90% of all fights end on the ground, truth or BS?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 90% of all fights end on the ground, truth or BS?

Postby klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Cheats are a wonderful topic. I subdivide cheats (psychological maneuvers) into two categories, feints and invitations. This may be an oversimplification. For example, you might do both at once, threaten some intention than leaves an opening which...is not really there.

But for now I'll just heave it out there that I think there are two kinds of cheats, and if you think I have overlooked any, consider this an invitation to respond. ;)

Once I defused a tense situation by placing my left hand on the beligerent chap's right shoulder and sinking a little, putting a little weight on him and letting me feel if he moved. (This was a feint. It was a feint because it was not an attack and not an invitation. I may have the categories drawn too tightly here.) I grinned and said something harmless like, hey how you doin'? Like I was patting him on the shoulder like a friend.

He didn't have the least idea what I was doing, and at the moment neither did I, but the whole thing so confounded him that he went into cursing and demanding I remove my hand, and I kept grinning like an idiot. His mind was on my hand and unaccountable behavior. In the end, nothing happened, because, I think, I took his mind out of its accustomed channels.

Not responding right, stepping off the other fellow's train of thought, refusing even to buy a ticket on his train of thought, sometimes has plenty to recommend it.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:44 am

Klonk, theres a short story told by Derren Brown in his book that sounds right down that alley. If Felipe reads this he can detail it, since he has the book.

It went something like a big guy wanted to pound Derren, and he just kept looking past the guy and said something really odd and off topic, and the guy was bamboozled and didnt know how to react.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am

my experience has been that training in some grappling made me a better fighter all around (although not necessarily better at my true love, ILC).

ironically, i found that training in some grappling has made me better at staying on my feet, since i'm more aware of the possible techniques a grappler might use on me, and less afraid to engage a grappler.

and as far as using grappling in real combat, i can think of at least one guy in this clip who wishes he had some ground skills;

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby RayPina on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:51 pm

I've been studying BJJ for two years now and love it. I started because I was doing competitive fighting and found out real quick how bad it it is to face a grappling experts when you don't know nothing about the game, how to escape positions, how to regain favorable position.

A grappler will fair better on his feet swinging than a kung fu man would on the ground. It's a required skill if you wish to remain relevant in today's active martial art scene.

I don't recommend going down with someone in a bar, etc., but in one on one conditions there's nothing better than dominating someone on the ground. Keeping them pinned and feeding them strikes or submitting them. It's a relatively safe position if you are familiar with it.

Also, BJJ training will improve your cardio and all around health. Highly recommend it.
Last edited by RayPina on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RayPina

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Who the fuck let you come back?

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan