Conserving effort when sparring

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Conserving effort when sparring

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 pm

Dmitri wrote:There shouldn't be ANY adrenaline dump in sparring IMHO. That's why it's sparring not fighting. It's a "game", so "play" it, don't "work" it.

I agree 100% that sparring is not fighting. But I guess that it depends on your definition of sparring weather you still get the adrenaline dump or not.

Me, it depends who I fight. Most people are no problem. But sometimes knowing that I have a tough partner, it does make me "adrenalized". For example, I got hit on the nose a few times by the same guy while sparring, everytime making me bleed. He is very intense, so I usually get an adrenaline dump when sparring with him.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:37 pm

Ouch... I see what you're saying; I guess it does depend. Personally I would talk to such a guy and ask him to tone it down a bit, or (if he refused) I'd probably stop sparring with him altogether. I'm too old for getting a bleeding nose on a regular basis. :P
Oh well, everyone trains differently... 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Sprint wrote:
qiphlow wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote: I still have a lot of trouble staying soft while grappling.

don't fight it, mix.

Surely a contender for the Double Entendre Hall of Fame...
Qiphlow that was fast.

as it was intended to be. :)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 am

FWIW, my answer:

(1) Move

(2) Breathe.

Sounds simple, but so many people don't.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Breath well and spar alot. Relaxing gets much much easier the more you spar and the more you make an effort to conserve effort while sparring. Getting rid of excess fear helps alot too, but I think that comes with experience, imo.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby The Possible Human on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:07 am

Staying relaxed is the really the key. When you first start sparring, you are typically a ball of nervous or anxious energy. This alone will sap your your strength while you are standing still nevermind while actively fighting somebody else. While consciously trying to settle yourself down does help, sparring frequently is the most sure fire way to cure this. Eventually it will become just another training exercise for you and there is no reason consciously or subconsciously for your body to get all amped up. The same goes for competing if you ever chose to sport fight. It is easy to gas your first handful of fights. Each fight it gets progressively easier to relax thus negating any premature gasing and allowing your body to do what you trained it to do. It is only when you are truly calm and relaxed in situations like this will your full ability be able to be tapped.
The Possible Human
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan