Hand or foot first?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hand or foot first?

Postby Josealb on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Every good cross should have a half step. Rocky Marciano and Dempsey are good examples.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 pm

The thing about doing a cross is that you don't always need a half step, since you would usually step on the jab. The other thing is you have to make different considerations for mma, since if you get in too close you risk being taken down.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby schmuhl on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:20 pm

Foot -> body -> step, right? While the subtle practitioner leads all strikes with the foot (rooting regardless of whether or not he is stepping), that doesn't mean that the strike is telegraphed by the body.

I'd worry that allowing the hand to lead the foot (in baguazhang anyway) would compromise alignment and rooting, especially with all the fancy-pants circling.
schmuhl
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:31 pm

schmuhl wrote:Foot -> body -> step, right? While the subtle practitioner leads all strikes with the foot (rooting regardless of whether or not he is stepping), that doesn't mean that the strike is telegraphed by the body.

I'd worry that allowing the hand to lead the foot (in baguazhang anyway) would compromise alignment and rooting, especially with all the fancy-pants circling.

Agreed. In bagua the foot has to step before most movements.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:I don't think you will find the idea of jab anywhere in IMA for that very reason.

Umm... Perhaps we mean different things by "jab"? I'm using the term "jab" to simply indicate the fact that "front hand" punches (vs. the rear one/"cross")
All 3 main CIMAs have a motherload of those, in all sorts of variations and flavors.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 pm

i use my will (yi) first
neijia_boxer

Postby jpaton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Josealb wrote:Every good cross should have a half step. Rocky Marciano and Dempsey are good examples.

what are you basing this on? i haven't heard any modern practitioner advocate the need to take a half step on the cross. you measure with the jab and when your distance is correct throw the cross or hook...

watch the video i refered to. freddie roach is a very respected boxing coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Roach_(boxing)

dempsey didn't even throw a proper cross he held his hands way to low to throw what most people would refer to as a cross. not that he wasn't a great fighter just that what he did wouldn't work in modern boxing.
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Dmitri wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:I don't think you will find the idea of jab anywhere in IMA for that very reason.

Umm... Perhaps we mean different things by "jab"? I'm using the term "jab" to simply indicate the fact that "front hand" punches (vs. the rear one/"cross")
All 3 main CIMAs have a motherload of those, in all sorts of variations and flavors.

Yep, we have a different definition of jab.
No problem. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Remember, you can throw a hook or an uppercut with the front hand too ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm

...or paint your nails on it. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Dmitri wrote:...or paint your nails on it. ;D

I had a funny experience the other day.
My friends (two college guys, a school teacher, and his girlfriend who is newly immigrated from Japan) and I were eating lunch.
I asked my friend's girlfriend what she does for a living. She said she is going to school to become a nail technician. I said "Oh great! You can do my nails!!". Then one of the guys who was with us (foaf college guy) looked at my one friend and said "I'm going to pretend that didn't happen". Lol, it was hilarious!!!!! ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:39 pm

ParryPerson wrote:
Dale Dugas wrote:Hands and feet should move at the same time.

My question is, why on earth would they not? I mean, I'm super new, and I was never taught foot or "fist" first, it's just a full movement done at once.

Why would you move one thing before the other?

I'm not saying any way is the right and only way, I'm just honestly curious as a newbie :D

In my opinion, hands and feet probably should move at the same time simply because you need to move a lot and change directions frequently and rapidly in a chaotic situation. Stop moving = fail.

HOWEVER hands and feet do not always have to arrive at the same time, which is what I think you're getting at (correct me if I'm wrong).

What if you want to hit three or more people in a short period of time? Are you going to take one step for each punch? Or take one step for three punches?
Ian

Postby dragontigerpalm on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:42 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:Remember, you can throw a hook or an uppercut with the front hand too ;)

I don't think that I've ever seen an uppercut thrown with the front hand. The uppercut I'm referring to involves sinking and full body upward spiraling and as such would be almost impossible - certainly less effective if possible - with the front hand remaining in front.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Dmitri wrote:BTW that particular thing has always been "amusing" (for the lack of better word -- no disrespect implied) to me, i.e. that cross is considered (by non-IMA types) more powerful than jab. There should be no difference whatsoever between how powerful those two are, if one practices IMA.
Just MHO; others' mileage will vary as always.

Dmitri - too powerful for MMA.

Kidding! :D
Ian

Postby LJN on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Hands and feet very close together.

Lonnie
LJN
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan