ground warmup

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

ground warmup

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:48 am

Hi folks, just wanted to check what kind of warmups people do for grappling.

I'm putting together a few exercises and doing a little freeflow routine.
Basically I'm doing some front and back rolls, some guard exercises with a workout ball, some push ups and crunches with the assistance of the ball, some sort of ginastica natural type of going through different positions and stretches etc....

Does anyone have any good exercises I could add to this routine?
My body is super weak, so I need to build up to being able to do a lot of stuff, but I'm digging the workout nonetheless. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: ground warmup

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:54 am

do lots of body weight exercises and jump rope
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:57 am

start with: similar to what you said you are already doing ...
a few types of push ups
a few types of situps
some frog jumps
some rolling/summer salts/ twisting/stretching your back

i think rolling itself is a great warm up and stretch ... so just start is slow to get your joints moving for a few minutes before you go too intense.

look at this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut7zYx5RII way awesome ... watch the whole thing.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 am

Yoga.

Plus - these are the most super awesome warmup drills ever. Try 'em!

They look easy, but they're not!

Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:20 am

GrahamB wrote:Yoga.

:o
Amazing!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 am

I did the 'spider' one with my little lad on my tummy, so he could trip around the room on me - he thought it was the best thing ever - after about a minute I had to give up, and the next day I felt like my back had been wrenched in two! ;D

Those exercises seem to get to places that others don't....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:36 am

The spider he does is actually a set up for postion change in the mount. You throw your outside which becomes your top side leg over and then pull your close-in or lower hip through and viola you're in a side mount position.
Its nice as an exercise though.
His "chicken" can be done with the arms swinging opposite to the legs like a dragon step. Think of the forward arm (and opposite forward leg) reaching and extending foward as if to pull on rope while the spine is being pulled back. Or do it with the arms out side- to-side as well. Bracing the arms behind the head not only does not help- it contributes to the spine not suporting itself properly and it only becomng a leg exercise.
Bodywork

Postby tim_stl on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 am

in the filipino wrestling i practice (harimaw buno), we have a lot of animal exercises that are very similar to that. instead of 'leopard,' we call it 'tiger.' crocodile is the same. many of the others (frog, shrimp, chimpanzee, spider, etc.) are slightly different and named after a different animal. good drills. combine them with a variety of rolls and you have a good warm-up or work out.

tim
Garimot Arnis - St. Louis
http://www.garimot-stl.com/

Spanish Swordsmanship Society
http://www.spanishsword.org/
tim_stl
Mingjing

Postby josh on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 pm

In addition to the previous suggestions, you could check out Stephan Kesting's grappling drills, or Scott Sonnon's Grappler's Toolbox.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Other options that apply to grappling:
- Selective contractions
- Leg kinetic chains
- Threading
- Scorpion kicks
- Helicopter kicks
- Bridging

Some 2 person drills:
- Top partner puts dead weight on bottom partner. Bottom partner had to move.
- Using frames and threading to get out from under your partner. Pile more people on top for extra fun.
- Wrestling with no submission. Don't hold a position for more than 10 seconds
- Wrestling with one partner tense (for variety, tense only certain parts of the body).
- Wrestling with one partner very relaxed.
- Wrestling using only certain parts of the body: arms, legs, trunk. Basically, impose certain limitations. It will make you want to use all your arsenal, putting things in perspective.
- Combine the last 3 drills: wrestle using only certain parts of the body. But work on keeping them tense or relaxed.
Etc.
You can work it to fully grappling session. For added difficulty, I mean fun, you can then do 3 people wrestling, 2 on 1, even mass attacks. Or that drill where a dude goes through all the partners staying in the middle. Or the winner stays always. So many things!
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am

These animal exercises are great traditional type stuff for jj. Also chekc out Andre Galvao on youtube for killer jj exercises by bjj world champ.
Cheers,
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKh2u-NfZkQ/[youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxL0E_sZqJk/[youtube]
Andre Galvao
J
Last edited by XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby RobP on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:31 am

Few more ideas. There's a ton of stuff you can do

cheers

Rob
RobP

Postby CaliG on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 pm

I actually got into a discussion with Steve Morris about Yoga + MMA.

Here's his response for those interested.

Yoga for MMA
Jan. 6th, 2009 at 4:36 PM
I got an e-mail from Greg Negrete asking about yoga for MMA. He mentions that it’s becoming very popular among fighters in California, where he lives. He says, ‘I like the idea of using my training time for maximum benefit. I'm curious if you think yoga falls into this?’

Your training time has to be specific to what you do. With regards to yoga, it rather depends what is being practiced. Is it the complete system, or is it specific asanas? To work on the complete system would be crazy, in my opinion. As far as specific asanas, some of them might very well be beneficial to a ground game. Eddie Bravo’s rubber guard would be more easily applied if you could put your foot behind your own head to start with. But you don’t have to do yoga to learn to do that.

Flexibility and the ability to maneuver your body is naturally important, particularly on the ground, so as to put on holds and escape them. But the dynamics of these movements in fighting are never static. So if we were talking about flexibility within a range of movement, it needs to be dynamic flexibility we’re addressing, not the static poses of yoga.

I’ve seen some Brazilian ‘Gynastica Natural’ used as a warmup, and I would say that this is more applicable to the ground fight than straight yoga. But I personally wouldn’t use it. I’d rather extract from the fight the movement patterns that I perceive to be essential within the fight, and work on those patterns in a warm-up, for example, always switching from one pattern to another. I wouldn’t want to be dictated to by a prescribed routine or statically held pose that’s been taken from a training system that is a long way removed from the fight.

With regards to the above, there is obviously the possibility of connections between Yoga and Kalari Payat, and when I look at it, I can see that one of them seems to have influenced the other, but it’s hard to be sure which came first. And in any case, yoga has gone off in its own direction.

The problem I see with static-held position is that it sets a low neural drive and slow-twitch fibre motor recruitment, and there is evidence to suggest that this type of warm-up or flexibility training is inappropriate when performed before a dynamic workout.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni43a4.htm

http://www.readysetgofitness.com/newsle ... types.html

Unless, of course, the static-held positions are done within an isometric framework and the slow-moving patterns are performed in a dynamic tension framework. If you do work isometrically (with an internal sense of explosiveness), you do elicit higher neural drive and high fast-twitch motor recruitment. But it’s only a CNS prep; you must then almost immediately go into explosive movement to train the fast-twitch and superfast twitch fibres specific to what you need to do. I’ve written about this phenomenon in some detail when describing the isometrics we do at Primal--just have a look under the 'isometrics' tag on the left side of the page.

This kind of approach, for me, makes sense of Tai Chi, particularly the Chen System, where there is exaggerated eccentric loading and dynamic tension movements that follow, as well as explosive movements within the form; it's a way of prepping the CNS for explosive force development. There’s explosiveness concealed within the movement. It’s not just slow movement.

One of the links above compares the percentage of slow-twitch, fast-twitch, and superfast-twitch fibres and shows that although you might be genetically predisposed to a given ratio of these fibre types, if you specifically train in an endurance, non-explosive way, then you’ll develop more slow-twitch muscle fibres, even if your genetic predisposition is toward explosiveness. And vice versa. So the way you train really matters. If you are going slow and doing this static stuff, you have to add the explosiveness. Presumably the MMA fighters doing yoga have plenty of explosive work elsewhere in their training, but you have to make the most of limited time in the gym, you don't want to be doing too much slow work at the expense of the explosive work.

I practiced yoga, but it was about the challenge of the postures for me; I wanted to be able to put both feet behind my head and walk on my hands, but it wasn’t connected to martial arts. It was simply a physical challenge. And I’ve always found personally that if I did any static stretching prior to a workout, my performance went down. I’ve observed in others, who were extremely flexible, that they had a certain disconnection when fighting on the feet. Their kicks, for example, were as high and as pretty to look at as you can imagine, but they carried no power. Whereas I’ve seen other guys, who were not as flexible but more connected, find a way to get the kick where it needed to be and still produce the power. So I’m wary of getting too caught up in flexibility.

If you want to play body chess on the ground, then flexibility could be a great bonus. But it would be better to look through what the yoga guys have got to offer and extract the dynamic movements that seem to be appropriate to an actual MMA fight. When I look and see what a lot of trainers are doing on You Tube with regard to MMA, a lot of it has no connection to what the fighters have to do in the ring. The fighters go along with it anyway because they trust their trainer. They waste a lot of time on something that's non-essential.

This kind of static stretching is often put at the end of the session, as a cooldown, but I don’t do that. I want my guys to go out with a high-firing neural impression of what they’ve been doing in the training, which they can bring to the next sesssion. I don’t want them finishing on a low neural drive impression. So if you’re going to do any static or slow stretching, then do it separately to everything else, and do some other form of warmup beforehand.

On Sunday, I noticed at Primal that my guys’ hip flexibility wasn’t what it should be. The range of motion they had available to them wasn’t enough. The hips are an important link between the legs and the trunk, and so they need to produce stability, but that stability has to be accessible through a range of dynamic movement. The movement of the hips facilitates punching, kicking, throws, and changing of position on the ground. So I showed them some exercises I do, but we don’t need to make a big production about it. They’re very simple, and you don’t need a yoga teacher or a lot of time and effort to do them.

So the short answer is: extract what you can use if you think there are some specific exercises that will help you, but don’t get caught up in a fad.

http://stevemorris.livejournal.com/17529.html
Last edited by CaliG on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:05 pm

oops
Last edited by XiaoXiong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan