Aggressive and Strong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Aggressive and Strong

Postby Elliot on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Cool Ian,

I've found that the liberal use of fart imagery is helpful in explaining many of life's mysteries.
Elliot

Postby kreese on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 am

LOL!!!

*sigh*

thanks.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby MAFAN on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 am

I reckon if I tried to take a healthy savannah lion on bare handed one on one- I'd get p4wned instantly- no doubt.
if I use my brrain and pick up a f'n rifle- then chances are the lion is on my lounge room floor keeping me warm.

not saying take a rifle to UFC- just saying that God (sry atheists) gave us other talents - like the ability to imagine/ strategise etc.
guess if u have not enough strength to overcome bigman- then find a smarter way to overcome- maybe fight, maybe hunt, maybe run etc.
:)
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
MAFAN
Santi

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 am

It is about having intention and doing.

You could fail, but without intention and doing, you WILL fail. Utterly.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:30 am

Very suitable name of the thread btw
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:44 am

well, in the CIMA context, i just want to kind of randomly suggest that there are two different flavors of aggression. :)
johnrieber

Postby Bodywork on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 am

Just getting a toe in the water- as this is not fighting just a demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfr ... re=related
Not that it's going to matter much, but there are deeper levels than what he is showing here. This is semi cooperatve play for him to show grappling "potentials" of Taiji's method. if the guy went for a single leg or started throwing punches the use of internal power comes into play as well but probably isn't going to look as clear as this. Since Internal power isn't married to waza, the waza can be anything you learn and choose to use. Your body training doesn't go out the window if you start to do jujutsu. The expression of it just changes.
Fa-jing with a punch into his chest, is the same as a fa-jing with 6 0z gloved fist, a shoulder strike can be an elbow to the head when they enter for a single leg. Natural and fluid resistence to throws -say a suplex- offer an IP fighter increased chances for set-ups all his own. Listening is the same whether in slow motion or all out exchanges. You just have to learn to read or listen faster. The upshot is the input is grosser and easier to spot, the down side (or more upside to me) is facig powerful, rapid changes. A good grappler's movement and intent is full of fients, set ups from punches and generally ...subject to change without prior notificiation ;D

There are guy's training internals and playing in wilder fields with uncooperative nonbelievers.
Bodywork

Postby canard on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 am

Bodywork wrote:Needing to ask the questions about size -with machine guns as a reply- is fine. It also openly states sort of where people are at in their understanding.

so what? everyone has to start somewhere.
not quite exactly in the service of the Crown
canard
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am

canard wrote:
Bodywork wrote:Needing to ask the questions about size -with machine guns as a reply- is fine. It also openly states sort of where people are at in their understanding.

so what? everyone has to start somewhere.

True. And they need answers.
External training offers answers like; holding someone off and learning to use you whole body to maintain postional supperiority for better leverage while the bigger man wears himself out using isolated muscle is one. Staying outside and using strikes to wear him down is another. Hell even advising to have far better cardio and hoping he gets gassed is a good place to start. None of which covers superior use of the body, better take down resistence, power in postional movement change and stability on the ground and greater striking power in tight, short distance, spaces giving far greater knockout power potential on the ground...all offered by Internal power movement in grappling. I guess its just a view , but all of which seems a better place to start an inexperienced guy off on their personal search to get answers, instead of saying it is more or less hopeless, go get a machine gun. YMMV.
Bodywork

Postby canard on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 am

Fair enough Bodywork. I happen to think that the brute force comment is a bit tongue in cheek.......i mean c'mon "brute force if it doesn't work you aren't using enough" it's kind of funny......while at the same time being completely correct....no matter how much "internal" you have, a tank(i mean literally a tank not a very large mma fighter) running over you is going to break your bones. and if it doesn't then get a bigger tank and if that doesn't work, get a bigger tank :) c'mon it's funny.....of course there are limits to the external, and some guys just have a genetic advantage in those stakes, but what the heck, it works...and what are the chances or running into an guy with proper internal skill? ;D ;D
Lemme ask you - do you think you can take a complete noob and get them up to fighting speed equivalent to noobs training external?
not quite exactly in the service of the Crown
canard
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:52 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:The Brock Lesner fight on UFC has got me thinking. Brock clearly had less skill. However he simply made up for that by being very aggressive and using his strength. I was a little dismayed to realize I weigh more than that beast, but he has WAY more muscle than I do. The situation of the large muscular fighter vs the smaller but skilled fighter is a common enough hypothetical scenario among martial artists and one I have often heard from martial arts teachers telling prospective students that their art will teach them how to deal with someone like that.

How DO you deal with someone like Brock? He only had 20 lbs on his adversary saturday but steamrolled him without taking any significant damage. I really think this question is something we need to ask ourselves if we want to be as good as we can be at our art, whatever it is. How do you deal with someone who is much larger, and extremelly aggressive?

I believe the rationale for weight classes was that, given equal access to similar martial arts styles, the larger fighter could far too easily impose their will on the smaller.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan