rocking the boat on LHBF

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: rocking the boat on LHBF

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry 'bout that, but finding the the beginnings of fight science really is like digging up dinosaur bones, you need every piece to see the true creature.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby NoSword on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Sorry 'bout that, but finding the the beginnings of fight science really is like digging up dinosaur bones, you need every piece to see the true creature.

+1 QFT

You really come up with some gems sometimes.

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 am

Duliu Tongbei does not resemble what most people think of as Tongbei - it is not an "ape system". The Tongbei still refers to power transmitted through the back and into the limbs (which is part of what I was talking about in terms of mechanics).

As for Wu having a teacher for each of the separate systems - Wu said as much in his writings. When I get back to the States I will translate and post what Wu had to say about Lu Hong Ba Shi and his various teachers.

The LiuHe Quan had a very long form that, properly practiced, takes about an hour to run through. There were a lot of succesions of movements that looked like they had been taken from both parts of what you are calling the Zuji Quan.

Wu also had a teacher who only taught San Pan Shi Er Shi.

The koujue (5 character secrets and rhymes of the system) are very much like the ones of the Liu He and Ba Fa systems, and these are fairly common in type and content throughout northern systems.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 am

Ven.Fish....

May I ask if the basic exercises amongst the different tongbei systems are the same but with changed emphasis to reflect teh mechanical differences, or are they using different basic exercises?

thanks

Yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

A one hour long form ??? , I love this stuff :D , did I mention fantasy arts ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby chow_farn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks for the info Ken.
I look forward to any news on LHBF
Friendship is like wetting your pants. Everyone can see it - only you can feel its warmth.
chow_farn
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Yusuf:

It depends on the Tongbei system - Duliu Tongbei and Hongdong Tongbei are not related to Baiyuan, Wuxing, Qi Jia, or Ruyi Tongbei - those are "ape movement" based systems and are basically similar in many respects, and share a common origin. Duliu Tongbei is more like "old" Shaolin - training power from body and kua, involving the legs, transmitted and in part generated from the spine and deep core muscles. The people I saw let me touch their chests, back, and legs as they demonstrated some of the movements - and also demonstrated some things on me - I was very pleasantly surprised to feel precisely what I know from all of my previous training was there in terms of mechanics - both obvious and hidden. The same was true for the Liu He and Ba Fa techniques.

As for the one hour long form - I asked "does anyone actually do that every day?" - "Nah, we practice it in sections- its broken up that way - sometimes we try to see how far we can go, but its gruelling. A couple of guys get through the whole thing a few times a week". For comparison, think Chen Taiji on steroids - all of these systems I saw in Duliu "grind out" the details of the movements as they practice - it was amazing to see one 72 year old do the forms with no less exertion than a 30 year old.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:15 pm

One clip is better than thousands words. :)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTYyNDAwMjY4.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODcyOTcyNzY=.html This is Tai Zu Quan.

The second last clip is Mianzhang.
Baji people, please don't tell me you dont see some baji elbow. ;D

Enjoy Guys.

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Overlord

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I don't speak it or read it , does anyone know this LHBF

The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 pm

Fabricated strories of acquiring martial skills from mysterious recluses or hermits were common in order to lend credence to the styles that ones either created themselves or were reluctant to disclose the real sources due to certain reasons. Gao Yisheng (Gao style Bagua founder), Xue Dian, and some others had all allegedly done so.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Although i do remember reading, there was the same mysterious Taoist involved in teaching both Xue Dian and Wu Yihui.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:49 am

kenneth fish wrote:Yusuf:

It depends on the Tongbei system - Duliu Tongbei and Hongdong Tongbei are not related to Baiyuan, Wuxing, Qi Jia, or Ruyi Tongbei - those are "ape movement" based systems and are basically similar in many respects, and share a common origin. Duliu Tongbei is more like "old" Shaolin - training power from body and kua, involving the legs, transmitted and in part generated from the spine and deep core muscles. The people I saw let me touch their chests, back, and legs as they demonstrated some of the movements - and also demonstrated some things on me - I was very pleasantly surprised to feel precisely what I know from all of my previous training was there in terms of mechanics - both obvious and hidden. The same was true for the Liu He and Ba Fa techniques.

Ah cool, many thanks for that. Hopefully talk through some of this when you hit the UK :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:06 am

Wu Maogui's version of Duliu Tongbei has a somewhat different flavor than, and bears very little resemblance to, what I saw in Duliu.

The LHBF video clip posted by WD is Wu Yihui's son or grandson - I forget which. He has a boxed set on LHBF.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 am

Yusuf, my SIFu Ken will be over in November ...will make sure you know dates etc :-)
WongYing
Huajing

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:46 am

So it was Liu He + Ba Fa all along?? What a shocker ;D
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan