Taiji vs BJJ competition

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taiji vs BJJ competition

Postby Appledog on Mon May 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon May 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Appledog wrote:I think overall we are making progress.

The headless community is being led in a particular direction.

I am hoping that direction is towards realizing a BJJ competition is not the correct venue for demonstrating taiji skills. We need to defragment the community and restore proper push hands as a test of skill. I'm not sure about "competitions", but push hands is obviously a way for two people to compare skills as well as learn from each other. That's another thing that needs to change. With the advent of a unifying sports body and a proper common set of rules the adversity can fade away somewhat and we can come together in learning and friendship.

I totally disagree, We are not making progress or heading in the right direction.
Push hand competitions will not fill in the void either.

Taiji is about POWER generation. It's about creating the "most POWER=Grand ultimate" that can be generated by the human body and killing your opponent with it.
Taiji has nearly nothing to do with the popular model...
Last edited by willie on Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby C.J.W. on Mon May 28, 2018 7:38 pm

everything wrote:It keeps feeling like it's November 1993.

Someone send these guys the UFC 1 VHS.

Hear hear.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon May 28, 2018 7:51 pm

willie wrote:I totally disagree, We are not making progress or heading in the right direction.
Push hand competitions will not fill in the void either.

Very true. I've always contended that Taiji PH was designed to be a form of cooperative training and never meant for competition. It's a transition between form training and free-fighting (sanshou).

I feel that in order for Taiji to redeem its reputation as a "martial" art, what China needs now more than ever is a group of dedicated Taiji practitioners who are willing to train full-time and focus on how to apply Taiji in various free-fighting competition formats -- and WIN.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon May 28, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon May 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Appledog wrote:I think overall we are making progress.

The headless community is being led in a particular direction.

I am hoping that direction is towards realizing a BJJ competition is not the correct venue for demonstrating taiji skills. We need to defragment the community and restore proper push hands as a test of skill. I'm not sure about "competitions", but push hands is obviously a way for two people to compare skills as well as learn from each other. That's another thing that needs to change. With the advent of a unifying sports body and a proper common set of rules the adversity can fade away somewhat and we can come together in learning and friendship.

My view is that if Taiji is to be regarded as a martial art, it should be able to equip a practitioner with the skills needed to compete with those who practice other styles of MAs, including BJJ.
I've met a couple of Taiji guys who are able to apply Taiji principles and energies quite effectively in ground fighting and grappling. (They both have backgrounds in wrestling and BJJ, but have modified their ground techniques a' la Taiji.) 
Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 28, 2018 10:20 pm

You heathens!

How quick you forget that grandmaster Mo Ling already solved the BJJ puzzle with Taiji on the ground.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 am

Appledog wrote:proper push hands as a test of skill

...skill in what? Push-hands? Sure, but PH is just one of the exercises from the TJQ curriculum; competing/testing in being proficient in it is no different from comparing skills of doing form (another type of exercise from TQJ curriculum). If TQJ claims to be a martial art, it's supposed to be able to equip its practitioners to be proficient in martial arts, not just the training drills, no?
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue May 29, 2018 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Tue May 29, 2018 10:25 am

everything wrote:It keeps feeling like it's November 1993.

Someone send these guys the UFC 1 VHS.

It's unfortunate that some people will never learn.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby willie on Tue May 29, 2018 12:05 pm

first off the whole thread is b.s. because there is no such thing as taiji on the ground.
So taichi vs BJJ never could happen in the first place.

Sure, A person who practices taichi can be brought to the ground and submitted, but the moment
that the taiji guys feet left the ground there is no taichi. Taichi is not the person, it has requirements. So the argument is stupid. Taiji is not designed for ground fighting.

Mo ling did not solve anything where bjj is concerned. All of that has been figured out a long time ago.
willie

Postby Steve James on Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Imo, it all depends on the goal of one's training and one's expectations from it. If the goal or expectation --of any martial artist-- is to be able to defeat any opponent, under any conditions, any time, then one will be sorely disappointed. Secondly, martial arts developed as solutions to particular problems: i.e., just like the art of war, being attacked required the development of defense.

If the problem is being on the ground, then the martial artist needs to develop a solution for that situation if it's likely to occur. If tcc people want to go up against grappler/wrestlers, then the tcc people need to adapt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a tcc person studying grappling/groundwork. In my opinion, the fallacy is in expectation of success without appropriate preparation.

However, this is all and only in relation to competition. There's no reason to suggest that tcc alone is sufficient to defeat any attack or attacker. People can do it; but they can't prove it.

The other problem in the discussion is simply the definition of "tai chi chuan." If it cannot exist on the ground, then a person who can be successful on the ground can't be doing tcc. People would say the same thing when practitioners of "tcc" would put on gloves and shin pads. I.e., they said it wasn't tcc.

And there's an irony, too. If, say, a bjj black belt were to take up tcc and then won mma competitions, it would be like a judo black belt winning a push hands competition. People would say that it wasn't tcc.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Steve James wrote:Imo, it all depends on the goal of one's training and one's expectations from it. If the goal or expectation --of any martial artist-- is to be able to defeat any opponent, under any conditions, any time, then one will be sorely disappointed. Secondly, martial arts developed as solutions to particular problems: i.e., just like the art of war, being attacked required the development of defense.

If the problem is being on the ground, then the martial artist needs to develop a solution for that situation if it's likely to occur. If tcc people want to go up against grappler/wrestlers, then the tcc people need to adapt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a tcc person studying grappling/groundwork. In my opinion, the fallacy is in expectation of success without appropriate preparation.

However, this is all and only in relation to competition. There's no reason to suggest that tcc alone is sufficient to defeat any attack or attacker. People can do it; but they can't prove it.

The other problem in the discussion is simply the definition of "tai chi chuan." If it cannot exist on the ground, then a person who can be successful on the ground can't be doing tcc. People would say the same thing when practitioners of "tcc" would put on gloves and shin pads. I.e., they said it wasn't tcc.

And there's an irony, too. If, say, a bjj black belt were to take up tcc and then won mma competitions, it would be like a judo black belt winning a push hands competition. People would say that it wasn't tcc.

A very well thought-out and written post.
In order for something to be taichi it has to have a gathering phase. That phase is a internal winding of the dantian. This winding flexes the bows and stores the energy necessary for acquiring internal power. Without that there is no Tai Chi. A person can use their General knowledge of martial arts in all situations, but is not good enough to fill the requirements of Tai Chi in itself.
Last edited by willie on Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby windwalker on Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 pm

I think it helps to remember that the term "taiji" was applied to what was being demoed or shown as representative of the concept, not something that started out based on it. As to what is correct or not depends on what ever family style that one happens to follow they all tend to say the same things expressing it in different ways.

Being a concept based art commonly expressed through family styles,
what is considered to be taiji will tend to reflect the marketing that made it so.
Not many new styles of taiji developed and recognized as such,, one might ask why?

The idea that some expressed about how CMA deals with different ranges seems strange...All CMA has to have answers for different engagement ranges.
A better way of looking at might be to understand the ranges they speclize in, which will tend to answer why they do.

As to competition ph has developed into its own specialized acknowledge taiji format.
Which in many ways killed the development of the art. Historically the art was noted for taking on all challengers regardless of style.

By making the ph hands into a competition it killed the art just as in judo...and many other arts when this happens...MMA in this aspect is probably more like what they did back in the day, with exception that there was more variation and specialization.

but push hands is obviously a way for two people to compare skills as well as learn from each other.

lets see how that works out.

if it was boxing, people box with each other
if it was BJJ, people grapple and tap each other out
If it was Judo, people would throw each other

If its "taiji" people would push hands?

Boxers dont compete in rope jumping.
BJJ or Judo don't compete in break falls
Why does taiji compete in pushing hands.

Why would a chen stylist listen to a yang stylist,,,mmm maybe they might

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXnxCpjUNM
Last edited by windwalker on Tue May 29, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed May 30, 2018 12:40 am

As to competition ph has developed into its own specialized acknowledge taiji format.
Which in many ways killed the development of the art. Historically the art was noted for taking on all challengers regardless of style.

So true 8-)

Ph competitions practice is a limited form of combat practice. Most people who practice Tai chi and wants to compete practice mainly for PH comps. It's a pitty really because it limits their Tai chi to a very narrow skill set. It's not enough for anything else. It's just a way to learn how to beat others with the same limited rules set. Tai Chi people who wants to focus on developing their Tai Chi for combat use should rather seek out open style formats, sanda and similar. But then again there is still a question of focus. They still need to have tai chi and tai chi strategy in focus if they want to learn how to beat others with Tai Chi. If you turn it to kick-boxing, why not just go for MMA or Sanda practice? Preserving the integrity of a certain art might be hard, but still, this should IMO be the focus of any kind of combat practice. Otherwise, what's the point practicing a CMA? ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 am

If you can do it, go for it. Tcc is no better than its practitioners. It didn't exist outside of them. Either they can put up, or they should shut up.

My point was that, if the goal is self defense, success against "mma" is totally irrelevant. I admire the man who wants to make sure he's doing tcc traditionally when his life is on the line. I'm just not that guy.

Afa as sports, if you enter matches where people wrestle, knowing how to deal with them is just being practical and prepared.

But, for the record, using tcc as an example is boring. None of the other ima styles have done any better in these matches.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links