huang tai chi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

huang tai chi

Postby somatai on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Curious who/if anyone on this board practices this style? I am speaking of the lineage that comes down from Huang Xingxian. From what I have seen and experienced this methodology produces very good Tai Chi players and I am quite interested in connecting into this training. Seems to mostly be in Europe and the pacific rim. Anyone in the USA from this line that can be reccomended?

thanks,
Derek
somatai

Re: huang tai chi

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ddfjp_MpGVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
some nice huang stuff
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWKHF6T ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FofBEedm ... re=related

Tai chi Chuan GRANDMASTER HUANG SHENG SHYAN push hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEo42yPI ... re=related

Grandmaster Huang demonstrates power of chi with a group 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0iqL10 ... re=related

Master Huang Sheng Shyan Taijiquan. Push Hands class.
Thanx a lot to Tony Ward for the video!
Another video with Master Huang: http://youtu.be/X6wel8osG1A
More information on Tai Chi Chuan and Tui Shou you will find here:
English: http://taiji-europa.eu/

Bob
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:41 am

The list on his site shows a Connecticut guy. Don't know his level
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby somatai on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:58 am

thanks.....not much luck on finding people in the U.S. in this lineage....anyone here ever study with Patrick Kelly?
somatai

Postby cloudz on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:05 am

Hey Somatai,

If i remember correctly blackhorse taichi was from this lineage.. He posted here a little bit and had a blog, posted clips etc. and is from the USA. So if you can get in touch he may be able to help you out.

I googled the name and he has some clips up on youtube, but the blog seems to be gone. Anyway i'm sure if you shoot out some messages to him in cyberspace you might get somewhere, he's on facebook too. Hope this helps.

best of luck.

Having said that, the stuff in that lineage came from CMC pretty much, so it's fairly similar from what I've seen. It's nice stuff, I practice some of Huangs push hands drills myself from time to time.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 am

Is that the white crane guy who became CMC's disciple?
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Yes, that's him. Met the man twice, wasn't impressed, but I was young and stupid...
We have some guys with studios over here in Taiwan, very fighty, but also cross training in Shaolin.
Of course, Malaysia still has the Huang stuff.
Patrick K., well, the golden light meditation is not my cup of tea, and his latest interview on Taijiquan history and styles is so out of date...
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:32 pm

I hate the shitty fake "pushing" demos.... argh >:(
nianfong
Administrator

Postby somatai on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:17 pm

based on my experiences I am quite sure there is nothing fake going on there.....thanks for the info George
somatai

Postby Briggy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:41 am

I did a workshop with Patrick Kelly once, and I thought the push hands stuff was really impressive. An old friend has been studying with him for about 15 years and from what I gather their push hands practice is pretty deep in terms of developing awareness/skills and applied techniques.
Briggy
Santi

Postby Giles on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 am

I’ve had a fair amount of contact/exchange with various people in the Huang style in Europe, who train mostly with Patrick Kelly and/or Wee Kee Jin. I also did a couple of seminars with these teachers (but long ago). I really like some of the basic approaches, solo exercises and pushing hands patterns they use, a couple of which have been stolen and adapted by my main training partner and myself. My core system also has some similar stuff, but inevitably we do things a little differently... ;)

My main doubt about the style as realized in Europe is that most of the practitioners, even if quite skilled at their own thing, tend to be rather inward looking and focus, in practice if not in theory, on tuishou as an end in itself. Not as a means of winning tournaments, but as an ‘end in itself’ within general training. There often seems to be something of a ‘glass wall’ between their tuishou abilities and then letting these flow into more general applications, free play/sparring etc. As soon as the (friendly) action moves outside the boundaries of what is covered by the (very good) fixed patterns they do, their skills and functional softness tend to break down quickly. This also applies to people who have been training the system for many years.
To my mind this may have a lot to do with the overall curriculum and teaching methods of the top teachers.

However, I know a few guys who are exceptions to this tendency. In these cases, they have already seriously trained other martial arts before (judo, karate, ‘kung fu’) and then subsequently begun the Huang system. There’s a very good French guy here in Berlin who, I believe, used to train stuff like hung gar, some bagua and possibly kick boxing. He is someone who nowadays tangibly uses Huang taiji (body structure/mechanics, strategies, some techniques) in free play / sparring, and it works very well for him. At the same time, I’m pretty sure that his abilities in distance, timing, martial focus etc. came from this previous experience and imbue what he does now. But he shows what you can do with Huang material in this context. In contrast to most of the practitioners as described above.

Of course, some would say that this de facto confinement of learned skills to the actual curriculum material is a problem with many taiji schools. Perhaps, but there are enough schools – in various styles – that manage to connect up the dots more comprehensively. And I do think the Huang style has excellent stuff in its box. It’s just that it often doesn’t move out of the box, at least here in Europe.

Cheers,

Giles
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Baguaplayer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 am

Well my thoughts and initial comment were going to be that this looks like typical cmc as would be performed by one of his disciples or disciples disciples(???wtf??).

Then Giles pipes in with

My main doubt about the style as realized in Europe is that most of the practitioners, even if quite skilled at their own thing, tend to be rather inward looking and focus, in practice if not in theory, on tuishou as an end in itself. Not as a means of winning tournaments, but as an ‘end in itself’ within general training. There often seems to be something of a ‘glass wall’ between their tuishou abilities and then letting these flow into more general applications, free play/sparring etc. As soon as the (friendly) action moves outside the boundaries of what is covered by the (very good) fixed patterns they do, their skills and functional softness tend to break down quickly. This also applies to people who have been training the system for many years.
To my mind this may have a lot to do with the overall curriculum and teaching methods of the top teachers.

Which completely sums up my experience and opinions of the 'style.'
Baguaplayer
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:07 am

I like how teacher Huang adds strikes and kicks in the demos. But gosh, how willing the students are to fly around him.

Giles wrote:My main doubt about the style as realized in Europe is that most of the practitioners, even if quite skilled at their own thing, tend to be rather inward looking and focus, in practice if not in theory, on tuishou as an end in itself. Not as a means of winning tournaments, but as an ‘end in itself’ within general training. There often seems to be something of a ‘glass wall’ between their tuishou abilities and then letting these flow into more general applications, free play/sparring etc.

That is a very common thing amongst all kind of tai chi practitioners. I have met so, so many people in various styles and lineages who are afraid to go outside their safe little box with all their rule sets and their ritualistic way of practice. They like being inside a cozy little bubble where there is nothing called "reality check" and no possibility to break their confidence about how their skills work outside in the big real scary world.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:13 am

@ Baguaplayer + Bao:
Indeed, it's a common problem. But on the other hand, even in the 'soft' and sometimes maligned Cheng Man Ching style there are plenty of schools and practitioners who do go outside the box and often get good results. Various people out of the William C.C. Chen line (also Cerebus here on the board, 'nuff said :) ) and a lot of people from the 'other' Malaysian CMC lineage, that of Yu She Ting (?), where mixing it up with other people is/was pretty frequent, or so it seems. The English/Malaysian Zhong Ding Association under Nigel Sutton has this CMC variation as its core art and they do lots of martial training, working very hard and exchanging/testing with other styles. Just one example.
But now there's a danger of the thread turning into a standard "taiji people are too insular"-argument. Maybe I pushed it in that direction, so herewith the spotlight back onto... the Huang style....!!!

Cheers,

Giles
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan