greatest taiji skill i've felt

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: greatest taiji skill i've felt

Postby iwalkthecircle on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:08 am

TaoJoannes wrote:
iwalkthecircle wrote:i knocked/throw/headLock them down while moving and canNot while standing.
i think in an actual combat keep moving is a better idea.

Sure, it's better in combat to move, as your experience illustrates, not only does that give someone more room to retreat, it makes entering much easier.

Sounds like they need to work on their moving-step more there. They seem to have a hard time translating the skills from one paradigm to the other.

For me, the fixed-step is merely a way of training that ability to hold your ground once your defenses have been breached, in moving step, the skills should basically come out when they're in the danger zone, if not, well, then, yeah, they spent TOO much time there.

why would you want to hold your ground once the defense have been breached...why not just run at 45 degree TOWARD them to escape after they push you away? (It is slower to run backward unless you spin around 360 degrees.)

i donot understand why most TCC people would actually practice fixed step PH before they practice moving, and since the goal is to do moving step to simulate actual combat.
i seen some of the moving PH matches from chen village that looks just like SC....

from your posting and mine, they are two sets of different skills.
TaoJoannes wrote: Many people possess this kind of ability, I can do it to many potential opponents in varying situations, I've had it done to me. As I train more I get better at it. The combat value is self-evident to me, but I don't see it as some mystical mumbo-jumbo as much as it is simple physics.

I think the true question is whether these so call high-level skill has combat value or not.
This is something i been thinking about myself.
IF it is ONLY useful in static PH, it might be time wasted.
johnwang wrote:Whether someone on this planet possess this kind ability or not is one thing. Whether this ability has true combat value is another. There are many ability that we can develop in our life time. It's our choice to decide what we want to spend training time in it. IMO, I pefer to spend my time in "finish moves".
Last edited by iwalkthecircle on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 am

TaoJoannes wrote:I neither believe nor disbelieve it. He killed his daughter, witnesses say he levitated from the grief. I've never seen anyone levitate, but I've never seen anyone shove a gerbil in a private orifice either.

i don't think any yangs killed any daughters. think how ridiculous it is to think that a martial arts master of old yang caliber would just fuck up and kill their own daughter cuz they did the technique to hard. on the contrary, the better someone is at taiji, the less likely they are to hurt anyone.

let's not forget all the bullshit in martial arts. not to mention the many sources that describe yang shaohao and banhao as people who didn't pull punches with anyone. you'd think if they killed one of their daughters they'd probably cut that shit out and there would be some big lesson in control in the yang taiji culture.
ninepalace

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 am

TaoJoannes wrote:
Ian wrote:
TaoJoannes wrote:One of the old Yangs, I can't remember if it's Pan Hou or Shao Hou, right off the top of my head, but it was one of them. As the story goes, he did a technique too hard, she died, and he was so overcome with emotion that he levitated.

Do you seriously believe this?

I neither believe nor disbelieve it. He killed his daughter, witnesses say he levitated from the grief. I've never seen anyone levitate, but I've never seen anyone shove a gerbil in a private orifice either.

The levitation is beside the point, though. The main idea of the story was that taiji is the only MA that I know of wherein an acclaimed master accidentally killed their own child in a training session. Don't lose the forest for the hate. :)

I don't hate you, but I think it's interesting you'd believe something like that.

So you think his martial skill was so great that he was able to defy gravity?
Last edited by Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:53 am

I don't think at any point in the post did the poster say they actually believed the levitation story.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:12 am

You're right. Here merely lacks the sufficient disbelief to stop himself from entertaining it as a serious possibility, of course.
Ian

Postby johnwang on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 am

kreese wrote:For the leg hooking/push move that you mentioned, do you think a good defense would be to wrap both arms, lean back and kick with the leg that is being hooked?

Outside crescent kick is the basic escape for leg hooking (this is why the coutside crescent kick is part of the SC warm up exercise). Attacking his standing leg is the basic counter for many throws.

- Raise the leg that has been hooked into a golden rooster stance and use your knee to lift up his upper leg.
- Use that leg to hook his back standing leg.
- Push his shoulder back.

Of course this depends on whether his momentum will run you down backward or not.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 am

Ian wrote:You're right. Here merely lacks the sufficient disbelief to stop himself from entertaining it as a serious possibility, of course.

Or he simply repeated it as he heard/read it.

Pink elephants fly around Cuba and bomb them with their elephant pies.

Oh shit I said something I must believe it. ::)
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 am

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Ian wrote:You're right. Here merely lacks the sufficient disbelief to stop himself from entertaining it as a serious possibility, of course.

Or he simply repeated it as he heard/read it.

Pink elephants fly around Cuba and bomb them with their elephant pies.

Oh shit I said something I must believe it. ::)

Would you also say you neither believe nor disbelieve the above, rather than flat-out know it's impossible?

Would you say seeing / not seeing your pink elephants is about the same as seeing / not seeing a man shoving gerbils up his ass, even though one is perfectly easy to achieve, and the other violates the known laws of the natural sciences?

I neither believe nor disbelieve it. He killed his daughter, witnesses say he levitated from the grief. I've never seen anyone levitate, but I've never seen anyone shove a gerbil in a private orifice either.

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me? :D
Ian

Postby TaoJoannes on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:17 pm

Straight-up, I've seen too much wacky shit that I had previously thought impossible to close the door on the possibility of any phenomena I've not seen yet. I can't attest to its reality, but neither can I conclusively deny the possibility. I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp. :P
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:46 pm

:D

I have no problems with you, though. No problems at all :)
Ian

Postby TaoJoannes on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Same here, inflection and body language are lost in the internet. We's cool, homie.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby kreese on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:13 am

John Wang,

I think I know what the outside crescent kick is. I saw the Beijing SC team practicing a drill where there would squat down and then stand up while doing a bent-leg outer crescent kick - the whole body would spin in the direction of the kick. I was able to use that move in wrestling almost immediately after seeing it when someone tried to sweep me or block my leg from the outside.

I was just wondering how to counter the 2-hand push and the sweep at the same time. What I understand from your response is that one should immediately go for an offensive counter instead of just thinking of "defense". And yes, if he has enough momentum to "run me over" then I am sort of screwed. I should thinking about running him over even when attacked (?)

Thank you for the thoughtful response.
Last edited by kreese on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:43 am

kreese wrote: I should thinking about running him over even when attacked (?)

IMO, running your opponent down is the highest level CMA skill. It can solve a lot of problems for you. When your opponent kicks you with a round house kick, if you have courage to move toward him then you won't give him the kicking distance that he needs. His kicking will not be effective. In CMA term, it's called "squeeze the space". The better throwing skill that you have, the more courage that you will have to move in because closer distance will be to your advantage.

Even if a front cut can counter a front cut but if your opponent has more momentum than you, your counter won't work well. If you can borrow his momentum and spin with it then you can take advantage on his momentum. The problem is if he pushes both of your shoulders (or even just the opposit side shoulder) then it will be hard for you to spin.

This is the "contact points" that I'm talking about. You don't just push at his "center". Instead you push him in such a way that he cannot borrow your force.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:34 am

ninepalace wrote:his demonstrations have also made me conclude that there is probably no such thing as chi. or at least i'm sure that chi is not something used ON another person.

simple proof there is chi: you are not dead.

chi just means vital energy and is used in a broad, and perhaps generic sense. chi means one is using energy, the trick is having "one chi", using the body as a whole...

everyone 'has' chi... picking up a penny from the ground requires the use of qi (both bending down and lifting the penny up)
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan