How long should one practice a day? Baguazhang.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How long should one practice a day? Baguazhang.

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:07 am

As a bagua instructor with some experience, I've seen that It's easier for many beginners to teach themselves bad habits by practising on their own than it is to correct those mistakes when you only see them in class once or twice a week.

Solo practise is essential and regular solo practise is even more essential but quality and attentiveness is more important than quantity, I agree with Ian that no practise is truly useful without getting at least equal amounts of partner training.

I am also surprised that no one else mentioned the need for partner training -- extra practise, by yourself, doesn't make up for not having a partner -- especially for beginners and intermediate levels of students.

Partner work is the foundation of useful solo training in the future; but I don't think that training hours by yourself in the early days is particularly useful for most beginners.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 am

Thats going to be a problem, no one wanted to take the classes with me, and all of my classmates view me as inferior trash not to be bothered with. I spend most of the break time in a corner by myself doing stretches, I have tried to talk to them but it's obvious they feel like I'm a cockroach (which I guess is a correct feeling) and the only person teaching me and talking to me that I don't feel any air of "I'm better than you, go away loser" is the sifu.

Maybe after a while they will get used to me.

My point being I have no one to train with outside of class.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am

ParryPerson wrote:Thats going to be a problem, no one wanted to take the classes with me, and all of my classmates view me as inferior trash not to be bothered with. I spend most of the break time in a corner by myself doing stretches, I have tried to talk to them but it's obvious they feel like I'm a cockroach (which I guess is a correct feeling) and the only person teaching me and talking to me that I don't feel any air of "I'm better than you, go away loser" is the sifu.

Thats really unfortunate your classmates behave that way. But it can take some time to become part of the crowd too. Does your teacher do much sparring? I have always found that regular sparring practice tends to keep people's egos in check.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
ParryPerson wrote:Thats going to be a problem, no one wanted to take the classes with me, and all of my classmates view me as inferior trash not to be bothered with. I spend most of the break time in a corner by myself doing stretches, I have tried to talk to them but it's obvious they feel like I'm a cockroach (which I guess is a correct feeling) and the only person teaching me and talking to me that I don't feel any air of "I'm better than you, go away loser" is the sifu.

Thats really unfortunate your classmates behave that way. But it can take some time to become part of the crowd too. Does your teacher do much sparring? I have always found that regular sparring practice tends to keep people's egos in check.

I have not seen it yet in the bagua classes, the other classmates are a fair bit older than me, one is 83, I don't know if this is a reason, but once again I've only taken 4 or 5 classes so far. I know for a fact the Mizong taught there has regular sparring. Maybe once I get a little better I could ask to spar with them :)
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:29 pm

If you've been to 4 classes without sparring and one guy is 83, you might want to look at some other schools!
Ian

Postby Fubo on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:28 pm

There really has to be sparring in the class if you hope to develop the art for fighting purposes. You might want to check out the Mizong class and see how that fits you. The Mizong people from the same lineage in Hong Kong do very well in Thai Boxing competitions. From what i've seen they do very little in the way of throwing/take downs, but depending on what you're into it might be a good fit - and the Mizong people in Hong Kong we every bit as "internal" as the Fu style bagua people, so if you don't care about the label, Mizong is an art well worth trying. If you can get the people in your bagua class to develop a sparring progression for you on a regular basis that could be cool to, but it should be regular and structured in some way.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Ian wrote:If you've been to 4 classes without sparring and one guy is 83, you might want to look at some other schools!

This makes little to no sense whatsoever. Old people can't learn CMA? I've been to 4 classes.

In my entire life. I have no prior experience. I'd be a little worried if they had me sparring in as little as 4 classes.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 pm

Fubo wrote:There really has to be sparring in the class if you hope to develop the art for fighting purposes. You might want to check out the Mizong class and see how that fits you. The Mizong people from the same lineage in Hong Kong do very well in Thai Boxing competitions. From what i've seen they do very little in the way of throwing/take downs, but depending on what you're into it might be a good fit - and the Mizong people in Hong Kong we every bit as "internal" as the Fu style bagua people, so if you don't care about the label, Mizong is an art well worth trying. If you can get the people in your bagua class to develop a sparring progression for you on a regular basis that could be cool to, but it should be regular and structured in some way.

I shall see, as I've said, I've only been to 4 classes. I'll ask about sparring next time. The Mizong really doesn't interest me.
Last edited by ParryPerson on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby edededed on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Your classmates seem like assholes. :)

What did you learn so far?

More practice is always better, but don't hurt yourself (i.e. you don't have to keep going if your knees feel like they are going to break, etc.). In general:

1. Circle walk whenever you can
2. Practice drills a lot, too
3. Forms are just extra for now, but practice enough that you don't forget
4. Partner drills are nice, but as a beginner there are lots of other things to practice
5. Sparring is last - you don't need to spar yet (unless you want to revert to your already-existing habits of barnyard brawling and get beat up by your seniors)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 pm

I've never heard of learning partner drills right off the bat like that. Edededed has a good list there, and also do what your teacher says. Ask him about this too. Sometimes teachers will say something real general like "just do your best" so I know why you could be asking this. Work hard at what you are shown and your teacher will show you more.
Chris Fleming

Postby Fubo on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 pm

ParryPerson wrote:
I shall see, as I've said, I've only been to 4 classes. I'll ask about sparring next time. The Mizong really doesn't interest me.

That's cool, if you enjoy what you're doing that's all that matters - if they don't do the sparring in class, once you have some experience with Bagua maybe you'll find some partners you can spar with outside of class. Good luck!
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:53 am

ParryPerson wrote:
Ian wrote:If you've been to 4 classes without sparring and one guy is 83, you might want to look at some other schools!

This makes little to no sense whatsoever. Old people can't learn CMA? I've been to 4 classes.

In my entire life. I have no prior experience. I'd be a little worried if they had me sparring in as little as 4 classes.

Was trying to help, but nevermind. It's your path.
Ian

Postby affa on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:37 am

are you studying with some of Johnny Lee's people?
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 am

mizong--

1. there is a basic structure routine, very long, does not have direct apps. it is called yan qing jia zhi. it is very boring and tedious to learn and do, however, they are very important.

2. lian shou quan or linking forms may make more senses, but again it is a very long form, so we really have take them apart and practice in segments.

3, there is also a qin na and counter qin na set, this is my favorite.

--

yes, not everybody likes the style.

--

;)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:49 am

one thing at a time or one step at a time;

with 2 and 1/2 hours a day,

may be break them into 25 min sessions and 5 to 10 min break,

1. some standing in basic posture

2. some walking in straightline, curve, figure 8, circle etc with static or fixed posture first.

in the beginning, holding the right posture is very important, if not done right, pick up a lot of bad habits that would be difficult to correct later on.

when you start to walk, why in straight line first, b/c you have to hold the posture right and walk straight first

a lot of people are good at holding posture when not moving, but when we start to move, the shape or posture is gone or broken, po xing.

--

gradually build on what you have over time

--

lay a good foundation, so that we may build a soaring high building,

or the wiseman builds the house on the rock and not the sand

etc etc

have fun with your teacher and classmates, no matter how old or how young they are.

--

;D ;) 8-)
Last edited by SPJ on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
SPJ
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan