Yang family

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang family

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:48 am

Steve James wrote:Hey John W, what do you think of this Yang form.

I have always believed that Taiji form supposed to look like this - young, health, strong.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 am

:) Sure. But. a lot of the ma world doesn't see tcc done that way, or is only used to seeing Chen style done with fast movements. Several Yang and Yang-derived styles have 'fast' forms (or forms that have both fast and slow movements). Well, some also have very very slow forms, and imo that can be just as difficult. They just don't look impressive. So, people ask whether it can be used. It's natural.

Actually, I don't think it's a disadvantage to be underestimated :).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am

@ Steve

does the video clip, accord with your practice and understanding of taiji
asked out of curiosity, your perspective , viewpoint .
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 am

Looks like he is making up a form combining tai chi ans Shaolin on the spot
Doesn't seem to follow a logical sequence
It is not only important how you do the form but also the order you do it in
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 am

origami_itto wrote:
I mean... I'm not a PhD candidate or anything, but I'm pretty sure the work published under his name qualifies as a primary source.

Oh, you mean MY source? Sorry mate, I said that he said not that he wrote it. I have no proofs and I am not here trying to convince anyone, only present someone's view. IMO something that makes sense.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am

Depends on what you mean. I don't practice a form like that, but there are parts that I'd do the same way. For ex., the elbow work. I didn't see the follow step in this example, but I use it. When it comes to the kicks, doesn't everyone do them that way at speed? The same is true for the punches.

Afa the deep stances and jumps, that's good exercise. If I had to use them to fight, I'd be screwed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am

johnwang wrote:

I have always believed that Taiji form supposed to look like this - young, health, strong.

Why so obsessed by how Tai Chi "looks"? Tai Chi is internal, it's the internal work that is important, not the surface.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:
I mean... I'm not a PhD candidate or anything, but I'm pretty sure the work published under his name qualifies as a primary source.

Oh, you mean MY source? Sorry mate, I said that he said not that he wrote it. I have no proofs and I am not here trying to convince anyone, only present someone's view. IMO something that makes sense.

I think we have a miscommunication.

I mean me, I presented the source, the book published under his name, commonly attributed to being ghost written by Cheng Man Ching. If there's proof otherwise other than some unnamed expert on an unidentified internet forum, would sincerely love to see it.

Same thing about the Cheng Man Ching not writing the treatises. That's new to me would love to learn more.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:56 pm

Bao wrote:Why so obsessed by how Tai Chi "looks"? Tai Chi is internal, it's the internal work that is important, not the surface.

If a Taiji form make you to feel:

- young, health, strong, that's good Taiji form.
- old, sick, weak, that's bad Taiji form.

You feel good when you see this.

Imageupload photos for free

You feel bad when you see this.

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:06 pm

It is not only important how you do the form but also the order you do it in

Well, most forms are based on what YCF is said to have standardized. Apparently, the reason was to spread the art, and specifically its health benefits. So, it can and has been argued that there's a connection between the sequence of movements and the cultivation of qi.

Otoh, as a martial art, no one move has to connect to another. That wouldn't be practical, especially since, in tcc, we're supposed to react to (or follow) the opponent.

The form shown in the video could be his own creation, but lots of styles have individual forms (fast, slow, both) that are only parts of the standard form or things that aren't in the standard form. For ex., the Dong fast form.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:33 pm

Wu (Jianquan) fast form:
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:47 pm

Steve James wrote:Depends on what you mean. I don't practice a form like that, but there are parts that I'd do the same way. For ex., the elbow work. I didn't see the follow step in this example, but I use it. When it comes to the kicks, doesn't everyone do them that way at speed? The same is true for the punches.

Afa the deep stances and jumps, that's good exercise. If I had to use them to fight, I'd be screwed.

no not everyone ;D

Thanks for the reply

Feel that everyone's practice is or should be inline with what ever they feel taiji is or is not...
Find the differences interesting...as to what is correct or not, whether I agree with it or not, look at what they say or feel about their work to see if it follows what is said.

On this site "Itto" has been one of the few mentioning some of the things my own research touches on, strangely enough ;D
does not seem to practice it in his videos I've seen. Expecting him through his explorations to find out the why, should be interesting :)

As to some of things regarding movement patterns, rational ect...

It is necessary to use movements with few changes, such as rising postures, to retain the fascia and move the qi.

When exerting force, the fascia is kept constant, and when encountering resistance,
it becomes more flexible and stretched, so that the opponent can be uprooted and released.

One of the reasons I had asked "Trip' about his post

"Yang Chengfu taught his disciples the pathways
his family uses to issue power (qi) from the foot, to leg, thru the body
into the arm, and out the palm."

Form follows function, function follows form
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby ParadoxTeapot on Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:06 pm

Bao wrote:
johnwang wrote:

Why so obsessed by how Tai Chi "looks"? Tai Chi is internal, it's the internal work that is important, not the surface.

I'd argue that's why a lot of Tai Chi doesn't martially work - because they don't care about structure.

But also, if the outside appearance was irrelevant, then that also means that teachers are unable to visually judge how well their students are doing. That would be hilarious. They're just staring at their students, clueless about how well they are doing.
ParadoxTeapot
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:27 pm

Well it can look correct but be wrong, but it can't really look incorrect and be right unless they've hit a level of development most folks won't.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:07 pm

Teapot you got that right wish I had said it
Steve both the forms you posted Tung And Wu fast forms follow the same sequences that all the major forms follow
What more they use the same power generation where the other one you posted does not
It’s all over the place
I learnt two forms that don’t follow that sequence the 48& 24
I stopped practicing both because there was just missing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan