Teacher Profile

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Teacher Profile

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:17 pm

I forgot to mention earlier that I have two versions of fundamentals
Soft cover red and black and hard cover yellow
The reason I bought the soft cover was because it had different photos
I also have a book in Chinese with Kwong doing hundreds of applications
They are done like a lock and counter type manner almost like a San Shou
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:21 pm

Hmm, is it really that easy to say the YCF lineage doesn't have it? Do the YSC lineage do it? (Honestly asking). If Jianhou knew it, but he didn't teach his sons? In the illustrations of the two-person form, the practitioners look like YCF.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:22 pm

To my knowlwdge T.T. Liang learned it from Xiong Yanghe in Taiwan, who was a 3rd generation Yang stylist, and it is mentioned within the school, that he got corrected the Sanshou set under Yang Jianhou for a whole summer. AFAIK, it isn't in Yang Chengfu tradition, not in the Fu lineage either.

If I recall correctly, I have an old VHS tape called Wind sweeps the Plum Blossoms and Xiong Yanghe has a good tapered 10 or 12 pole training various drills looking somewhat similiar to the baji da qiang exercises - 1st time I realized such training was in the system of Yang taijiquan training

Also had 2 person staff drills and exercises
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:31 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I forgot to mention earlier that I have two versions of fundamentals
Soft cover red and black and hard cover yellow
The reason I bought the soft cover was because it had different photos
I also have a book in Chinese with Kwong doing hundreds of applications
They are done like a lock and counter type manner almost like a San Shou

I'm jealous. It was one of the first books I bought. (Delza's was actually the first).

Kwong was quite a guy. He didn't charge for lessons. You just gave a donation to the temple. Afterwards, you might get invited to his house to practice. Anyway, his form had slight differences in details. But, they were always connected logically to applications. This was in the 70s, and so he was fairly advanced in age.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:00 pm

I was learning Wu and my teachers told me to get Sophia’s book
It was no help
Luck had it one of the guys in class gave me Tan Mon Hungs book
Best Wu style book I have seen to this day
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:45 pm

Delza's important from the history standpoint. Afa the Wu history, you can get the "Orange" book from the family. Or, there are Ma Yueliang's son's book. One of his students posts here from time to time. He's in Germany. Ma also published a book about the 13 phs variations. Dr. Zee Wen co-authored the book, and he used to teach in Tucson, AZ. Maybe Kelley knew him then, in the 90s.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:31 pm

I have had the orange book or as I call it the gold book for decades
My student Richard was Ma,s first non Chinese student in Holland on a floating restaurant
The books I like are Chen Tin Hungs books
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:50 am

The Wu family books an be confusing. Sometimes the color of the book cover doesn't match what it's called. :)

I've never owned any of CTH or Dan Docherty books. By the time Docherty was publishing, I'd stopped buying books. CTH's books weren't available in the bookstores in NYC's Chinatown. If they were, they were probably in Chinese with no pictures on the front. Otherwise, I'd have picked it up. I just went to ebay to see if there were any copies of any of CTH's books, and there weren't.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:20 pm

I have two or three of CTH ,s books they have English but not a lot
I have never owned any of DD,s books
The one I really like in Chinese is CTH,s uncle CWK ,s book
His form is beautiful
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:22 am

Bob wrote:
If I recall correctly, I have an old VHS tape called Wind sweeps the Plum Blossoms and Xiong Yanghe has a good tapered 10 or 12 pole training various drills looking somewhat similiar to the baji da qiang exercises - 1st time I realized such training was in the system of Yang taijiquan training

Also had 2 person staff drills and exercises

Yes, that is correct.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby richardg6 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:18 am

I wish you guys would spend more effort listening to Wayne instead of challenging his comments. There is a vast difference between those who are around 80 and you youngsters who did not have contact with the old masters. Keep in mind without lots of combat experience its just a game. I was a combat medic in the 60s and ended training Green berets in field first aide. Despite my martial skills and combat experience they were awesome angels of death and I could not come close .
richardg6
Santi

Postby snowpanda on Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

richardg6 wrote:There is a vast difference between those who are around 80 and you youngsters who did not have contact with the old masters. Keep in mind without lots of combat experience its just a game. I was a combat medic in the 60s and ended training Green berets in field first aide. Despite my martial skills and combat experience they were awesome angels of death and I could not come close .

If only we had right here in this forum a former special forces soldier who is "around 80" and was "in the field" with "lots of combat experience" circa the '60s... We would hound them with requests for Youtube videos to prove they have authority to speak.

Not that this exact thing hasn't happened here and on previous forums for decades... 8-) 8-) ::) :-X ;D
snowpanda
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

It's his manners, his clarity of thought, and his sense of self-importance that I challenge.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

I was just about to say the same about you
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Dammit! You kids better start getting along here. We don't have to feel undying love and admiration for one another in order to share ideas and opinions. Personal insults and ad hominen attacks are best reserved for PM communication. Just my opinion. :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan