what are you training right now?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what are you training right now?

Postby meeks on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 pm

about 2 hours of locks and throws 2x a week on a partner. still nursing my dislocated shoulder (3+ months now) so gotta take it easy for now.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:26 am

Yesterday I was doing this - it's very interesting work. I spend a lot of my martial arts training learning to co-ordinate the breathing and the body motion. Then something like this comes along which is the exact opposite. I kind of like it! Plus it makes doing push-ups so much more interesting.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby LaPointe on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:03 am

my deadly wikipedia surf style...

i usually hit the park whenever i feel like it (which is almost every day. almost...) and do whatever i feel like as far as body weight work. then i usually do about 10 minutes of standing (not enough) and 3 CMC forms. then i do a little standing or sitting as a cool down and go home.

i've been walking/riding a bike for a combined 15 miles a day on average for the last eight months. that's been AWESOME. living in europe makes walking anywhere very easy. i plan on starting a small weight training regimen and triathalon training when i get back to the states. my mom wants me to do a sprint distance triathalon with her in july. i hope one month of preparation is enough...

i'm pretty lazy and not good at sticking to a "workout plan"
LaPointe
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 am

your mom sounds cool!

My mom got me into qi gong, which subsequently got me into Martial arts.
Gotta love awesome mothers!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby LaPointe on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:14 am

she puts my training to shame.
LaPointe
Santi

Postby SquattingMonkey on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:59 pm

I usually do Yang style TCC during my entire lunch hour outside in the parking lot of my work. Then during my 2nd 15 min break either ZZ or more TCC. At home I practice 25-30 min of ZZ and usually 30min of TCC. I was doing a lot of dun hou shi and 5 element punches recently but I prefferd to go back my TCC that I know and love so much. Next year I plan on studying Cheng Baguazhang.
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby Areios on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:43 am

now training for a kick boxing event. lot's of cardio and sharpen the basics, and make hard sparring.
Areios
Wuji

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:29 am

Posture.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Syd on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:45 am

Picking apart applications within the form ... focusing on flow and subconscious response to random striking. Oh and baking bread.
Syd
Santi

Postby Fubo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am

GrahamB wrote:Yesterday I was doing this - it's very interesting work. I spend a lot of my martial arts training learning to co-ordinate the breathing and the body motion. Then something like this comes along which is the exact opposite. I kind of like it! Plus it makes doing push-ups so much more interesting.

Very cool stuff - One thing I like about the Systema stuff is their focus on breathing in different situations. I've found it very eye opening how much breathing affects my quality of skill during Randori, and it's interesting how many people forget to breath during things like Randori and situations of stress... considering the fact that breathing is suppose to be such a natural and unconsious activity. The breathing exercises from Systema is something I try to keep up from my Systema days.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Qi_Monkey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Just started training Xingyi, in which at least a third of the class is devoted to conditioning.....The real killer is an excercise known as "Snake Belly" where you move on your belly using just your arms and sort of pull yourself along, strengthening your arms and abs as you crawl along....Then it goes to other variations. just using different muscle groups, most of which I never knew I had...Actually threw up last time......But I honestly never felt that good about puking....I guess that a good sign... lol.. -barf-
Qi_Monkey
Santi

Postby Jeice on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:30 pm

karate & taiji tues/thurs/sat, boxing mon/wed/fri. Shodan grading this sunday...
Jeice
Anjing

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 pm

MWF: Hsing-i 5 Elements & Apps, standing meditation

TTh: Splashing Hands punching & footwork combinations, 4-corner drill & Small Cross

Saturday: Usually some form of moving meditation, lots of walking, hiking, etc.

Would love to get a backyard Jujitsu study group going on, but work's been crazy.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Johnny Drama on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 pm

I train gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 4-6 times a week. Its very competition oriented. Techniques stay the same for about two weeks which allow a great deal of retention. There are specific sparring drills as well as about 30 minutes full free sparring in class. I also study a little Greco Roman and Judo.

I lift kettlebells, but haven't lifted in awhile because I'm doing so much jiu jitsu and I get tired.

The big change for me is meditation. That is really helping.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan