High level vs. low level

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

High level vs. low level

Postby johnwang on Fri May 16, 2008 7:02 pm

My definition of "high level" vs. "low level"

- If you can use your move against a resist stranger then no matter how ugly it looks, it's high level skill. If you can only use your move on your cooperated demo partner then no matter how pretty it looks, it's still low level skill.

- If you can use your move, even you don't have any theory or principle to support, it's high level skill. If you can't use your move, even if you have all the nice theory and principle to support, it's still low level skill.

What's yours definition on this?
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: High level vs. low level

Postby Interloper on Fri May 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Same as yours! ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat May 17, 2008 4:16 am

If you can beat your opponent, its skill (or luck sometimes ;D ).
If you can't beat your opponent, then your skills aren't developed enough for that situation.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Cryptohominid on Sat May 17, 2008 2:07 pm

High level skills are reflexive and determined by the much more efficient (and fast) sub conscious mind.

Low level skills are controlled by the conscious mind and are slow and rigid (read insensitive and slow to change based on input on the fly).

Low level becomes high level with constant practice.

Dave
Cryptohominid
Anjing

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat May 17, 2008 3:26 pm

High level skill requires less movement to echieve the same result as low level skill.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby DuYiZhang on Sun May 18, 2008 12:20 pm

You're just mimmicking and not really understanding it. That's what I get by that.
DuYiZhang
Santi

Postby Eisenhans on Sun May 18, 2008 1:24 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:If you can beat your opponent, its skill (or luck sometimes ;D ).

Luck is a skill, too :D
Don't ask me where I got this from, please... :-[
Last edited by Eisenhans on Sun May 18, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eisenhans
Santi

Postby Walk the Torque on Sun May 18, 2008 1:35 pm

DuYiZhang wrote:You're just mimmicking and not really understanding it. That's what I get by that.

mimmicking what?
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm

High level skill is what you call something you look up to, a skill you want to reach.

Low level skill is what you look down on, something from other styles (because you don't know better) or something you studied for 5-10 years ago and believe you have allready past.

If you have practiced for some years, you will never think that you have low or high skill, I think you will always believe you are somewhere in between the two, how good you ever become.

. . . if you want to have a humble approach to yourself and others that is . . . And it can be quite dangerous to believe that you are better than others.
Last edited by Bao on Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Sun May 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Eisenhans wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:If you can beat your opponent, its skill (or luck sometimes ;D ).

"Just relax, and trust my skill"
"Skill has nothing to do with it...it's going to take pure luck to get through this one"
"Luck is one of my skills!"

oh man I should watch that again, that series was awesome. If that's not what you're talking about then yeah fun I guess I'll look like an idiot.

On Topic: There's some good discussion about high and low levels in Miro's thread about alchemy, I suggest everyone check it out.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sun May 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Craig wrote:
Eisenhans wrote:

"Just relax, and trust my skill"
"Skill has nothing to do with it...it's going to take pure luck to get through this one"
"Luck is one of my skills!"

oh man I should watch that again, that series was awesome. If that's not what you're talking about then yeah fun I guess I'll look like an idiot.

On Topic: There's some good discussion about high and low levels in Miro's thread about alchemy, I suggest everyone check it out.

I want to make a guess about which series its from (being a giant fan of it) but I'd rather wait and not look a fool :-X
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby DuYiZhang on Mon May 19, 2008 4:56 am

Walk the Torque wrote:
DuYiZhang wrote:You're just mimmicking and not really understanding it. That's what I get by that.

mimmicking what?

What I meant was that you could be copying beautifully a set of moves but not getting the understanding of them or their applications, or you can't put them to work, obviously you're just mimmicking the person that taught you and that's it.(perhaps I used the term wrong).
DuYiZhang
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 19, 2008 5:25 am

"skill" implies (a lot of) specific practice (plus talent, etc.) John's definition seems to almost eliminate necessity for practice, e.g. if I practice some MA for 20 years but never fight anyone, and run into a guy who never practiced but is a naturally talented fighter and he beats me up, then his "skill" would be higher than mine?

One would have to ask, "skill in what"? There's no such thing as "just skill", it has to be "skill in something". In that situation, I'm presuming we're talking about a skill in fighting.(?) In that case, there would be little or no skill displayed by either party IMHO -- the guy would have no 'skill' because he hasn't practiced anything of relevance (but has good 'ability' because of his talent/genetics/etc.), and I would have poor skill because I apparently didn't practice well.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon May 19, 2008 5:27 am

DuYiZhang wrote:
Walk the Torque wrote:

mimmicking what?

What I meant was that you could be copying beautifully a set of moves but not getting the understanding of them or their applications, or you can't put them to work, obviously you're just mimmicking the person that taught you and that's it.(perhaps I used the term wrong).

Children learn to walk by mimicking, then after practicing it they "understand" walking. Learning martial arts is no different. Adults try to think about what tehy are doing or why too much. Kids just do it. A child may not have an intellectual understanding of a movement or technique but that will come with time and practice. If you only mimick and never get to practice doing though, then you run into problems.

High level is anyone who can whip my ass, low level is anyone who can't -box-

Seriously though high level is the shit that makes you go -dropjaw- the better I get the more subtle things make me do that.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Harvey on Mon May 19, 2008 8:45 am

To me high level skill is merely low level skill that's been worked at and refined through practice, it goes with my fave translation of kung fu, Effort and Time. Like i say to the newbs when i do stuff with them and they ask why I can do it and they can't can't "simple i've been doing longer"
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan