how much do you follow what your teacher does?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

how much do you follow what your teacher does?

Postby gasmaster on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Okay, so after a few years of studying your art with your teacher...

Do your teachers try to keep you strict to what they say/teach you, or do they want you to take what they teach, explore it, and figure it out your own? Or is there a balance between the two?

What is your path, and could you explain what you mean a little? Maybe an example?

(The questions are little open ended on purpose)
gasmaster
Great Old One

Re: how much do you follow what your teacher does?

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 pm

My last two teachers always taught me that I am responsible for my own training. I should make the effort to learn what they teach, but adapt it to me, not the opposite. Explore what works and what doesn't. Try to improve what doesn't but keep in mind that my strengths (and failures) will come out under stress.

Use stress to test myself then figure what I am lacking and get back to work to improve it.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:39 pm

you have to follow it to understand what it is but then you have to play with it a little to understand the essence

if you want to pass it on-
you can pass the way the teacher showed and hope the students get the essence

or you can pass what you believe to be the essence..
in this case- over generations the art will change more that the other way...

neither is really good or bad....

franklin

hows that for a vague answer

edit- gasmaster- we are almost done translating the interview
Last edited by Franklin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 pm

i do my taiji forms almost exactly as i was taught, but i'm sure that they look a bit different than my teacher's right now as i haven't been in his class in almost 2 years.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:09 pm

About what I suspected, and have found in my practice. I was just sorta thinking about the responsability that we have to take in our own exploration, and how that effects your practice. going too far in either direction could potentially be a detriment.

edit- gasmaster- we are almost done translating the interview

wooohooo!!!
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:54 pm

After returning to a regular practice in a classroom under a qualified teacher after many years in the wilderness; I chose to "do it their way." The style has shown results over the years. Their practices must have something to say for themselves. I could do worse.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:03 pm

RickMatz wrote:After returning to a regular practice in a classroom under a qualified teacher after many years in the wilderness; I chose to "do it their way." The style has shown results over the years. Their practices must have something to say for themselves. I could do worse.

i wonder if this is a natural progression amongst IMA practitioners? i know of more than a few folks who have gone the "regular classes ==> self-directed practice ==> regular classes" pathway. i'm on the "self-directed practice" portion, but i've been kicking around the idea of getting back to a regular class.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:25 pm

As a teenager, Kung Fu, the TV series hit the airwaves in the 70's, and I was hooked. I started training in JiDoKwan TaeKwanDo under Won Chik Park, in Detroit. Then I discovered beer and girls ... Through out my 20's and 30's, on and off I had intense periods of study in Yoshinkai Aikido, under Kushida Sensei, mostly at the old Detroit dojo on Davison. In my mid 20's I also learned the Cheng Man Ching short Yang form of Taiji. I didn't learn push hands though. Then the multiheaded hydra of adult responsibilites entered my life ... In my 40's, I've invested a lot of time and energy in learning the practice of Zhan Zhuang.

When my youngest was getting her driver's license, I knew I'd have some time on my hands. Mid summer of 2007, I wanted to get back to a regular martial arts class. I would have loved to go back to aikido, but at 50, I don't think I'd be able to train the way I remember during my "glory days." I thought it better to leave my memories intact. I would have happy to continue to train with CMC Taiji, but convenience is a factor, and no one seems to be practicing it on my side of town. It turned out that there is a very well established Wu style Taiji school in my area. I have began training with them.

So far so good.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Mine's probably way different by now too, since I haven't seen my sifu in almost 10 years. Besides, he's a big tall guy and I'm about average height and build so it's only natural there would be minor differences. But yeah, that's my basic approach in a nutshell. Learn something verbatim, exactly the way it was taught, practice that for a while, then eventually begin to take it apart, fuck with it, break it down into drills, apps, etc. It's my baby from there on in. I'm kind of a non-linear learner that way.

You know what's funny, the older and more experienced I get, the I more I find myself reverting to what I've been taught. I think it's true that lessons learned early on last longer, and there's something about personal instruction from a qualified teacher that stays with you for life.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 pm

"You only practice when class, you no learn karate! Not ever! Not hundred years!"

A little lesson from my youth. You said it was an open ended question. :)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 pm

qiphlow wrote:
RickMatz wrote:After returning to a regular practice in a classroom under a qualified teacher after many years in the wilderness; I chose to "do it their way." The style has shown results over the years. Their practices must have something to say for themselves. I could do worse.

i wonder if this is a natural progression amongst IMA practitioners? i know of more than a few folks who have gone the "regular classes ==> self-directed practice ==> regular classes" pathway. i'm on the "self-directed practice" portion, but i've been kicking around the idea of getting back to a regular class.

I hope it is a natural progression. I would not want to do anything unnatural or anything.

Absent an in depth survey, I can only speak for myself. I am out of school at present. Though I can't speak for others, I run into a number of people in that status. I think of it as assimilating what I have encountered. Others might take it for slothfulness. Take your choice.

What I am talking about is the martial artist who has looked for the path, (tao, dao, do, rue, use your own word for it.) I don't mean the fellow who has taken the McDojang Introductory Course Special With Free Uniform!!! and given it up as a bad business. I sympathise, but I mean the person who has seen the path.

What I think is, once you have your pick and shovel, and know what gold looks like, the rest is up to you.

Happy Hour! All Mixed Metaphors Half Price, 4:30-5:30!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 am

i follow all the principles my coach tells me to very strictly, however i will always look slightly different to him because of different body shapes but for the most part its the same.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 am

craig, your avatar is superb!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 am

klonk wrote:
What I think is, once you have your pick and shovel, and know what gold looks like, the rest is up to you.

well put.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 am

klonk wrote:"You only practice when class, you no learn karate! Not ever! Not hundred years!"

A little lesson from my youth. You said it was an open ended question. :)

Ahh - Daniel san, blackbelt for holding up pants.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan