Fu Style Bagua, Johnny Lee?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Fu Style Bagua, Johnny Lee?

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 am

roger hao wrote:Parry-
The fact that Johnny Lee doesn't teach the BaGua retreats is exactly what I am saying
about the school in Dallas. I am saying that I do not think that White Leopard Dallas is a BaGua school.

Neither is the school I'm going to. Lets think logically. External forms are what most people are interested in, as well as Tai Chi for health. Most My Jhong Law Horn places teach Bagua. I highly doubt that because they have more classes in one art than the other that it means they lack in the art with fewer classes.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby roger hao on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 am

Parry
Right and that looks like good stuff -not BaGua though. Bud
roger hao

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:05 pm

roger hao wrote:Parry
Right and that looks like good stuff -not BaGua though. Bud

You just made my brain explode. The very idea someone like you exists is mind boggling.

Maybe you could explain a little better, or maybe english is not your first language, or something. How is bagua not bagua?

You do know Pa Kua=Bagua correct? Or are you just against any place that does not foremost teach bagua? I have to admit you lost me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 pm

ParryPerson, if I might interject -- please take a quick look at roger hao's profile, and consider that he might (just might) know a helluva lot more about this subject than you. At the very least I wouldn't be asking him questions like "You do know Pa Kua=Bagua correct?" ;)
Just a thought anyway.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Dmitri wrote:ParryPerson, if I might interject -- please take a quick look at roger hao's profile, and consider that he might (just might) know a helluva lot more about this subject than you. At the very least I wouldn't be asking him questions like "You do know Pa Kua=Bagua correct?" ;)
Just a thought anyway.

You might want to look at what I typed. I'm sure he clearly knows that Pa Kua=Bagua, which is why I said "correct?". I don't see what kind of silly game he's trying to say, and you didn't clear it up either. What about "bagua" is no "bagua"? Profiles don't mean much to me, actions and words do. Getting defense over nothing or something silly such as a friendly "buddy" in a sentence is ridiculous. I don't care how long you've practiced anything.
Last edited by ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm

ParryPerson wrote:and you didn't clear it up either

I wasn't trying to... this isn't my fight. :) If he chooses to, he will respond.
I was just making a general suggestion -- but please do feel free to ignore.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks Dimitry -

Parry - I think I was trying to help you out in the beginning.
I guess your defensive posture is in response to my General Sun comments and
you are standing up with Fubo a little. I do know some stuff about the Gen Sun
Master Fu relationship and I am not looking for an argument but was really trying to
validate or modify my assumptions about all of that since I am intimately involved in
Fu Style.
My reply 'that's good stuff - not BaGua though, Bud'
was a response to -
He does not teach "White Leopard" Kung Fu. It is My Jhong Law Horn Kung Fu

since I am pretending to work my reply was slow and it followed your other reply - not making the right sense.
Do you see? I will continue to consider your jibe-
'You seem to be pretty mixed up buddy" to be a put down aimed at discredit.
And now - "the very idea someone like you exists is mind boggling" WTF is that?

You are throwing a lot of stuff around - are you a troll?
roger hao

Postby Buddy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:14 pm

"but was really trying to validate or modify my assumptions about all of that since I am intimately involved in
Fu Style."

My god it's noob bitchfest.

roger, since you are "intimately involved in the Fu style", and you are attempting to "validate or modify my assumptions about all of that"...exactly what are those assumptions?, pray. Since you need them validated and all. A martial artist would come in with attitude and say, "Your shit sucks." Are you saying that?
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:42 pm

I didn't mean for this to get all mean, and he must have read a little more into my "buddy" statement (I was trying to bring something up without offending you) to the point it was viewed as an insult, and I did not mean it as that. Some things he said still don't add up to me, but I'm not here to argue, I'm here to learn! Thanks for all the good posts guys.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

roger hao wrote:
Fubo-
You are reading correctly into what I was thinking about disciples and I still think you are gilding the lilly
on that one. At the same time I am intensely interested in the General Sun lineage and I would like to hear anything
you have on it. I have never met any of those Hong Kong Fu people but would really like to if I could. Now that I am here in Dallas
I have just realized that I need to go visit Johnny Lee. if I could stop working 16 hour days.

Roger,

What does "gilding the lilly on that one" mean? If you are insinuating that I am trying to dodge your question or something, well, I don't know how I can make it any clearer then the way I spelt it out for you. Your previous questions were vague to say the least - if you want to ask something then come out and ask it... If you are merely being passive aggressive, then find someone else to lay your Fu style issues on. Why are you "intensely interested in the General Sun lineage" anyway? If this is turning into a lineage debate, then spare me!
Last edited by Fubo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

About the My Jhong Law Hon discussion... something to note is that My Jhong Law Hon and Fu style Bagua were taught concurrently in the Hong Kong Chin Woo school, which is why a lot of HK Fu style people also train or teach MJLH. The MJLH people in HK Chin Woo are amazing and would say a lot more (so called) "internal" then a lot of the so called IMA people I've experienced - they also do very well in full contact competitions in HK, mostly against Thai boxers.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 pm

Meeks-
The guy who's name you can't remember is Fu himself and Victor Fu -his grandson does the same Fu style
that the Gen. Sun guys do so your comment stands against Fu Style overall. Johnny Lee and Victor Fu do the same Dragon Palm
form and the difference is only slight and it is stylistic. I don't know what you saw for a class -sounds unfortunate -was it recent?
There is youtube stuff of Victor and he is representing OK so I don't know exactly what you're seeing - I suggest checking his Vids.

not at all - in fact it IS the same style, but the grandson up here has taken it in his own direction to the point that the rumor mill has it his father 'disconnected' him from the lineage out of shame. I've seen his classes many, many times and have had to sit through some of his ...performances.... at martial arts banquets. Most local CMA guys kinda shrug when someone says they trained with him. Is that a shot against the whole lineage? hardly. that's like saying Cheng Ting Hua sucks because you don't like how I do bagua.. now htfu ;)
Last edited by meeks on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby ParryPerson on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Fubo wrote:About the My Jhong Law Hon discussion... something to note is that My Jhong Law Hon and Fu style Bagua were taught concurrently in the Hong Kong Chin Woo school, which is why a lot of HK Fu style people also train or teach MJLH. The MJLH people in HK Chin Woo are amazing and would say a lot more (so called) "internal" then a lot of the so called IMA people I've experienced - they also do very well in full contact competitions in HK, mostly against Thai boxers.

This is what I was reading, Glenn Guerin for quite a while was nationally ranked.

http://www.dimitraky.info/zldr/Sp_PaKua/sp1-6.pdf

Starting at page 8, Johnny Lee in picture on page 10, along as being mentioned along with Glenn Guerin as 2 of the 5 that demonstrated their respective styles.

http://makeabiggercircle.com/

Has a small picture on Glenn Guerin with this to say:

Sifu Glenn Guerin began his studies of Tai Chi, Pa Kua, and My Jhong Law Horn in 1979 and became an instructor under Master Johnny Lee in 1987. He became Chief instructor of the internal styles when Master Lee left Shreveport in 1991 and for My Jhong in 1998. A nationally ranked competitor from 1989 to 1994, he has since been an invited judge at regional, national, and international tournaments. He was also fortunate enough to have studied Tai Chi under Grandmaster Ma Yueh Liang in Shanghai, China.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 am

ParryPerson wrote:
Fubo wrote:About the My Jhong Law Hon discussion... something to note is that My Jhong Law Hon and Fu style Bagua were taught concurrently in the Hong Kong Chin Woo school, which is why a lot of HK Fu style people also train or teach MJLH. The MJLH people in HK Chin Woo are amazing and would say a lot more (so called) "internal" then a lot of the so called IMA people I've experienced - they also do very well in full contact competitions in HK, mostly against Thai boxers.

This is what I was reading, Glenn Guerin for quite a while was nationally ranked.

http://www.dimitraky.info/zldr/Sp_PaKua/sp1-6.pdf

Starting at page 8, Johnny Lee in picture on page 10, along as being mentioned along with Glenn Guerin as 2 of the 5 that demonstrated their respective styles.

http://makeabiggercircle.com/

Has a small picture on Glenn Guerin with this to say:

Sifu Glenn Guerin began his studies of Tai Chi, Pa Kua, and My Jhong Law Horn in 1979 and became an instructor under Master Johnny Lee in 1987. He became Chief instructor of the internal styles when Master Lee left Shreveport in 1991 and for My Jhong in 1998. A nationally ranked competitor from 1989 to 1994, he has since been an invited judge at regional, national, and international tournaments. He was also fortunate enough to have studied Tai Chi under Grandmaster Ma Yueh Liang in Shanghai, China.

I didn't read the pdf because it's taking too long to load on my computer, but Guerin sounds like he's worth checking out and learning from (if you like the feel of the class). I'm sure if Johnny Lee chose him to teach his arts he must be of a standard to Lee's liking. I'd also check out the MJLH class as that stuff from the HK school kicks ass.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby roger bu hao on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Buddy I would never tell you your shit sucks - that would be impolite.

Where'd you get the noob label from any way Willis?

Fubo -
Thanks that's the kind of info I was wondering about. Sorry about the guilding the lilly
thing but I was trying to say in a nice way that they weren't really disciples at all and that you said that
to beef things up. Hey - that's OK and I am most def not saying that their skills are lacking or that their
teaching under Gen Sun was lacking. I am saying that I don't think Gen Sun was a disciple and that he didn't
ever name any disciples. I could be wrong. I just don't think that there was ever disciple one in the entire
Fu system. I am intensely interested in all things Fu style so I am intensely interested in Gen sun lineage.
There is no debate on the Fu lineage because it is modern history. It is the same as hearing about a tree of
my family that I never knew existed so I want to know more.

Meeks - wow I haven't seen Victor in a few years - he was not that way last time I saw him. Again look at his Vids
and you will see real Fu style. The thing about him being cut off is not true and has something to do with a rivalry
issue going back to China. Victor is the source of Nick Gracenin's Dragon Palm - just sayin'. Also there is a school up
in Quebec that I visited that follows Victor and they are not too bad.
roger bu hao
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan