Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Chen Taiji, why the hate?

Postby Bob on Sun May 05, 2024 4:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUxtqFVkKQ

Dec 21, 2017
Tiantan Park 2008, 陈试太极拳家穿功夫架

Chen-Stil Taijiquan / Taichi Netzwerk Deutschland

Last edited by Bob on Sun May 05, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby twocircles13 on Sun May 05, 2024 10:56 pm

Bob wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUxtqFVkKQ

Dec 21, 2017
Tiantan Park 2008, 陈试太极拳家穿功夫架

Chen-Stil Taijiquan / Taichi Netzwerk Deutschland

Another great example joint locks within push hands and also the form, Chen Yu is Chen Zhaokui’s son, and he has sought to emulate what his father taught.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twocircles13
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 06, 2024 2:02 am

They are not really pushing
He just puts his hand out and waits to receive the pain
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon May 06, 2024 9:52 am

Yes, more of an application demonstration. But nice to see him doing it with Nabil. :)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby ctjla on Mon May 06, 2024 8:29 pm

Think the hate is because they don't really teach anyone anything. For example, Zhang Zhijin only really taught his son. When long time students would enter the room, he would immediately shift topics. And Chen Zhenglei is a money printing machine that uses students trained in other arts around to take on challengers. Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

Spent a good bit of time in China and lived with several highly rated competitors from Anhui and Beijing while in college. It's all about the benjamins.

Everything I've seen or heard about from that line is a joke. Or at least anyone even mildly associated with the government. Never touched Chen Zhonghua so can't comment on him. Same for Chen Yu.

Props to Chen Bing for going hard in push hands privates.
ctjla
Santi

Postby Trick on Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 pm

ctjla wrote:Think the hate is because they don't really teach anyone anything. For example, Zhang Zhijin only really taught his son. When long time students would enter the room, he would immediately shift topics. And Chen Zhenglei is a money printing machine that uses students trained in other arts around to take on challengers. Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

Spent a good bit of time in China and lived with several highly rated competitors from Anhui and Beijing while in college. It's all about the benjamins.

Everything I've seen or heard about from that line is a joke. Or at least anyone even mildly associated with the government. Never touched Chen Zhonghua so can't comment on him. Same for Chen Yu.

Props to Chen Bing for going hard in push hands privates.

Interesting info, just the kind that will juice up the thread :)

Did you live in Anhui ? I live in Huainan and Taiji-wise it’s very much Chen-village style here in the town, I only interacted somewhat with one of those teachers into Chen-Taiji and was not impressed, but mostly it was about his mentality.
It’s the usual “Chen Taiji is more martial, just look at this” then they do some stomping and fail’ing which makes it clear they’re not more martial than anyone else, perhaps even lesser.

Adding - I’ve somewhat interacted with a Chen Taiji teacher in Beijing of the Beijing branch he was impressive.
Also I train in Hunyuan-Taiji (teachers in Dalian) and can only say about them - impressive
Last edited by Trick on Tue May 07, 2024 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bao on Tue May 07, 2024 4:03 am

ctjla wrote:Think the hate is because they don't really teach anyone anything. For example, Zhang Zhijin only really taught his son. When long time students would enter the room, he would immediately shift topics. And Chen Zhenglei is a money printing machine that uses students trained in other arts around to take on challengers. ... Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

Now you are speaking about the Chen village guys, not about "Chen Tai Chi". I've also heard that some teachers from that place also try to get together with girls/women at seminars and camps and that people have been really hurt by stuff demonstrated on them. But again, this is about the Chen village. The government/CPC focused on Chen village because they wanted to promote Tai Chi as a sport. The Chen guys were selected, not to teach old skills and knowledge or "secrets", but to turn Tai Chi into a national sport. And that is exactly what they teach, a communist nationalist sport, that is also a tool for promoting China to foreigners. Maybe those guys get some people to "hate Chen Taiji", wouldn't be surprised at all. -shrug-
Last edited by Bao on Tue May 07, 2024 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 07, 2024 5:32 am

The Chen guys were selected, not to teach old skills and knowledge or "secrets", but to turn Tai Chi into a national sport. And that is exactly what they teach, a communist nationalist sport, that is also a tool for promoting China to foreigners.

I agree that the Chen guys were selected to represent tcc. But, at the time (80s), wushu was what was being promoted more than any tcc here in the US. It was all commercial, but considering where the PRC was at in the 80s, it made sense.

Ya know, I'm not really sure how popular Chen style is in the US. I only know one Chen teacher in NYC, and he doesn't have a school or teach daily. I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but it doesn't seem like Chen style has been that lucrative here. Though, I'm sure Chenjiagou has benefitted. You might be right that it's being promoted as a national sport.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Urs Krebs on Tue May 07, 2024 12:43 pm

Chenjiagou in the 80s was a small and poor farmer village. The School that now is owned by CXX/CXW belonged to the government wasn't very successful back then. The Wushuguan in Wenxian with Hotel for foreigners was built in the early 90s and wasn't very successful as well. The run on Chenjiagou began in the 2nd half of the 90s and early 2000s. Why do i know? i was there many times (since 1989) and observed.

I also can't say that my teacher did hold back secrets, he shared openly everything. As everywhere it depends on the human beings, the one you are and the one you meet. I'm always surprised about the statements about the village, but on one side most of them critizing it were never there and the village is not just the CXX/CXW lineage. Buying the former official school from the government doesn't make you automatically the "village" Chen Style representative as there are several lineages in the village both Da Jia and Xiao Jia.
Urs Krebs
Mingjing

Postby D_Glenn on Tue May 07, 2024 6:33 pm

ctjla wrote:Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

I didn’t realize that the communists were interested in promoting Taiji way back around 1952. I thought they were in the business of persecuting martial artists during those years. I learn something new everyday.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue May 07, 2024 9:54 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
ctjla wrote:Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

I didn’t realize that the communists were interested in promoting Taiji way back around 1952. I thought they were in the business of persecuting martial artists during those years. I learn something new everyday.

Is that the year CXW began studying ?
Back then I don’t think that village even was on the communist map of focus ? But TJQ and other gong fu wasn’t seen as something suspicious back then, wasn’t it during the cultural revolution(began 1966 ended about ten years later)such practice among things was put down ? After that people again was free to eat bitter or whatever ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Tue May 07, 2024 11:01 pm

Trick wrote:Is that the year CXW began studying ?
Back then I don’t think that village even was on the communist map of focus ? But TJQ and other gong fu wasn’t seen as something suspicious back then, wasn’t it during the cultural revolution(began 1966 ended about ten years later)such practice among things was put down ? After that people again was free to eat bitter or whatever ?

Yes. According to his bio.
Liu Yunqiao escaped to Taiwan in 1949 and I was always under the impression that he was escaping from the Communist takeover, because he was a martial artist. My teacher didn’t start teaching openly until the 1980s.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed May 08, 2024 12:22 am

D_Glenn wrote:
Trick wrote:Is that the year CXW began studying ?

Yes. According to his bio.
Liu Yunqiao escaped to Taiwan in 1949 and I was always under the impression that he was escaping from the Communist takeover, because he was a martial artist. My teacher didn’t start teaching openly until the 1980s.

Umm yes, however lots of teaching went on even during the cultural revolution-

He Jinbao began his study of Yin Style Bagua with Dr. Xie Peiqi in 1971.

https://www.yinstylebaguazhang.com/about_us.html
Trick
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Wed May 08, 2024 7:07 am

I can’t even believe that I have to write this: Of course teaching continued throughout that whole time period, there wouldn’t be any martial art lineages in China if that wasn’t the case. My teacher, and thousands of others continued teaching on the down low. They didn’t advertise it. The only time my teacher, Xie Peiqi, didn’t teach, was when he was starving to near death during the 2 year period of the great famine.
When the 1980s came and the communists reversed their stance, it was a 180 degree change, he started publishing some books on qigong and acupuncture. Because he was a well known qi gong practitioner he worked with the government to do some scientific studies on qigong.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed May 08, 2024 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Wed May 08, 2024 7:17 am

Bao wrote:
ctjla wrote:Think the hate is because they don't really teach anyone anything. For example, Zhang Zhijin only really taught his son. When long time students would enter the room, he would immediately shift topics. And Chen Zhenglei is a money printing machine that uses students trained in other arts around to take on challengers. ... Chen Xiaowang didn't event want to train but the government made him to preserve the lineage.

Now you are speaking about the Chen village guys, not about "Chen Tai Chi". I've also heard that some teachers from that place also try to get together with girls/women at seminars and camps and that people have been really hurt by stuff demonstrated on them. But again, this is about the Chen village. The government/CPC focused on Chen village because they wanted to promote Tai Chi as a sport. The Chen guys were selected, not to teach old skills and knowledge or "secrets", but to turn Tai Chi into a national sport. And that is exactly what they teach, a communist nationalist sport, that is also a tool for promoting China to foreigners. Maybe those guys get some people to "hate Chen Taiji", wouldn't be surprised at all. -shrug-

emphasis mine.

When moving my school to a new location a decade back, we had an open house and community event. A Chinese professor who ran the University of Arizona 'China Culture Bureau' ( I don't remember the name of the entity exactly, but he was quite officious ) attended with a few of his members. ( Falun Gong ish stuff ) After the 10 minute guided standing meditation and partner training things were wrapping up. He approached me and offered this proposal. Very directly so I wouldn't misunderstand, "If you ever decide to schedule an event promoting Chinese Culture (tm), we would be happy to help you with materials and promote your school." Quid Pro Quo. I responded, "Thank you for the offer. If any of your students wish to advance their martial skill through partner training, I would be happy to provide. Just get in touch." So, maybe the hate comes from this sort of 'Ring Road' nonsense.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan