Hsingyi Santi - weight distributions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hsingyi Santi - weight distributions

Postby Toby on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 pm

50-50 through the ball of the front foot, heel of the back foot.
Toby
Santi

Postby Aged Tiger on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Dillon wrote:70/30....30% on the back leg, 70% in the ribs of the opponent via beng.

Now THATS more like it. 8-)

I was taught 30/70 Santi, 50/50 fighting in the beginning. Later, to not limit myself to an exact thinking, but to experiment with what worked for me individually. (By later I mean 5 years roughly).

I also teach in the same way.

C
perfect practice is the secret....
Famous Quote: "You Bagua look like wounded duck on butter"
Aged Tiger
Great Old One

Postby wuwei on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 pm

IMHO, single weighted for training definitely. I'm not sure about the weight distribution (how the hell do you measure it?) but I was told that I should be able to lift up my front feet without shifting my weight. That is the standard. It is not just for leg strength, it does something really good to your alignment and structure.
wuwei
Anjing

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:03 am

Dillon Q: "...70% on ribs."
?
Not a 100% ???
so i was wrong about H. - I delivery :o
Last edited by wiesiek on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:02 am

Its not rocket science you know, for the people who think weight distribution is silly. If exactly the same effort is made on both legs to keep the body up, its 50/50. More to the back or to the front is just that....more weight on the back or the front. Everyone knows what 100% is on something.

Not rocket science.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:15 am

i think its simple ...

beng em in the face or ribs as hard as you can and analyse the percentage weight distribution later ....

:D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:55 am

middleway wrote:i think its simple ...

beng em in the face or ribs as hard as you can and analyse the percentage weight distribution later ....

:D

I prefer to pi on them.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Dillon on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:58 pm

wiesiek wrote:Dillon Q: "...70% on ribs."
?
Not a 100% ???
so i was wrong about H. - I delivery :o

No, I'm just not good at it yet.
Dillon
Santi

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 pm

50-50 just sounds like a bad idea to me.

In taiji we'd call that double weighting, and it limits movement because a shift needs to be made before you can effectively maneuver.

Thinking on it, in hsing-I

front/back
In standing - 20/80
Form/Sparring - 0/100 and 100/0

Not just standing there on one leg, mind you, just that the weight of the body is always single weighted in one leg, as I'm constantly moving.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

So Tao, is your santi constantly moving? when you train it?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 pm

The only thing I train as San Ti is called, officially, the Sam Tai Sek (cantonese) standing meditation. As far as forms go, the only time in the system I've got that we actually use the official Sam Tai Sek posture is at the end of the Tiger shape. We open with Pi Chuan

In those cases, it's 80/20 rear weighted.

At almost all other times, in the Xingyi I do, my weight distribution is 100/0, there are some 60/40 70/30 places.

Now I can be forgetting some and misunderstanding some, but that's pretty much what I got, dere. 50/50 rarely happens. The only case I can think of at the moment is in the Guan Dao set. There's a lot of postures to check. I'd have to spend a couple days hunting to be completely certain.
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 pm

50-50 santi is not "double-weighted". it is the most mobile of all classical chinese stances. If you stand high, you can move quickly in any direction. the more you sink, the less you can move.

"double-weighted" is a really deep low mabu that you can't get out of.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby meeks on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:31 pm

weight in the back leg, front leg empty (as much as possible)
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm

I'm not trying to be argumentative, fwiw.

As I understand basic double weighting, when the weight is evenly divided between the legs, that is one kind of double weighting. When more weight is on one leg, that's a particular degree of single weightedness, and when all the weight is on one leg, that's complete single weightedness.

I don't buy that a 50/50 stance is the most mobile. It's difficult to prove conclusively, and it will vary by individual and situation, but I don't see how movement from 50/50 is really possible. Until one leg takes all of the weight, the stance is stationary. It isn't until the foot is picked up that it can move to another place.

What I'm saying is that 100/0 is faster and more mobile than 50/50 because a 50/50 has to become a 100/0 before movement can occur. Unless you're hopping, but I doubt seriously that a broad jump could be considered a higher degree of mobility than a step.

There are other aspects or manifestations of double weightedness, with different strengths and weaknesses. This is, specifically, double weightedness as it applies to the distribution of the weight between the legs.
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm

nianfong wrote:50-50 santi is not "double-weighted". it is the most mobile of all classical chinese stances. If you stand high, you can move quickly in any direction. the more you sink, the less you can move.

"double-weighted" is a really deep low mabu that you can't get out of.

-Fong

I think talking about double weighted too much is counter productive. Everyone has a different idea of what it is. Too many people worry about being double weighted without knowing what was being referred to for certain instead of just practicing and figuring out what works for yourself.

I was practicing san ti at 40 front 60 back but yesterday I asked my teacher to look at my stance and he showed me some different things and has me putting closer to 80 on the back.

When sparring the weight being slightly back increases mobility with forward movement. If you are 100% on the back leg and need to move forward you have to make a slight shift or fall before you can push off forward with the back leg. A 50/50 stance can move in any direction at about the same speed, stances that tend toward one side more than the other will naturally favor movement in a more limited direction. What you use depends on your strategy and circumstances and stances constantly change.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan