Lineage generations

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Lineage generations

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Have you stopped to considered that as IMA practitioners we're all probably on average within 10 generations of our style's founders? Those lucky Yi Quan practitioners are probably within 5 generations, or less.

If you count Yang LuChan as first generation of Yang style then I'm 8th generation Yang style on one lineage and 7th on another. That's pretty amazing. In 100 years from now everybody will be 20th generation, and they'll all be envious of us 'top 10' guys ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Lineage generations

Postby the.israeli on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:46 pm

Is that necessary a good thing? Some martial arts may see their top potential adepts after many generations. Consider modern teachers might not always have the ability to practice so called "24/7" like legends tell of past masters, but training methods are evolving, people nowadays may have much better living conditions (as is true for most of mankind in general), and modern science provides new ways to view and analyse the old traditions. Although many claim for a great so called "decline" in the level of knowledge and skill current generations posses, this is not always the case, and I believe we usually don't have an objective record of past masters and their abilities so we can make accurate comparisons and assumptions. Sadly, much of martial arts' recorded history is a fine mix of truth and legend...
the.israeli
Santi

Postby klonk on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I want to learn David's method with the sling. ;) Shalom.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:45 pm

I guess I would be 6th generation for bagua, 7th generation for xingyi, and 7th generation for taiji (if I ever learn it)... so, ha ha! I win! (Er, except that I am not actually in any lineage... :( )
edededed
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:49 pm

had i stayed with my yiquan teacher, i'd be 3rd or 4th gen for that,
if i ever do the disciple thing with my taiji teacher, i'll be 3rd gen (from ycf)

i'm counting the founders as gen zero
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Ah, yes - forgot yiquan, guess I would be 5th, then.

Founders are generation 1!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm 5th generation for Yang style. . . or 6th depending on who's version of the history you like.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Wow, you must be old! ;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Guys - we're all top 10 - people in 200 years time will think we must have had super powers ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 am

Start your own style and you'll be first generation.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:51 am

That is weird, I've never thought about that. If I ever make anything of myself in this art, I'd be 5th from Fu and 7th from Dong I guess?
Last edited by ParryPerson on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Frank Bellemare on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:14 am

I'd rather have a great teacher than a great lineage, although having both is probably even better. Guys like Zhang Zhaodong, Tim Cartmell, Hong Junsheng, Luo Dexiu, Sun Lutang... those are guys that start lineages instead of just continuing the tradition. I would rather just call myself a student of excellent teacher X than have to rely on the reputation of my style's founder that's been dead for 150 years.

If things continue the way they're going, 20th generation students are going to excel at dancing very very slowly and not much else. I think we've all met people who are 6th or 7th generation teachers of tai chi or bagua whose art is already "dead" as far as fighting ability is concerned. Now imagine the people learning from such a lineage 200 years from now. ::)

So yeah, you're right Graham, we "top tens" are awfully lucky. 8-)
Last edited by Frank Bellemare on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:27 pm

There is a saying in chinese gong fu that "do not teach your student eveything , or they will kill you" that is why masters pass down to the next lineage generation less and less- so if they taught their student less and it comes down that way through many generations ...you probably got 10% of nothing.

that is why diligent study of the fundamentals and principles is most important and that a good teacher teaches this and you must do ALL of the hard work yourself.

its not I am 7th generation this or 9th generation that...its how much hard work have you put in, and do you have respect with the current lineage circles.
neijia_boxer

Postby ashe on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:05 pm

i'm a 2nd generation lineage holder. ;D
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm

If GM Chang was 1st generation of his Shuai Jiao, and defenitely his Taiji (which I haven't learned yet but I really want to) then I would be third. Although I don't know if my teacher was ever an official disciple or not. I don't know about his other taiji teachers either but one of his other teachers learned from her father who was 112 when my teacher met him. I have no idea who the lineage goes back to originally.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan