mystery of Guo Yunshen tombstone

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

mystery of Guo Yunshen tombstone

Postby salcanzonieri on Fri May 10, 2024 1:11 pm

Here is the article:

https://www.academia.edu/117546697/Mysteriously_Guo_Yunshens_Tombstone_Does_Not_Mention_Xingyiquan

Quote from the end of the article:

Although the headstone has been relocated, there are stll several questons full of mystery and
worthy of in-depth study and discussion.
1. Guo Yunshen is a Xingyiquan master famous throughout the world for his half-step
smashing fst 半步崩拳打, Xingyiquan technique. Why isn't there even a word about
Xingyiquan in his inscripton? In his inscripton, there are four references to the boxing
experience he learned, but all of these report that the boxing school practced by Guo
Yunshen was Yue Wumu Yiquan 岳武穆义拳 (Yue Wumu fair boxing
). The four points in the
inscripton describe her like this: "'...He made some trips to fnd teachers, visit friends and
make friends everywhere in Yannan 燕南
and got to deeply examine Yue's Six
Combinatons Righteous Boxing manual Wumu, grasping the profound mystery of
Righteous Boxing', '...made Righteous Boxing clear and agile', and '...set Wumu Righteous
Boxing as a science'"; Why? Could it be that the boxing technique practced by Guo
Yunshen was not Xingyiquan? Obviously not! The tombstone was erected in October of the
21st year of the Republic of China (1932). Xingyiquan has long been known to be popular
around the world. Furthermore, there already existed an incredible amount of books
popularizing Xingyi Quan. Only published publicatons in the possession of the author of
the artcle are: "Xingyi Quan Xue" by Sun Lutang in May of the 4th year of the Republic of
China, "Details of Xingyi Boxing" by Liu Dianshen in the 9th year of the Republic of China ,
and in April of the 18th year of the Republic of China, Jiang Yongqiao wrote "Xingyi
Muquan", in September of the 18th year of the Republic of China, Jiang Yongqiao wrote
"Xingyi Zazai Pai", in November of the 18th year of the Republic of China, Xue Dian, Gao
Zhiren, Jiang Xinshan compiled the "Xingyiquan Lecture Notes" and other books. Why
doesn't a single character on the stele "erected out of respect by multtudes of disciples
and various colleagues" say that Guo Yunshen practced Xingyiquan? It's really
disconcertng. Furthermore, perhaps these "multtudes of disciples and various colleagues
who have erected respecters" had litle interest in Xingyiquan; about these people who are
not really "multtudes of disciples" of Guo Yunshen? These so-called "multtudes of
disciples and colleagues all, etc." Are they powerful counterfeits? Is it a draf or are there
other secret issues not yet understood? In short, this is a difcult issue to understand that
can fnd neither a soluton nor a person to guide us to it.
2. Why are Guo Yunshen's birth and death dates not marked on the tombstone? The date of
birth and death are usually writen on the tombstone. This goes against the conventonal
format for erectng a headstone and setng up a biography. But why didn't the person in
charge of the tombstone write down Guo Yunshen's birth and death dates when he
erected the tombstone on October 21st of the Republic of China? It's really disconcertng!
To this day, Guo Yunshen's birth and death dates remain a historical mystery. So far, there is
no detailed and reliable material to fully support and explain the exact tme of Mr. Guo's
birth and death. When was Guo Yunshen born and died?
3. Why isn't there a list of the "multtudes of disciples and various colleagues who out of
respect erected” the tombstone in the inscripton on the underside of the stele? Likewise,
there is no trace of who all the people indicated in the "list of those who, with their fellow
disciples, donated property, money and materials to erect the stele in memory" are? These
are all practces that violate the conventonal format of setng up a monument! Why?
These are all practces that violate the conventonal format of setng up a monument.
Why?
2 Refers to Yue Fei
3 Area south of Beijing, i.e. the area where Shenzhou is located
4. Who is "Yu" 余 mentoned in the last paragraph of the inscripton: "Citng the writngs of Yu
Yindi 余因涤 I stab with the pen to become immortal"? He must be the one who
"composed and brought together the book the Old Lotus Man and the refned Son". But
why didn't he write his surname and where is his hometown? But only "Liansou Qingxuzi
莲叟清虚子 (Old Lotus Man and the Refned Son)" was writen. This is not the name of the
person who created the inscripton, but the "alias" of him. Only the "alias" remained and
the real name and hometown are not writen. This is also a difcult queston to
understand.
The above four issues that go against the common sense of erectng monuments and inscriptons
are truly bafing! Leave people with endless thoughts! Maybe I'm ignorant and short-sighted, but I
hope that those who know me will be generous enough to enlighten me and clarify my doubts. Let
us work together to rectfy the source and make due contributons to the promoton and
development of Xingyiquan and the promoton and development of Chinese martal arts.

-----------------------------------------------

In my research studies, as mentioned in the XY chapter of my book, originally XY was considered to be derived from Yue Family martial arts descended from the returning soldiers of Yue Fei. In the Loyang and other counties.
Both my book and in Joseph Crandell's latest XY book, we show two different forms that come from Yue Family martial arts that are very similar to XY animal forms. The form I showed was like Liu He Xinyi Quan animals and Crandell's form shown (from a different county) was more like XingYi Quan animals.
The basic material that is considered to be from Ji Long Feng is also said to be derived from Yue Family martial arts.
So, to me, it is not strange that Guo was named as a Yue Quan master. I don't think that outsiders knew the name as Xing Yi Quan.
Last edited by salcanzonieri on Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Re: mystery of Guo Yunshen tombstone

Postby everything on Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

so it's more a question of the labels changed over time?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri May 10, 2024 4:50 pm

Everyone, especially senior aged individuals, would be well advised to state exactly what you want to be inscribed on your tombstone, and make those wishes a part of your personal Legal Will and Testament, so you can actually rest in peace knowing that you will be remembered as you choose to be.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri May 10, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm

He Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri May 10, 2024 5:02 pm

GM Guo Yun-Shen's fame and reputation as a martial artist has deservedly endured to the present day, regardless of what his style was called. The content of the training regimen is far more important than the labeling of it. -shrug-
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri May 10, 2024 7:32 pm

The first point, at least, seems just to be a replacing of the 意 (mind) character with 義 (good, justice; yi4 - same sound).
岳武穆意拳 and 岳飛意拳 and 岳家意拳 are synonyms of xingyiquan used in Guo Yunshen's line (more specifically, it means the parts of xingyiquan said to come from Yue Fei).

The glyph replacement may be accidental, or may be intentional as Yue Fei was famous for his good, just character.
And using this name of course sounds better than just "xingyiquan."
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri May 10, 2024 9:37 pm

edededed wrote:The first point, at least, seems just to be a replacing of the 意 (mind) character with 義 (good, justice; yi4 - same sound).
岳武穆意拳 and 岳飛意拳 and 岳家意拳 are synonyms of xingyiquan used in Guo Yunshen's line (more specifically, it means the parts of xingyiquan said to come from Yue Fei).

The glyph replacement may be accidental, or may be intentional as Yue Fei was famous for his good, just character.
And using this name of course sounds better than just "xingyiquan."

Not unlike the TCC association with the name of Chang San-feng in some styles.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 10, 2024 10:49 pm

I like Spike Milligan's tombstone at Woy woy

I told u I was sick
Last edited by wayne hansen on Fri May 10, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 10, 2024 10:53 pm

These days if you say the name Yue Fei in relation to xing yi, or indeed Chang sang feng in relation to tai chi, you get laughed at because modern people ‘know better’…
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan