The last Samurai

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The last Samurai

Postby warriorprincess on Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 am

warriorprincess
Anjing

Re: The last Samurai

Postby Bao on Wed May 16, 2018 5:03 am

Sorry, but that guy doesn't look even remotely close to Tom Cruise. :P

... ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am

Excellent photo collection, thanks for sharing. (Although I wish they didn't do that silly coloring on some of them...)
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 am

Fantastic presentation and good job vetting the photos. Very little to quibble about in the descriptions. Thanks for sharing!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Always interesting to see historical pic's as these....I'm not versed in how to handle the Japanese sword except for the very little Bokken experience I got from my now long time ago Aikido practice...In the above pic of the Samurai I notice how he grip the sword and his out pointing elbows, well he's a Samurai so obvious he got it right,,but you guys who are long timers in traditional JMA's what's your opinion on that?.......But his posture over all looks cool, and his leg stance reminds of such that can be found in some southern styles of GongFu and also Karate
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 pm

i I notice how he grip the sword and his out pointing elbows, well he's a Samurai so obvious he got it right,,but you guys who are long timers in traditional JMA's what's your opinion on that?.......

He's got an armor on. He would have no space for his arms for cutting down if he didn't have his elbows out.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 am

Yes I too where thinking that's because the armor. How about the sword grip? It almost seem that he's wrists "pointing out" or he slightly curl in his hands? In the Aikido bokken(wood sword) I practiced we where instructed to grip the sword in a "Yonkyu" kind of way, gives more stability when cutting it was said....don't know how to describe the Aikido Yonkyu tecniq verbal but those here that practice traditionally JMA might understand what I mean.....of course his grip probably also depends on his forearm/hand armor............By the way, he's doing a Tom Cruise thing by not wearing a helmet :)
Trick

Postby middleway on Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am

Awesome group of images.

I expect this posture was exagerated for the photographer in the instance above

But i would suspect this is also to do with armor and lack of helmet, the grip is unusual as you say. But i am sure there is utility to it if the chap is a commander.

In the Itto Ryu i studied we would attack the wrist/forearm of such postures.

"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am

The stance is also strange. Good for stability, bad for mobility--so a nono in sword work. But, what if he was about to, or had already initiated, a sudden 180 degree turn? This would explain both the raised elbows and stance. Hmm...
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am

The stance is also strange. Good for stability, bad for mobility--so a nono in sword work. But, what if he was about to, or had already initiated, a sudden 180 degree turn? This would explain both the raised elbows and stance. Hmm...

With the camera technology of the time i highly doubt that he was in any motion. I would wager it is just a stylised stance for the camera and nothing more.

That rear foot position is very interesting though.
Last edited by middleway on Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am

middleway wrote:
In the Itto Ryu i studied we would attack the wrist/forearm of such postures.

Yes such an attack came to my mind when I saw the pic
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 am

middleway wrote:

With the camera technology of the time i highly doubt that he was in any motion. I would wager it is just a stylised stance for the camera and nothing more.

Yes his stance/ foot positions seem very unusual and impractical for fencing, could be as Ian think about that he's about to or have just made a turn...But as you hint about the cameras of that time slightest move would make a blur, look at the tip of the sword seem broader as if he had moved a little...
Trick

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am

middleway wrote:

With the camera technology of the time I highly doubt that he was in any motion. I would wager it is just a stylised stance for the camera and nothing more.

I can't say for sure whether there was intentional motion (although there was some, judging from the blur on the rear leg), but old photos often purposefully posed in ways to simulate realistic action:

http://www.businessinsider.com/1800s-ba ... ay-1888-11

I agree that it's plausible that the elbows are flared for theatrics--there are many ukiyo-e that depict this same "elbows out" kamae.

But, That doesn't really explain the footwork.

Furthermore, action photography did exist in the late 1800's. Just look at some of the work from the most prominent photographers of the time (say, Eadweard Muybridge). h

I just don't see that photo as reflective of particular aesthetic intent by the subject.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 17, 2018 10:14 am

Can't tell me this guy ain't moving. Toes forward, elbows in, forward intent here:

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/06/pictur ... irca-1860/
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am

I'd say, same guy, same shoot?
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic