Yiquan questions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yiquan questions

Postby shenme on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:40 am

I am honestly just curious about this.

Yiquan trains a series of stances and I understand these stances are very important to Yiquan.

Are there any forms in Yiquan?
(like Xingyiquan has Wuxing and Chen Taiji has Laojia yilu)

How long before someone actually gets into the applications of Yiquan for martial arts?

And are there any books about Yiquan that anyone would recommend?

I’m not looking to train it I am just curious.

Thanks
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Re: Yiquan questions

Postby TaoBoxer on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 am

I have heard rumors that Wang SiFu had a couple sets similar to the 12 animal linking forms, but they might not have survived the first generation of disciples, and they may have been somthing that represented only a certain time period in his teaching. As for a decent book..... I dont know of any.

Lewitt
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am

shenme wrote:I am honestly just curious about this.

Yiquan trains a series of stances and I understand these stances are very important to Yiquan.

Are there any forms in Yiquan?
(like Xingyiquan has Wuxing and Chen Taiji has Laojia yilu)

How long before someone actually gets into the applications of Yiquan for martial arts?

And are there any books about Yiquan that anyone would recommend?

I’m not looking to train it I am just curious.

Thanks

There are no forms in Yi Quan like those you mentioned if you mean predetermined set sequences of moves. If you mean movement that is designed to train connectedness and whole body power then yes there is. It is called shi li. When talking of applications then there is punching, kicking and push hands. I suppose it depends who you learn from, but some teachers start this really quite quickly, using an iterative method of stances and shi li followed by push hands etc and back to stances again. Yiquan schools emphasize actual fighting as a training method (san shou) usually with protective body armor. Again the time it takes to get to this phase varies. There are no books that I know of that are any good, but this pdf file is excellent http://mysite.verizon.net/reswv21m/jpla ... h/id3.html .
Sprint
Wuji

Postby shenme on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks that is what I was looking for and thinks for the link

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Yiquan does have wuxingquan and some other techniques, but this is usually learned after all of the zhanzhuang, shili, mocabu, tuishou, etc. There are no sets (taolu, i.e. long set sequences), though.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby shenme on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:10 am

Someone I know suggested I get this book

Chi Kung: Way of Power by Kam Chuen Lam

It is mostly about the standing postures and he is talking about Dachengquan and discussing the elements much like Xingyiquan wuxing but the postures are not the same.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:02 am

Lam's Way of Energy is the best one I've seen for a beginner - full of really good stuff, but not too heavy. Way of Power talks more about martial aspects, assuming you have already progressed to a certain point. Both are excellent books you can refer to time and time again.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 pm

shenme wrote:Someone I know suggested I get this book

Chi Kung: Way of Power by Kam Chuen Lam

It is mostly about the standing postures and he is talking about Dachengquan and discussing the elements much like Xingyiquan wuxing but the postures are not the same.

I second that. I am rather impressed with this book. You really can start to gain useful results in standing practice, by reading it and doing what it says. Too many martial arts books impart information not skills, but this one delivers what it promises.

Edit: Limited preview here: http://books.google.com/books?id=8oSRtS5zBJIC
Last edited by klonk on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Briggy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Sprint wrote:
shenme wrote:I There are no books that I know of that are any good, but this pdf file is excellent http://mysite.verizon.net/reswv21m/jpla ... h/id3.html .

Surprised no-one has commented on this PDF and the site itself. Looks like there is some excellent material on there - without using terms like "Way of Power" :P either......
Briggy
Santi

Postby klonk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Briggy wrote:
Sprint wrote:
shenme wrote:I There are no books that I know of that are any good, but this pdf file is excellent http://mysite.verizon.net/reswv21m/jpla ... h/id3.html .

Surprised no-one has commented on this PDF and the site itself. Looks like there is some excellent material on there - without using terms like "Way of Power" :P either......

The original poster said it was what he was looking for. Seems like a positive comment to me. ???

I recommended Mr. Lau's writings on a previous incarnation of this board, and caught some crap for doing so. Apparently there are factions in yiquan.

If you are looking for an endorsement beyond what your own judgment tells you, Mr. Lau is an advanced pupil of a leading master. What he says makes sense to me, though mine may not be much of an endorsement. ;)
Last edited by klonk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby shenme on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 am

Briggy wrote:
Sprint wrote:

I like it and I'm still reading it, thanks

I was not able to get to it for an real good read until yesterday, prior to that I did skim through it and I liked what I was reading. I had to get sick and call in to work to have time to read. Sorry I did not reply sooner.
Last edited by shenme on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby shenme on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 am

klonk wrote:The original poster said it was what he was looking for. Seems like a positive comment to me. ???

I recommended Mr. Lau's writings on a previous incarnation of this board, and caught some crap for doing so. Apparently there are factions in yiquan.

If you are looking for an endorsement beyond what your own judgment tells you, Mr. Lau is an advanced pupil of a leading master. What he says makes sense to me, though mine may not be much of an endorsement. ;)

This Mr Lau, is he the same Mr Lau of the post about Lau Hsing in the Sad News post ?
Last edited by shenme on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby jjy5016 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 am

shenme wrote:
klonk wrote:The original poster said it was what he was looking for. Seems like a positive comment to me. ???

This Mr Lau, is he the same Mr Lau of the post about Lau Hsing in the Sad News post ?

No. This guy is a student from the Yao lineage of yiquan.

Lau Hsing was a student of Han.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan