Stair Gait

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Stair Gait

Postby Appledog on Sat May 11, 2024 3:03 pm

I found this very interesting ahd helpful article on Physiopedia. A bit academic but I am sure it will be of use to some of you!

Please see the original article for many well-done and useful visual aids: https://www.physio-pedia.com/Stair_Gait

Introduction

Stair Gait

A fundamental body movement is required to ascend and descend stairs. It is important for everyday activities such as shopping, taking public transportation, or going about a multistory building or apartment. The variation between the two modes of locomotion(level-ground locomotion and stair locomotion) may be significant for a patient population.

If a patient has adequate muscle strength and joint ROM for level-ground walking, it does not ensure that the patient will be able to walk up and down stairs.

Biomechanics

Locomotion in the stair gait involves both swing and stance phases in which forward progression of the body is brought about by alternating movements of the lower extremities. The lower extremities must balance and carry along HAT(Head, arms and trunk), similar to level ground gait.The knee extensor moment in both stair ascent and descent was nearly three times greater than that of level ground walking. The ankle moments are almost similar in both gaits. The knee has generative role in stair ascent( absorptive in level walking). Powers are mostly generative in stair ascent and absorptive in descent for all joints.

The stair gait cycle is divided into:

A.Stance phase and

B.Swing phase.

Stance phase is subdivided into

Weight Acceptance
Pull up
Forward Continuance

Swing Phase is subdivided into

Foot Clearance
Foot Placement

Vast amount of positive work is involved in stair ascent that is accomplished mainly through concentric action of the rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, soleus, and medial gastrocnemius muscles.
Last edited by Appledog on Sat May 11, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Stair Gait

Postby Reggie on Sun May 12, 2024 6:15 am

Everyone that I observe jumps up and down stairs.
Reggie
Santi

Postby everything on Sun May 12, 2024 11:02 am

training the deceleration where "knees go over toes" becomes increasingly more important as you age. if you can climb many stairs and feel good, great. if you can descend as many stairs with zero pain and feel good, even better!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 12, 2024 12:39 pm

Stand on one leg lift the other
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun May 12, 2024 12:52 pm

There are different ways to approach stairs.

for a whole new perspective I recommend recovering from knee surgery.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sun May 12, 2024 7:33 pm

I work in construction so I’m always going up and down stairs all day. I usually just do two stairs at a time. Or if I want to go fast I do like a sort of plyometric thing where I sort of load the leg then bounce it.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan