Zhang jun feng long video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Zhang jun feng long video

Postby jaime_g on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:47 pm

jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Zhang jun feng long video

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:28 am

Great to see
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:31 am

Just saw this this morning as well. Really great to see. I was quite impressed (obviously not surprised, but still impressed) to see how similar his movement quality is/was to Luo Dexiu's.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 am

Here's the YouTube version for those looking to watch it off of Facebook.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:16 pm

I see a great difference between Lou and Zhang
Lou much more the technician Zhang the fighter
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I just mean the general quality of the movement, like a heavy wave of soft tissue moving around the bones. I spent a fair bit of time with Luo and I don't often see anyone that reminds me of him. But yeah Zhang looks fucking baddass.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm

It’s just obvious that Hong Yixiang brought Zhang’s art to a whole new level.
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 pm

As a fellow Gao stylist from another lineage, I am afraid I have to be honest and say that I am not too impressed. The type of gross movements he demonstrates is what my teacher refers to as "big guy bagua" -- somewhat rough around the edges and more reliant upon superior size, weight, and strength for power as opposed to fine-tuned body methods. Zhang, his main teacher Wu Mengxia, and Hung were all big and heavy scrappers and the arts they teach and practice all carry this particular type of flavor.

But to be fair, this video was obviously shot during the later stages of Zhang's life when he was afflicted with diabetes as well as other ailments that would have affected his mobility and coordination. I would go out on a limb and say he most likely moved much better in his prime.

Luo Dexiu, however, is an entirely different animal. He has modified what he learned from Hung and others and added finer touches to his Bagua and Xingyi. I like what he does and he is one of the best and most technical Xingyi/Bagua guys I have ever met.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm

This was filmed when Master Zhang was severely overweight and in poor health - I am actually a bit sad to see this posted. He actually moved far better, with more accuracy and celerity than this. Here he is just running through the motions. A far better window on Master Zhang and his teachings would have been film of his wife (who was really the main instructor after Master Zhang became ill). She moved with great strength, suppleness, and precision - it was like watching a large snake move. By the time I began studying with Master Zhang and his wife he had lost a lot of weight and his diabetes was mostly controlled (as well as it could be for that time - the drugs we take for granted now did not exist back then). Yes, he was a big man, and yes, he did use his size to his advantage - but he could teach smaller persons (like myself, his wife, and most of my classmates) how to move with great delicacy and refinement. Hong Yimian was also a better example of the product of Master Zhang's teaching.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm

kenneth fish wrote:This was filmed when Master Zhang was severely overweight and in poor health - I am actually a bit sad to see this posted. He actually moved far better, with more accuracy and celerity than this. Here he is just running through the motions. A far better window on Master Zhang and his teachings would have been film of his wife (who was really the main instructor after Master Zhang became ill). She moved with great strength, suppleness, and precision - it was like watching a large snake move. By the time I began studying with Master Zhang and his wife he had lost a lot of weight and his diabetes was mostly controlled (as well as it could be for that time - the drugs we take for granted now did not exist back then). Yes, he was a big man, and yes, he did use his size to his advantage - but he could teach smaller persons (like myself, his wife, and most of my classmates) how to move with great delicacy and refinement. Hong Yimian was also a better example of the product of Master Zhang's teaching.

Is there a film of Mrs. Zhang?
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Thank you Kenneth for sharing and putting things into the right perspective. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 am

Why is it that there always seems to be videos of Masters movements but never what they did or how they used them.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:15 am

Franklin wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:This was filmed when Master Zhang was severely overweight and in poor health - I am actually a bit sad to see this posted. He actually moved far better, with more accuracy and celerity than this. Here he is just running through the motions. A far better window on Master Zhang and his teachings would have been film of his wife (who was really the main instructor after Master Zhang became ill). She moved with great strength, suppleness, and precision - it was like watching a large snake move. By the time I began studying with Master Zhang and his wife he had lost a lot of weight and his diabetes was mostly controlled (as well as it could be for that time - the drugs we take for granted now did not exist back then). Yes, he was a big man, and yes, he did use his size to his advantage - but he could teach smaller persons (like myself, his wife, and most of my classmates) how to move with great delicacy and refinement. Hong Yimian was also a better example of the product of Master Zhang's teaching.

Abi Moriya
Published on Mar 29, 2010

Zhang Zhunfeng (1902-1974), my teacher's teacher, demonstrating An Shen Pao (stable body pounding) form with his wife Xu Baomei 徐抱妹, Taiwan, 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHFsb4hmVg
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 am

windwalker wrote:Why is it that there always seems to be videos of Masters movements but never what they did or how they used them.

Because back in the past-masters days they probably only really fought if in a "self defense" situation(maybe a tradition going nowadays too), and the lack of mobile-phones with cam back then made it quite impossible to get it on film. 8-)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Franklin wrote:

Abi Moriya
Published on Mar 29, 2010

Zhang Zhunfeng (1902-1974), my teacher's teacher, demonstrating An Shen Pao (stable body pounding) form with his wife Xu Baomei 徐抱妹, Taiwan, 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHFsb4hmVg

It’s so obvious that Hong’s skill surpass that of Zhang.
Toward Hong’s end of life, his skill reach another level.
BTW Zhang did not learn from Wu Mengxia.
Overlord

Next

Return to Video Links