Reconciling more than1 style

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Reconciling more than1 style

Postby river rider on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 am

Working on another style can be very beneficial to your primary style practice, at a certain point. It can be like the anthropologist who studies other cultures in order to understand his own. And historically it seems that most or all current styles or systems were (created?evolved?developed?) from aggregates of different schools, styles, techniques...
river rider
Anjing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:22 am

Forms is just forms.

I practice southern black tiger, which is a Hung style. I also practice the lower five sets, iron palm and Iron vest of North Shaolin of Ku Yu Cheong. I also practice regularly standard western boxing regimens, weightlifting and cardio vascular activities unassociated with any eastern martial arts training.

End result is, my shit feels fine. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Forms is just forms.

I practice southern black tiger, which is a Hung style. I also practice the lower five sets, iron palm and Iron vest of North Shaolin of Ku Yu Cheong. I also practice regularly standard western boxing regimens, weightlifting and cardio vascular activities unassociated with any eastern martial arts training.

End result is, my shit feels fine. lol

What he said.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Iskendar on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:12 am

Interloper wrote:QFT ;)

Since it is difficult to find a teacher or school who teaches only internal skills -- unhindered by being part of any particular style's curriculum "package" -- I agree that it's best to find an art and school that has those skills and teaches them, and stick to that style as the vehicle through which the internal skills are learned, trained and inculcated. Master the basics. Then you are free to go your own way.

MetaQFT. Lately I feel I've been getting a grip on this silk reeling thing in taiji, and the result is an overwhelming feeling of "it's all the same" in everything I see. Well, it *should* be all the same, to be more precise: in that it fits in almost everywhere, though it's not necessarily always there. I also feel I learn a lot more from seeing other styles than before, I used to see techniques, now I see how the body moves (or doesn't move). Interesting shit.
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan