The Art of Neutralisation in Taijiquan: Bing 掤

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

The Art of Neutralisation in Taijiquan: Bing 掤

Postby Yeung on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 am

The hand techniques of Taijiquan are basically rotational stretches of the arms and torso to produce eccentric strength and recoil. The striking and blocking techniques are relatively complicated if practitioners are able to include torso movement and steps to enhance these movements. I think we should start with Bing 掤 (arrow quiver) or commonly known and pronounced as Peng, the first technique of the 13 potentials.

Bing often refers to the tension or strength developed in our body, in my view it is just eccentric strength developed from rotational stretching of our body to develop the recoils in every strike. The reason for rotation is to shorten the length of the arm as we stretch to increase muscle tension to produce the recoiling effects. This sort of put an end to the dilemma of training for speed or strength in martial arts. Most of the strikes in Taijiquan are keeping the elbow downward such as a reverse palm heel strike or a reverse vertical punch. It works with beginners to generate eccentric strength and recoil when tension is released. How to utilise the recoil is unique in martial arts that does not use brute force. So a powerful eccentric strike can carry on with a grab, a pull, a fast retraction, or a block, etc.

Bing as a technique would include all the lateral movements of the arms (away from the centre) and stretching out to maximise tension when. Rotational stretch can be found in other martial arts such as Xingyi and Bagua and Wing Chun, and I am sure members of this forum can point out many techniques from their martial arts. Together with the generated stored elastic energy will enhance the following technique which can lead to a series of repetitive cycles such as strike block cycles and sticking techniques in fighting. This is sort of my theory of strength upon strength, eccentric strength plus stored energy but differs to plyometrics for not using brute force and does not need to relax from full concentric contraction before carrying on with another technique due to double weightedness (eccentric strength plus concentric strength equatiffness). Any rotational stretching techniques will provide powerful strike and quick retraction. There is nothing to prove, just try it and it works. Most techniques involving stretching the torso will require some learning that is all such as shoulder muscle, torso, and buttlock, etc., to gain additional strength. Coordination would be a topic on its own using the kinetic chain analysis.

There is a saying in martial arts that the invincible develop springiness all over his body. Maybe springiness is what is missing in most practitioners of Taijiquan.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: The Art of Neutralisation in Taijiquan: Bing 掤

Postby everything on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:59 am

We can think of a golf swing or tennis serve this way. I wouldn’t call it eccentric (putting the “negative” portion under load), but I would say it’s “store release” in a physical, mechanical way (and most on here would seem to think that’s all). If you do it right and well, things can feel “effortless” and like you are just “letting go”.

Two other “store release” any beginner can do:

- inhale and forcefully press abdomen out with tension. Exhale and move weight you are lifting. Instantly easier to do another two reps. We might call this a rudimentary “hard qigong”.

- “Fa Qi”…. Inhale and on exhale, relax and “allow” Qi to move. Harder to learn but some beginners can feel it.

I wouldn’t say tai chi is talking about mainly one of those, but it’s easy to think so and maybe 1and 3 are involved or combined smoothly ….But I can’t do “fa jin”…. So YMMV. If it were only 1, all golf masters are good at some aspect of IMA and my soccer kicks are “tai chi” level and that’s just not true IME
Last edited by everything on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:26 pm

Yeung,

Since I am not very knowledgeable about biomechanics, could you explain in more detail how you are incorporating the concepts of “eccentric strength” and “stored muscle elasticity” into movements that are not typically trained as dynamically as running, jumping, etc.?

My layman’s understanding of plyometric movement is that there is an eccentric (lengthening) contraction followed by a concentric (shortening) contraction of the same muscles. This is like the slight downward compression into one’s legs (the eccentric phase) prior to jumping (the concentric phase). In jumping, the eccentric contraction stretches the connected tendons, and the resulting jump uses both the energy of the stretched tendon AND the concentric contraction of the muscles, therefore increasing the power output. Does your usage of the terminology differ from this?

From my understanding of Taijiquan, a held structure that is suddenly attacked responds like a properly inflated rubber ball, and “rebounds” to the original joint angles due to the “stretch reflex,” as long as one is not too slack (and when one is using this technique rather than diverting the force away using rotation = lujin). This rebounding force can be called pengjin. But you are talking about another mechanism. It is my (layman’s) understanding that the muscular-tendon system should be able to store more elastic energy and transfer it more quickly and powerfully from the eccentric to the concentric phase if you train them to do this. It seems like this is what you are trying to get at.

Since plyometrics is more commonly studied for dynamic and high impact things like running and jumping, it does not surprise me that you are looking at a somewhat different approach when applying the elastic principles to Taijiquan. For TJQ we want to talk about store and release of power differently than other activities where there is a preparatory (or wind-up) phase prior to the release of our power. Instead of pulling back (compressing) prior to extending (expanding), we want to be able to issue from wherever we are. So instead of talking about compressing and expanding, are you talking about the ability to stretch the tendons through rotational movements that can then be released during the issuing of force, i.e. chansijin where one stores with a rotation in one direction, and rotate in the other direction during the issuing of force?

I have never previously had what I consider to be a satisfactory explanation, using Western terminology, for what is happening during limb rotation during TJQ. I like this stored elastic muscle-tendon stretch explanation, especially for Chen style where the rotations are more pronounced than seen in most Yang styles…

I would appreciate any corrections or elaborations on this idea.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:18 am

I think you need to differentiate between an eccentric strike and a concentric strike.

Plyometrics is one example of the utilisation of store elastic energy, but it does not work without concentric muscle contraction. The general s-s cycle works with everyone in most activities for example squat down before jumping up or pull back before punching, etc. So the idea of strength upon strength works, recoil plus concentric strength.

The Taijiquan model can only work with two groups of muscles as one group of muscles can stretch and then shorten to utilise recoil but not stretch and stretch. All will be clear when we work with Bing and Luo together with Bing general recoil and Lou to utilise the recoil with eccentric strength.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 am

I don't think you can differentiate such a thing as 'eccentric strength'.

On either side of the limb (front/back) there is either the eccentric phase or concentric phase, that applies to the upper legs and upper arms.
You cannot have one without the other - do you disagree ?
If you generate force and are moving these limbs, then the strength or force will be unified.
IOW it won't be either 'eccentric' or 'concentric' strength.

Frankly those terms are just made up and non sensical at this point.. (I don't mind made up).
The way you are using those terms doesn't really fit the model of TCMA as much as you would like them to I think.

I think there's a lot of merit to the concepts you are sharing. You understand both worlds very well as far as I can tell.
But the mapping over (of terminology) is problematic at times.

Going by what you said the term you're looking for is maybe static or structural/ postural strength; the only difference in Taiji is that you allow the body to open (traction)) - or close (compression) - and turn / spiral/ rotate to achieve neutralisation. Store and release fits into this/ is a part like another layer: 'the bow'; the, bones, fascia, tendons, ligaments - this is all structural. The stretch of the bow is not in the muscle, but of the muscle, by the connective tissues and fascia.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:26 am, edited 9 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 am

for me, the springiness (itself) is neijin.

edit.

you're also kinda trying to shoe horn a physical/ anatomical model into an explanation of skill (neutralising force).
there is a body skill as well, a physical skill set.

It's a really fine line sometimes in TCMA in terms of what falls under motor control and what falls under physical strength and or conditioning.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:43 pm

if one wants to be obsessed with athleticism, it would be good to play a lot of sports instead. all of these things are in sports and then some.

I saved a quote from @docstier from a decade ago, and I don't know if he'll still agree with what he said then, but I like his quote a lot if we are interested in "IMA: and not "just" sports.

From a traditional IMA perspective, a well developed and efficient IP is certainly related to more than correct form or optimized oxygen saturation alone. It is also every bit as much about maximizing personal electromagnetic energy absorption, storage, compression, grounding and projection in conjunction with a rooted structural alignment, proper breath regulation, and focused mental intent.

When these variable factors are efficiently coordinated and synchronized with principle based physical postures and centered movement patterns, genuine skills will gradually develop and manifest through an activated energy body.

but if we think "athleticism" is what IMA is about ... welll, clearly some (most?????) people seem to think that. may as well give up and switch to MMA. nothing wrong with MMA.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:31 pm

everything wrote:if one wants to be obsessed with athleticism, it would be good to play a lot of sports instead. all of these things are in sports and then some.

I saved a quote from @docstier from a decade ago, and I don't know if he'll still agree with what he said then, but I like his quote a lot if we are interested in "IMA: and not "just" sports.

From a traditional IMA perspective, a well developed and efficient IP is certainly related to more than correct form or optimized oxygen saturation alone. It is also every bit as much about maximizing personal electromagnetic energy absorption, storage, compression, grounding and projection in conjunction with a rooted structural alignment, proper breath regulation, and focused mental intent.

When these variable factors are efficiently coordinated and synchronized with principle based physical postures and centered movement patterns, genuine skills will gradually develop and manifest through an activated energy body.

but if we think "athleticism" is what IMA is about ... welll, clearly some (most?????) people seem to think that. may as well give up and switch to MMA. nothing wrong with MMA.

Thanks for the shout out! I definitely still stand by that opinion. It has been the foundation of my training perspective for the past 61 years to date. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 am

absolutely, IMA is about the union of mind, body and spirit; in the field of martial arts.
a degree of athleticism is good and always has been, but it's but one (important) aspect of developing the body, but with the larger caveat this is integrated in a balanced way with everything else.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:32 am

LaoDan wrote:Yeung,

Since I am not very knowledgeable about biomechanics, could you explain in more detail how you are incorporating the concepts of “eccentric strength” and “stored muscle elasticity” into movements that are not typically trained as dynamically as running, jumping, etc.?

My layman’s understanding of plyometric movement is that there is an eccentric (lengthening) contraction followed by a concentric (shortening) contraction of the same muscles. This is like the slight downward compression into one’s legs (the eccentric phase) prior to jumping (the concentric phase). In jumping, the eccentric contraction stretches the connected tendons, and the resulting jump uses both the energy of the stretched tendon AND the concentric contraction of the muscles, therefore increasing the power output. Does your usage of the terminology differ from this?

From my understanding of Taijiquan, a held structure that is suddenly attacked responds like a properly inflated rubber ball, and “rebounds” to the original joint angles due to the “stretch reflex,” as long as one is not too slack (and when one is using this technique rather than diverting the force away using rotation = lujin). This rebounding force can be called pengjin. But you are talking about another mechanism. It is my (layman’s) understanding that the muscular-tendon system should be able to store more elastic energy and transfer it more quickly and powerfully from the eccentric to the concentric phase if you train them to do this. It seems like this is what you are trying to get at.

Since plyometrics is more commonly studied for dynamic and high impact things like running and jumping, it does not surprise me that you are looking at a somewhat different approach when applying the elastic principles to Taijiquan. For TJQ we want to talk about store and release of power differently than other activities where there is a preparatory (or wind-up) phase prior to the release of our power. Instead of pulling back (compressing) prior to extending (expanding), we want to be able to issue from wherever we are. So instead of talking about compressing and expanding, are you talking about the ability to stretch the tendons through rotational movements that can then be released during the issuing of force, i.e. chansijin where one stores with a rotation in one direction, and rotate in the other direction during the issuing of force?

I have never previously had what I consider to be a satisfactory explanation, using Western terminology, for what is happening during limb rotation during TJQ. I like this stored elastic muscle-tendon stretch explanation, especially for Chen style where the rotations are more pronounced than seen in most Yang styles…

I would appreciate any corrections or elaborations on this idea.

In my opinion look no further than the model or framework developed by Sam Chin in recent times; coming from the perspective of what we engage in. We are a niche within a niche, so the model won't come from Western physiology. But needs integrating with it - for some of us to fulfil a certain requirement. Which i think, like you it seems, is quite necessary.

Whoever came up with that model had a good understanding of how the body works, and there's no contradictions- with the modern models. Which is the most vital aspect I think. Rather than the eccentric/ concentric concerns (the actions and processes they describe) and terminology, this is 'replaced' by yin and yang muscle groups - the choice and arrangement of which maps what is understood in the modern anatomical model - in terms of how they function and work together. As well as the concepts of absorb and project.

From that basis it reveals really nicely the yin yang balance tai chi strives to achieve in motion and martial skills, as well as offering a roadmap of how to go about it.

You need though the experience of that system and or others to understand how things fit together. The TCMA model - which ILC has an updated version of is an experiential one and for me - should be that way.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:31 am

The uniqueness of Taijiquan is that it is a mind directed strategy and springy exercise without using brute force. My understanding of brute force is concentric muscle contraction, and the alternative is eccentric muscle contraction and the utilisation of stored elastic energy. But the story gets complicated when there are also passive and active eccentric muscle actions or people like to call it the Yin Yang mechanics.

The result of a concentric striking is stiffness and requires a quick release in order to carry on with another movement while eccentric striking can automatically release the tension and perform other techniques like strike-grab-pull for example. There are Taijiquan practitioners who focus on the training of contraction and relaxation to speed up the process but still missing the net zero mark.

The most important lesson in Taijiquan by tradition is to get rid of stiff strength or avoid double weightedness that is stretching out the arm and shortening it at the sametime like lifting a weight.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:26 am

I don't really agree with your understanding of 'brute force'. By your focusing on that specific and strict definition leads us to deviate from being in full agreement further along.

Define concentric striking vs. eccentric striking, because I doubt trained strikers (say combat sports for arguments sake) do it the way you define. But hey, we can analyse it?
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:22 pm

I think you have to try both striking methods and workout the differences. From observation it is difficult, as electromyographs do not tell the differences. My suggestion is to see whether there are the recoil effects and carry on with another technique like a grab and pull after a high intensity strike.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:56 am

cloudz wrote:In my opinion look no further than the model or framework developed by Sam Chin in recent times; coming from the perspective of what we engage in. We are a niche within a niche, so the model won't come from Western physiology. But needs integrating with it - for some of us to fulfil a certain requirement. Which i think, like you it seems, is quite necessary.

Whoever came up with that model had a good understanding of how the body works, and there's no contradictions- with the modern models. …
[snip]
You need though the experience of that system and or others to understand how things fit together. The TCMA model - which ILC has an updated version of is an experiential one and for me - should be that way.

Yes, Sam Chin’s ILC is straightforward experiential system that does not require guesswork or mystification to explain the concepts. I think that, even though he is not a specialist in Western scientific fields, he has been brilliant in teasing out the components of his system in such an understandable way.

I live in a different culture than where TJQ was developed, and I therefore think that it is important to understand the art from a Western compatible perspective. Our time is also different, and we have access to much more information than in prior times. I don’t mind using concepts like Yin/Yang, etc., but I am opposed to using concepts that appear incompatible with modern scientific understanding, and am even more opposed to language (especially vague or poorly defined terminology) that mystifies the art.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:24 am

Eccentric contraction refers to any movement that lengthens a muscle at the same time it is being contracted. 1 It is a braking force that directly opposes the shortening of a muscle (known as a concentric contraction).

very hard to understand how that would be done on a striking context. there isn't a force applied while a muscle is lengthening. I suppose if you push out with your chest and triceps, your back and biceps "oppose" and "brake". not really sure that fits this definition. even if it did, it's very hard to see how that has anything to do with IMA or MA in general.

perhaps in grappling it has to happen a lot more, but it's still hard to see how that would be a "technique". in judo or bjj, if someone applies an arm bar to my arm using 2 to 4 limbs against 1 limb, my biceps is under eccentric contraction. unless I'm many times as strong as this person doing the arm bar, I can't "resist" by using "eccentric contraction" for very long. it isn't a "technique" or some kind of "internal strength".

???
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan