Sincere post

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Sincere post

Postby TimHml on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Its been a while since i have been on this forum. I do still see alot of names of people I used to really listen to and I am I thankful because it did help me improve my xingyi. Maybe not just by taking their advice blindly, but by prompting more questions and exploring different body movements to find what has worked so far for me.

So here is my question:

I have about 12k saved up and I am really thinking about leaving the country to train in either Tawian or Shanxi. I soley train xingyi but do know tai ji form as well(just not my main focus).

I am not sure if this is enough money or if this is even a good option. I am a native american and know english very well and thought about teach english. Not sure considering I don't have a degree.

I am single and have no obligations. I am 29 and really considering this move. Any advice would be appreciated.

Peace
Tim
Last edited by TimHml on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimHml
Santi

Re: Sincere post

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 pm

I think you may need a degree to be eligible to teach English in most places (they can't give you a working visa without one). Not sure what you can do without a degree... That said...

If you want to learn old-style xingyi from Shanxi, then Shanxi is the place to do it (Che style or Song style). Lots of people you could learn from there.

If you want to actually make something of a living while learning xingyi, then Taiwan is probably the better place to do it. Of course, Taiwan's xingyi is mostly "new" Hebei (Li Cunyi lineages mostly, a bit of Sun Lutang). Also better food in Taiwan, and a more fun place to be (besides the martial arts), I would guess :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby TimHml on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:43 pm

yes i feel there has to be a balance. i do think there are very great fighters other than che or song style xingyi practicioners. I have seen plenty.

I will consider taiwan and look into options. Thank you so much for your reply.

Peace
Tim
TimHml
Santi

Postby chud on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:11 pm

It sounds like you have enough saved to take you a long way in China. List member Michael Udel lives in China, he could probably answer questions for you.

Not sure about Taiwan. We have several members here who are living in Taiwan or travel there frequently, so I'm sure they can give you very good advice on that. I agree that Taiwan would probably be an easier place to live based on what little I have heard from my friend who travelled there on business. I just don't know if your money will stretch as far there.

I must say I admire you for considering the move and for having been thrifty enough to have the means to pull it off. I wish I had done the same when I was in my twenties. Best of luck to you.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:20 pm

You need a B.A. to teach in Taiwan, - you can teach without a B.A. in Mainland China, but you would need to get an ESL Cetificate before you got there, ...

... there are a lot of ESL Teacher Forums, - ask arund and find out which ESL Cetification School has the best placement in China, ( you won't get to teach in a University, or even a High School) - but you should be able to get gigs teaching Kidergarten; which are the most fun anyway.
Mike Strong

Postby wuwei on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:30 pm

The XYQ you can get in Shanxi and Taiwan are so different that I don't think it is hard to make a decision which one you prefer if you're already practicing XYQ. Not only the difference in the art itself but the style of the schools are poles apart (very traditional close family style vs modern dojo style) and the lifestyle and culture in the two places completely dissimilar.
wuwei
Anjing

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Mike:

Ah, I didn't know about that, sounds like a good plan for Tim.

Wuwei:

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, comparing the xingyiquan of Shanxi and Taiwan, it is quite different. I would say that there is definitely more variety in Shanxi (lots of unknown treasures waiting to be found there). Besides xingyi, there is of course also Dai and Guo style xinyi in Shanxi if that interests you as well.

But what's the weather like in Shanxi? :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 pm

the food in taiwan sucks arse, don't listen to ed. Mike's on the ball re the degree/ESL situation. without a degree (in anything) in taiwan you can still find work but can't get a proper visa so you have to leave the country once a month which sucks, and all the employers will screw you around.

taiwan might be "easier" to live than mainland china....but it's also pretty lame compared to the mainland. it's less exotic or exciting or something - the mainland is fucked up, the mass brainwashing and ignorance and fear and mistrust throughout the society, but at least that kind of makes things interesting? taiwan is super boring, people's idea of fun is walking really slowly and annoyingly through a crowded night market. also it's much more expensive than china.

lots of people seem to like it here though so you might be one of them. the training is good, anyway.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Seems rather like Japan (everyone's idea of fun being walking in those stupid "shop districts"), but trust me - the food is much better than here. (Well, I imagine that foreign food isn't particularly well-done over there, either.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 pm

You have to ask yourself 2 questions.

What kind of lifestyle do I want to live?

And what style do I want to learn?

As I-mon said life in Taiwan is easier than the mainland but then again you miss out on having your world turned upside down.

Life in the mainland is very challenging but then again that is what makes it so rewarding.

Also, most of the major teachers in Taiwan have established themselves and they have students through out the world where as the mainland still has people who are unknown in the West but still teach the old school way.

Get in touch with Tadzio on .net. He lives in a "hardcore" mainland city studying Shanxi Xingyi and he could give you and idea of what to expect. He might even be able to introduce you to a teacher.

I too wrestled with this one. I visited both places and although at the time I would have preferred living in Taiwan I eventually choose the mainland because I knew I'd be able to find more teachers to choose from and I made the right decision for me because I found exactly what I was looking for.
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 am

I am not sure if this is enough money or if this is even a good option. I am a native american and know english very well and thought about teaching english.

Edited to correct the spelling.

You might want to reconsider teaching. Also, get in touch with Tadzio, I think he has the best Hsing-i master I've seen on the net, and he is in Shanxi. He's a traditionalist nut too. Good stuff. Don't know anything about Taiwan.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 am

also please bare in mind that you could very well go to any school in Shanxi and not get anything at all from the teachers for a couple of years ...

I have been told that alot of the time the attitude towards westeners in traditional CMA schools is ... ' this guy will be gone in two years ... whats the point in teaching him something that takes 10'. ..... Which i think is actually fair enough ....

So choose wisely!!!

all the best.

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:50 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:
I am not sure if this is enough money or if this is even a good option. I am a native american and know english very well and thought about teaching english.

Edited to correct the spelling.

You might want to reconsider teaching. Also, get in touch with Tadzio, I think he has the best Hsing-i master I've seen on the net, and he is in Shanxi. He's a traditionalist nut too. Good stuff. Don't know anything about Taiwan.

How do you know he's good? I thought he wasn't allowed to show anything video-wise. Or is there now something up somewhere, and if so can you point us towards it?

Thanks,
G
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby chrislomas on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:06 am

I think it is the same as with teaching - if you sit down, don't sweat, show nothing then people will think you're amazing. If you train hard alongside your students, take punches and teach openly and people will think you have nothing valuble - otherwise why give it away so freely? People presume 'secret' must = good :-X .

Personally I'd go on a visit to both places first, look out decent tuition (investigate america also, plenty of good teachers there also just not so exotic) costs some money checking thing out for a month here and there but it means you make an informed choice. After visiting China in the late 90s (with an 'in' to several 'good' CMA lineages) I ended up moving to America for good tuition. Not saying there aren't excellent teachers in China, just saying if you look hard there are in most places.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby TimHml on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for and will do my research.

MikeStrong, good to see you are still on here. I am the tall white guy that meet up with you in vegas a long time ago.
TimHml
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan