One Part Moves, All Parts Move

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: One Part Moves, All Parts Move

Postby Quigga on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:47 pm

That's all cool. But what do you do when you've been in the place of no mind too long. It's a blissful state that can't be sustained indefinitely. No mind is pure bliss. But I reincarnated into the state of duality. Move forward without abandoning the middle. Fuck some pussy you like the taste of, I guess. Even infinity is just a temporary state...
Quigga

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Quigga wrote:That's all cool. But what do you do when you've been in the place of no mind too long. It's a blissful state that can't be sustained indefinitely. No mind is pure bliss. But I reincarnated into the state of duality. Move forward without abandoning the middle. Fuck some pussy you like the taste of, I guess. Even infinity is just a temporary state...

It is hard to be "mindless" in the martial sense. But "no mind" can mean many things. Some people emphasize the importance of breathing but when you reach for the salt shaker, do you breathe in or out? You don't think about it. Breathing should be natural like everything else. I used to do zhan zhuang for an hour, trying to be mindless. Now I do it for a few minutes at a time with a high level of concentration, paying close attention to what I feel. There can never be no mind but there can be a situation, martial or otherwise, where one does something well without having known how one did it. That is the state I try to achieve. Let the body respond naturally and don't let the mind get in the way.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Hmmm, I was taught that Pebble-Pond is about Sinking The Qi.

Pebble = Small Center
Pond = Qi Hai Elixir Field

Pond must be filled to overflowing for pebble drop to have any meaning. (FaJin). Otherwise only one part moves.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Kelley Graham wrote:Hmmm, I was taught that Pebble-Pond is about Sinking The Qi.

Pebble = Small Center

Pond must be filled to overflowing for pebble drop to have any meaning. (FaJin). Otherwise only one part moves.

That's the Alka Seltzer method.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:36 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
Kelley Graham wrote:Hmmm, I was taught that Pebble-Pond is about Sinking The Qi.

Pebble = Small Center

Plop! Plop! Fizz. Fizz. Oh, what a relief it is. ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:

Pebble = Small Center

Plop! Plop! Fizz. Fizz. Oh, what a relief it is. ;D

Plop! Plop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4LMCCQXCM

Fizz! Fizz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuvkvXUZF84
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 am

Taste of Death wrote:

Pebble = Small Center

Ha, but fizzy fajin is different. Requires legs to be filled. Mixed Martial Metaphor here.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:33 pm

Address some of the points, illustrating differences
between what they call modern fighters and traditional Chinese methods

Covers a wide range of concepts, presenting a detailed analysis according to their theories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwks7rlYgKo
windwalker
Wuji

Postby rojcewiczj on Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:19 pm

I think its important to keep in mind the purpose of "one part moves, all parts move", that same purpose that all internal principles work for. For me, that purpose is to create a "unified impact", meaning
that the entire body acts as a unit on impact so that the opponent can be unbalanced without further exertion. Modern martial arts work under the premise that the whole-body works to accelerate the limbs to create impact, but it is only the limb actually impacting. Internal martial arts work on harmonizing, unifying the body, so that the impact is actually the entire mass as a unit impacting through the contacting limb or point.

the importance of one part moves, all parts move is that you need to have a method of organizing your body in motion so that you can make the necessary adaptations before impact.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:26 pm

rojcewiczj wrote:I think its important to keep in mind the purpose of "one part moves, all parts move", that same purpose that all internal principles work for. For me, that purpose is to create a "unified impact", meaning
that the entire body acts as a unit on impact so that the opponent can be unbalanced without further exertion. Modern martial arts work under the premise that the whole-body works to accelerate the limbs to create impact, but it is only the limb actually impacting. Internal martial arts work on harmonizing, unifying the body, so that the impact is actually the entire mass as a unit impacting through the contacting limb or point.

the importance of one part moves, all parts move is that you need to have a method of organizing your body in motion so that you can make the necessary adaptations before impact.

I agree.
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:04 am

rojcewiczj wrote:I think its important to keep in mind the purpose of "one part moves, all parts move", that same purpose that all internal principles work for. For me, that purpose is to create a "unified impact", meaning that the entire body acts as a unit on impact so that the opponent can be unbalanced without further exertion. Modern martial arts work under the premise that the whole-body works to accelerate the limbs to create impact, but it is only the limb actually impacting. Internal martial arts work on harmonizing, unifying the body, so that the impact is actually the entire mass as a unit impacting through the contacting limb or point.

"The hand is not a hand. The whole body is a hand."

That's something I'm making some progress with at the moment, in the sense of projecting or striking with the hand/fingers in connection and synchronicity with the whole body. At the precise moment the body starts to sink/fall into the feet (that doesn't mean going lower to any significant extent), the hand/fingers move through the target. Or at the precise moment the hand/fingers move through the target, the body starts to sink/fall into the feet. The order of the words doesn't matter, it's the same. Any action, or sense of, throwing your body against the target disappears. It's not pushing in the normal sense of the word. Inner and often also outer resistence reduces or can hardly be felt. It feels 'softer' to me; depending on the way I dose the contact and my mindset, it can also feel 'soft' to the recipient (but very hard to avoid) or then again very hard and heavy.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan