Not "not training"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Not "not training"

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:12 am

!(!training)

So I drove across country over the weekend, and at a random rest stop I saw this buff dude working out in the parking lot.

Now by working out, you're probably thinking calisthenics, maybe some free weights, but naw fam, that ain't it.

Strapped to the roof of his car was a racing shell of some sort, and he had a whole ass rowing machine set up in the parking spot next to it, just going to town.

I mean, I get it, those drives are hell on your body, cramps, weird joint stress causing aches, sore butt, it sucks.

It just seems a bit extreme to lug around such specific fitness equipment just to stay limber but I am not an elite performance athlete with a particular and demanding daily workout routine which will cost me precious seconds in a race that could cost me dollars in my pocket.

So what do you think the deal is?

1) Mental OCD, we work out at this time every day no matter what
2) Physical Discipline, needing to stay on a training schedule to get the gains they need to perform at the level they want
3) Physical Addiction, the body gets so accustomed to the stresses and hormones that it causes cramps and pains to NOT engage in the regularly scheduled activity
4) Something else.... rowing away the terror of existing under late stage capitalism in America, perhaps
5) All of this... and more!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Not "not training"

Postby greytowhite on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:37 am

That made me laugh. I can totally imagine my friend who was a former pro mountain bike racer doing exactly this.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 am

to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's a competitive rower so has to do really sport-specific workouts even when traveling cross-country. can't let Oxford beat Harvard, ever.

to totally disparage him, he's a maniac and just lives that weird fantasy in his head b/c the one pretty girl he talked to once thought he was a rower (the way "Olivia Jade" is a "rower") in his J.Crew t-shirt with an oar on it, and he should just lug a KB around and so some tai chi. ;D
Last edited by everything on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:12 am

Every part of our lives can be a part of our training regimen when we connect our thoughts and our actions to the core concepts and foundation principles of our respective martial arts. I strive to do so daily. ymmv.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:28 am

Doc Stier wrote:Every part of our lives can be a part of our training regimen when we connect our thoughts and our actions to the core concepts and foundation principles of our respective martial arts. I strive to do so daily. ymmv.

I'm into power drinking, myself.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:10 am

Doc Stier wrote:Every part of our lives can be a part of our training regimen when we connect our thoughts and our actions to the core concepts and foundation principles of our respective martial arts. I strive to do so daily. ymmv.

After a while you can't not move with them, though, eh? I mean sure when maybe you... I?... when I get spun up or twisted about something or another my mind can deviate and the body follows. For the most part, though zhong ding isn't something it's just a default?

I suppose there is some maintenance required, checking in, being aware. That feedback loop that informs progress.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:46 am

origami_itto wrote:After a while you can't not move with them, though, eh? I mean sure when maybe you... I?... when I get spun up or twisted about something or another my mind can deviate and the body follows. For the most part, though zhong ding isn't something it's just a default?
I suppose there is some maintenance required, checking in, being aware. That feedback loop that informs progress.

At my age, yes, I realize that I cannot keep up with the "higher" degree of cardiovascular 'work' I used to do when compared to someone in ther 30s but it does't prevent me from training "at my level" but I also realize
that there is a group of 30-40 years old folks who are far below my threshold so I am still alert while doing the daily workouts that keep me (so far) alive and kicking.
Came across an Army report that the young men of today are far less fit today and this prevents many from even considering the military as a vuable option for them so that says alot.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan