class project I do on the Stroop effect each semester. Been around since 1935 and still not fully understood.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Re: Attentional shift

Postby Yeung on Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 am

dragonprawn wrote:This relates to the class project I do on the Stroop effect each semester. Been around since 1935 and still not fully understood.

Thanks, and it works in some areas such as dyslexia:

Theory behind Stroop Effect: Dyslexia: learning disability, characterized by a difficulty in reading. Individuals with dyslexia are expected to demonstrate better results to the Stroop test, being able to identify the colour of a word faster than individuals without dyslexia.
Reference: prezi.com/cyvtpn8piylf/the-stroop-effect-and-dyslexia/

My interest is whether there is a difference between attention and intention in Internal Martial Arts.
Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan