Private Lessons?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Private Lessons?

Postby Waterway on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:35 am

Hello All

As you see, I am somewhat of a noob, both to the forum and Internal Arts.

I have been steadily working at Taijiquan for only a few months now. Prior to this, I studied the art for 6 weeks last year. I had to stop because I had to go to college part time in the evenings (I work full time during the day).

Anyways, I have the final year of college coming up; it begins in September. I am concerned that my schedule will clash again with my Taijiquan class. I would be pretty unhappy to leave my Taijiquan training until next summer! I think Taijiquan is tricky enough to learn without this stop/start approach!

Good news is that thanks to my efforts in the workplace and classroom I got a good promotion in work. So I have some more funds to play with! ;D

I was thinking of taking private lessons with my Taijiquan teacher. He seems open to the idea. I was planning initially 3 x 1 hour lessons per month. I know this isn't much, but I figure it will be better than nothing!

Has anyone any experience with doing private lessons, be it as a student or teacher? How do they compare to a public class?

I was also considering bringing a training partner to private lessons, so we could work on some stuff in between lessons. I also thought that this would help my learning as I could see my teacher demonstrating something on another person during instruction (and vice versa). Anyone any thoughts on bringing a training partner to a lesson?

Many thanks for any input!
Waterway
Anjing

Re: Private Lessons?

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:14 am

If you want to do something, you will make time to do it.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Wu_Style_Disciple on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 am

It depends on your teacher.

You should get more individualized attention from your teacher in a private lesson. However, depending on your level, it may <seem> that your teacher is not giving you more attention. It may be that you just haven't mastered some of the fundamentals yet, so there is no point teaching you more. Don't mistake private lessons with "I get to learn more stuff".

It's up to your teacher if he / she is OK with you bringing a partner. You should ask him / her first. However, it would only be fair to pay more for that, since the partner will be getting a free lesson otherwise.

Again, it all depends on your teacher.

David

Waterway wrote:Hello All

I have been steadily working at Taijiquan for only a few months now. Prior to this, I studied the art for 6 weeks last year. I had to stop because I had to go to college part time in the evenings (I work full time during the day).

Anyways, I have the final year of college coming up; it begins in September. I am concerned that my schedule will clash again with my Taijiquan class. I would be pretty unhappy to leave my Taijiquan training until next summer! I think Taijiquan is tricky enough to learn without this stop/start approach!

Good news is that thanks to my efforts in the workplace and classroom I got a good promotion in work. So I have some more funds to play with! ;D

I was thinking of taking private lessons with my Taijiquan teacher. He seems open to the idea. I was planning initially 3 x 1 hour lessons per month. I know this isn't much, but I figure it will be better than nothing!

Has anyone any experience with doing private lessons, be it as a student or teacher? How do they compare to a public class?

I was also considering bringing a training partner to private lessons, so we could work on some stuff in between lessons. I also thought that this would help my learning as I could see my teacher demonstrating something on another person during instruction (and vice versa). Anyone any thoughts on bringing a training partner to a lesson?

David McKenzie :: http://wustyle.com :: http://youtube.com/dhjmckenzie :: http://dhjmckenzie.googlepages.com/wust ... nstruction

"Your training is nothing! The will is everything!" ~ Henri Ducard to Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins
Wu_Style_Disciple
Mingjing

Postby johnrieber on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:36 pm

in your situation, i'd say that private classes would a great thing to do if your teacher enjoys teaching people of all skill levels. some teachers do, and some teachers don't.

if you haven't been studying taiji for a couple of years, though, you'd probably get more out of the experience if you go solo to your private classes.

just my two cents--
johnrieber

Postby Waterway on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Well I do want to study Taijiquan, but I don't want to miss 10 months of training because I have to study in college!

My teacher said he is happy enough with it. I think he would rather instruct me than have me missing a 10 months of training.

I don't want to take private lessons because I want to learn "more", I just want to continue to receive instruction at a time more suitable to myself (and my instructor!) as due to other commitments I may not be able to attend class. The only thing I know for sure in Taijiquan is that I know nothing! ;D My bad if I wasn't clear on that before. Just to clarify, my choice at the moment is private lesson vs. not receiving instruction at all for 10 months!!!!!

Thanks to all for the advice so far.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby Buddy on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't know anyone on this thread except Darth. But he is right, Make it happen. Neither of us know your teacher. I teach privately on occasion and I'm fairly certain my students would tell you it's worth the cost. I won't because I'd be hard pressed to pay the kind of money I charge unless it was my teacher I was paying it to.

But I know what my time is worth. For my part I will show you more than you can assimilate in an hour. My job as a a teacher is to give you all the tools that you can take in so that you can start to figure things out for yourself. There are only a few people that I've wanted to stick around my house so let me give you as much as you can take and then go out and practice it until you think you need to see me again.

I'm not looking for a following. I'm looking for people who want get my shit and evolve it. Be better then me. I'm just a rusty old dog.

That said, I'm not really looking for any new private students. I'm very happy with the people I've managed to have a small influence in. I don't teach for the money anymore.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 pm

a lot of issues have been covered already...and if the teacher feels good about it, why not...

the only thing i'd add, is that if you are taking private lessons, it should include preparation outside for each lesson.

in other words: schedule time over the week to really work on things. make an appointment with yourself every day to work on what has been shared with you.

nothing worse than showing up for a private, not having been prepared...

but you know this...;)
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:59 pm

more importantly, you would do well to practice whatever it is you currently know on a daily basis (even if it's only 3 moves of a form). most teachers are more willing to put in the time teaching if they see that the student is practicing outside of class. you will get nowhere fast if you are only doing your taiji when you are with your teacher.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Waterway on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:47 am

qiphlow wrote:more importantly, you would do well to practice whatever it is you currently know on a daily basis (even if it's only 3 moves of a form). most teachers are more willing to put in the time teaching if they see that the student is practicing outside of class. you will get nowhere fast if you are only doing your taiji when you are with your teacher.

Thats a fair point. I try to practice what little I know every day. My ruleis don't ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself. It's not fair to ask someone to put in effort teaching if I am not putting in effort learning and studying.

Good points everyone has raised and certainly has given me food for thought. I will let you all know what happens and how I get on.

Many thanks again for the responses.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby Harvey on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:24 am

Well it's def better than going to a seminar every six months and then going ouit and teaching.
If this is your only method of getting teaching take it, a lot of poeple have to travel a fair distance just to get a decent teacher. It won't make you worse.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby wkfung108 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 am

I agree that a start/stop strategy to learning would be frustrating, if not detrimental, to your Taiji progress.

Private lessons are a great idea in general. This especially true if you want to work on mechanics, forms, power generation, qigong/breathing exercises, etc. While the more the better, 3 times in a month is OK. I'd suggest asking if you can video your lessons, or get an audio recording. At the very least, take very detailed notes -- you're going to have to practice on your own without frequent feedback, so you'll need a reference guide. (It goes without saying that you should practice a lot on your own the make the most of your lessons, right?)

It is a bit more of a problem if you're seeking push hands or practical combat skills. These are something that can really only be developed by pushing hands or sparring with as great a variety of people as possible, something a public/open/group class can offer. No matter how good your teacher is, (assuming he's willing to spar with you, which many aren't), he's not going to be able to change how tall he is, or how much reach he has, or what kind of reflexes and rhythms, or favorite techniques/strategies, etc.

Bringing a training partner can help a little, but like your teacher, he or she can't change fundamental aspects of himself/herself. (Perhaps it'd be more accurate to suggest that you and a friend go in for semi-privates -- a 2 on 1 lesson. Cheaper for you and more interesting for your friend.

Good luck!

Waterway wrote:Hello All

wkfung108
Santi

Postby somatai on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am

I teach privately and can say that it is in my opinion the best way to learn if you are motivated to train on your own and you are serious, if not you are much better going for group classes as it is much cheaper........unless you have the kind of disposition to absorb, explore and work what you know until you are ready for a new bone, you won't get much anyway.
Last edited by somatai on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
somatai

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan