Any two teachers?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Any two teachers?

Postby williamwilson666 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

If I may be frivolous for a moment; if you were able to study with any two practitioners of any diciplines in the world who would they be and why? Would be extremely interested in members feedback.

Here are my own:

1)Master Chen Yun San (Taiji)- Purely because, although my interest lies in Baguazhang, Alex kozma wrote that of all the martial artists he has met in any style, his skill in beyond equal. Also, the few writings (and from what little this master appears willing to give away) on this teacher suggest this form is not too dissilmilair to pre-cheng fu yang forms, even certain Wudang realisations.

2)Gokor Chivichyan (Hayastan Grappling System)- Hands down the most learned practitioner of grappling, in all its' forms, i have seen; both recorded, or in the flesh. Utterly remarkable- only Rickson, to my meagre judgement, is comparable- and next to noone actually studies with him.

Apologies if this bit of fun is condemned to BTDT- I just thought that I would give it a chance in the main forum.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Re: Any two teachers?

Postby strawdog on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:17 pm

I would try to study with Bruce Wayne for his mad ninja skills and cool toys and Tony Stark just so I can get awesome pimpin' skills, how to make mad money from inventions, and get to wear red and gold armor.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 pm

You get a drinking problem with that you know.

S- wants to be doctor strange
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:23 pm

strawdog wrote:I would try to study with Bruce Wayne for his mad ninja skills and cool toys and Tony Stark just so I can get awesome pimpin' skills, how to make mad money from inventions, and get to wear red and gold armor.

You should do a correspondance course in sarcasm-fu; I'd sign up! ;)
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby David Boxen on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 am

William, do you think that just b/c someone may be the best at what they do, that they'd be the best to learn from?
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby williamwilson666 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 am

No, I do not. However, a comprehensive knowledge of a system or skillset and an unerstanding of how this may be applied is, for me at least, a fundamental starting point. Not having met every teacher in the world, it is impossible to speculate on who may instruct or inspire me to the highest level.

To be perfectly honest, this was just supposed to be some idle fun! :)
Last edited by williamwilson666 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Bill on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:59 pm

shawnsegler wrote: S- wants to be doctor strange

Your half way there.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:06 pm

I think TJ or someone started a thread a while back asking people who they would study with if they could study anywhere in the US. You should check that thread William, it got a fair amount of responses.

Edit: Here's the thread: click
Last edited by chud on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Bill wrote:
shawnsegler wrote: S- wants to be doctor strange

Your half way there.

more like he over shot the mark! :D
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 pm

chud wrote:I think TJ or someone started a thread a while back asking people who they would study with if they could study anywhere in the US. You should check that thread William, it got a fair amount of responses.

Will have a look. Thank you.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby williamwilson666 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm

-Must confess I couldn't dig out any similair previous articles, so it may- and I am speculating here- have been on the old forum. If so, no harm in getting some fresh perspective here.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby TaichiMantis on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 am

Sifu Randy Choy in Honolulu. Totally knowledgeable in CCK TCPM, taiji, other southern styles...and knows how to apply it in real life.
http://www.hmaisociety.org/Bios/professors/choy-r.htm
http://i-chuan.net/pages/ChoyIndex.html

And my friend Ron(Aqira) from DL, for knife fighting and jj
Image Life is a bowl of cherry fu...
TaichiMantis
Mingjing

Postby Pennykid on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:54 pm

I'll say Kau San-lun because Steve Cotter makes him sound amazing, and Luo De Xuo because there's nobody that moves better IMO and by all accounts he has a well developed sense of humor.
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby klonk on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 pm

williamwilson666 wrote:No, I do not. However, a comprehensive knowledge of a system or skillset and an unerstanding of how this may be applied is, for me at least, a fundamental starting point. Not having met every teacher in the world, it is impossible to speculate on who may instruct or inspire me to the highest level.

To be perfectly honest, this was just supposed to be some idle fun! :)

I would not say teaching ability is ultimate, in what you look for. Brilliant ability to impart mediocrity is not what you want in a teacher. My humble two cents. (Learning it cost me more than two cents, consider yourself to be getting a bargain.) ;)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:15 pm

Oh, I suppose I should answer the question. Matt Larsen and Cui Ruibin.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan