Kerambit

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Kerambit

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 am

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Kerambit

Postby Bill on Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I thought they were talking about him
Most of the stuff I have seen from him is good
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby thepoeticedda on Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am

Lol, it's a little odd to complain about the kerambit when the martial art I do has the ever so ridiculous deer horn knives. But yeah, I don't have anything against kerambits, but I agree with the main points that it's complicated, takes extra time/skill to learn, and anything "tacticool" is gonna count against you in court if you ever unlucky enough to need to use it.
thepoeticedda
Santi

Postby C.J.W. on Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm

The kerambit, like the sickle (kama) found in Okinawan and Japanese arts, is originally a farming tool used for weeding and harvesting rice. IMO, they are both weapons that developed out of availability and convenience for self-defense -- as opposed to carefully engineered killing tools.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 am

I think there are a lot of misconceptions on the kerambit. One thing is that people love to look cool with them and spin them around or do all kinds of nifty stuff with it.
But i guess same goes for longer edge weapons, you see the weirdest stuff performed, even throwing them in the air and catching them.
Apart from that you see a lot of longer blades on the kerambit with the blade being almost 15 cm long, which is not what a kerambit is meant for. It should be a small tiger claw, a couple of centimeters long, protruding from outside of the fist. Inconspicuous, and very direct in application. When you see all these fancy slicing and dicing it is for a very big part to look cool yeah. Sparring with a kerambit blade looks even more silly.
A kerambit is not meant for stabbing, it's meant for piercing and slicing open. And with that you can almost immediately implement it in your system, if your system is using the correct principles. It should be incorporated in the hits immediately. And therefore it should not be a completely new routine to learn. Since it's a very short weapon, your application should also be short. No use to stay at a distance with this one, then a longer blade is much more useful.

It has it's time and place and can be a formidable weapon, but just training it for the wrong reason or trying to do some semi-twirling with it is next to useless.

Some people say kali/escrima and silat are very similar, also if you look at the knive/kerambit. I think one big difference is that in Indonesian Silat you always start to learn the unarmed way (like in many kungfu styles) and then you learn the weapons, not the other way around which is quite common nowadays in FMA. First you need decent control of yourself and the other and have the required motor skills to move on to weapons. My teacher always says, when you want to train with a knife your mind has to be as sharp as a knife. No use learning all these twirling, curving and other fancy stuff when you are dealing with a weapon to kill. One mistake and you are dead.
Last edited by Tiga Pukul on Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby RobP3 on Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 am

From the article

"I know Systema people who like it so much, they start believing in and supporting Communism." ;D ;D :D :D ::)

I must be doing something wrong, I've yet to meet a communist Systema teacher
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 am

Didn't Sambo develop as an hand to hand combat method for the Red Army? Can we be sure Systema didn't come along for the same reason?....Politics in the MA's getting a broader meaning
Trick

Postby RobP3 on Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 am

Trick wrote:Didn't Sambo develop as an hand to hand combat method for the Red Army? Can we be sure Systema didn't come along for the same reason?....Politics in the MA's getting a broader meaning

Of course it was for the same reason - aren't all martial arts at their roots? To train the military of the day? Does that make Kung Fu communist?
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am

RobP3 wrote:
Trick wrote:Didn't Sambo develop as an hand to hand combat method for the Red Army? Can we be sure Systema didn't come along for the same reason?....Politics in the MA's getting a broader meaning

Of course it was for the same reason - aren't all martial arts at their roots? To train the military of the day? Does that make Kung Fu communist?

Sorry, I should have added a smiley to that post, it was meant to be on the lighter side 8-) Communist GongFu! Well the hammer and sickle symbol - gaining GongFu through hard work and eating bitter, could it be more GongFu than that? 8-) ...Seemingly off topic but I threw in that sickle, so back to Kerambit
Trick

Postby RobP3 on Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 am

Trick wrote:..Seemingly off topic but I threw in that sickle, so back to Kerambit

Well played sir! ;D ;D
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan