IT/IS

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

IT/IS

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Now that the other thread has closed down, would someone care to explain to ignorant me what all these new-fangled terms are supposed to be and stand for?
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Re: IT/IS

Postby Dmitri on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 pm

You forgot "IP"... ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:16 pm

I'd like to shove your head into a blender.

I mean, oh, you are right. Add that to the list.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 pm

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say "internal training", "internal strength" and "internal power", respectively.
(Never use these abbreviations, personally... I'm guessing they're coming from other forums? :-/)
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 pm

IT is a side-track. Dubbed, 'Internal Strength/Power', IT is a method of accessing and engaging the fascia as the converter of intent rather than the musculature.

IT involves a shift in awareness of center from within one's own structure to an awareness of center outside of one's own structure. IT jams force vectors from external sources at their origin by entering the structure of that source and connecting said structure via one's IT response.

Just as there are various methods by which folks prime their movement mentally, there are various methods of accessing IT. Some relate IT through a perceptual model that they define as 'intent', while others access it directly through the relational aspects of mind/intent as it manifests conglomerately.

A lot of useless words, I know, but IHTBF to be understood, apparently. Once felt, it is like the tao. The 'superior' man practices it diligently. The 'middling' man keeps it close - gaining it and losing it. The 'fool' laughs. If the fool didn't laugh, it wouldn't be IT.
Last edited by BruceP on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Shooter I REALLY like that description. thanks for writing IT!
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Shooter, you may (apparently) be the only person on the planet who can answer my question:

Is it possible to structue a movement scenario whereby a person with no previous experience of IT could experience it for themselves, without having it demonstrated or approved by someone who already has IT? I'm not talking about developing a viable combat skill, just a glimpse of what IT feels like that one could build on and explore on their own.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:Now that the other thread has closed down, would someone care to explain to ignorant me what all these new-fangled terms are supposed to be and stand for?

IT like totally IS what IT IS, man. It don't mean nothin'...nothin' at all! ;)

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm not concerned about the theory behind them, I just want to know that they mean. IT can mean internal training, internal talent, etc.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:10 pm

BTW, from a physiological perspective, "fascia" is simply a term for tissue that holds other tissue together. Your brain has fascia in it, muscle tissue itself contains fascia, your skin is a form of fascia. Essentially your entire body is held together by fascia, so the explanation of using fascia in lieu of muscle is flawed. There are a variety of type of fascia, forms that interact and interpenetrate your bones, your blood vessels, etc.

While I understand generally what people are driving at here by using it as a means to explain the theoretical differences between "internal" and "external" mechanics, in reality it is just as flawed and whimsical as the use of terms such as meridians, flow of qi, micro-macrocosmic orbits, and the dantien. It may even be more so, because it is a pseudo-scientific attempt to re-explain that which has already been explained, using terms that were not designed for use when describing the mechanics of the body in "internal" martial arts. Using terms such as ground path loses much of the nuance that goes along with the term Peng.

Rant over.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby dps on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Over on Aikiweb I started a thread ( http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthrea ... ht=missing) about what Dan Harden, Mike Sigman, and others say is missing in Aikido. I asked if people doing Aikido felt there was something missing in their Aikido. The title of the thread is "Is it missing in everyone's Aikido?". The word "it" was meant to represent what Mike and Dan felt was missing. There was no specific definition placed on the word but somewhere along the way the word "it" was capitalized to "IT"and eventually "is" was capitalized too.

It is interesting that the thread ran for 713 post over an undefined word, sort of like chi or ki you can attach whatever meaning you want IT or IS to be.

I am thinking of copy writing the words so I can charge for their usage.

David
Last edited by dps on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dps
Santi

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks Dave. Like I thought. Same day, same flavor ice cream, different brand, higher price.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:BTW, from a physiological perspective, "fascia" is simply a term for tissue that holds other tissue together. Your brain has fascia in it, muscle tissue itself contains fascia, your skin is a form of fascia. Essentially your entire body is held together by fascia, so the explanation of using fascia in lieu of muscle is flawed. There are a variety of type of fascia, forms that interact and interpenetrate your bones, your blood vessels, etc.

While I understand generally what people are driving at here by using it as a means to explain the theoretical differences between "internal" and "external" mechanics, in reality it is just as flawed and whimsical as the use of terms such as meridians, flow of qi, micro-macrocosmic orbits, and the dantien. It may even be more so, because it is a pseudo-scientific attempt to re-explain that which has already been explained, using terms that were not designed for use when describing the mechanics of the body in "internal" martial arts. Using terms such as ground path loses much of the nuance that goes along with the term Peng.

Rant over.

Well said.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby dps on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:Thanks Dave. Like I thought. Same day, same flavor ice cream, different brand, higher price.

Yes, nothing new just different packaging and different marketing strategy.

David
dps
Santi

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Brian, I don't know if there's really a shortcut to the physical experience because the exploratory work that I'm familiar with involves a meditative component that took me years to dial in. I wish I could give you a scenario whereby you could have a clear and pointed view, though, because I believe that IT is innate but we lose the educated 'ear' for the frequency IT operates on through our own personal 'hardening' throughout our lives. What may have calloused and dulled my sensitivity to IT will differ from everyone else's hardening, Just as yours will.

There are situations where my understanding of the mind/intent aspect of IT occur constantly in our daily interactions with others - in traffic and other public places where we're not 'thin-slicing' each other ::) But these occurances go largely unnoticed because our minds are somewhere else at the time. That's the neutrality on which IT operates - our mind being empty and unattentive to the interaction. A dichotomy for sure, but at the same time, the very nature of IT...as I understand IT.

I should be careful to point out that my understanding may be vastly different from that of other folks whose explanations I've read here and elsewhere. Reading Bodywork's posts is like reading a different language a lot of the time. He might as well be speaking in tongues because I can't make head or tail of it most times. That's why I say that there are various ways in which IT may be accessed. We're definitely coming at it from a different construct. I also think our languages are different. I'm forced to apply a limited vocabulary to my explanations whereas someone with a superior education can apply a broader set of terms that may more aptly apply in defining and explaining IT. For instance, 'fascia' is a term I'd only seen used in the past few years and isn't a word I'd use if it wasn't already a part of the common language.

My own understanding of how '6 harmonies' factor into it all is the opposite of what Bodywork talks about, so we might not even be talking about the same thing.

Let me think on this a bit and I'll try to give you some simple movement scenarios like you asked for.

Bruce
BruceP
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan