Kettlebells

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Kettlebells

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 am

Kettlebells4U wrote:Hey David,
this training combines strength with balance and agility work. You develop animal like strength, instead of one-dimensional strength like powerlifters have.
So yes I would suggest that as a martial artist, you should train like this!
This is a good vid, covering experiences with this kind of training:

Ido Portal is fantastic, I would love to attend one of his courses.

JB
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 am

Harvey I'd really recommend working your way through the (free) feldenkrais "awareness through movement" lessons at http://www.openATM.org. They are audio recordings so you just put them on, lie down on the floor and follow along. For everyone they're awesome, but particularly for movement rehab these kinds of lessons will go a long way to recovering your full "body map". They are super low-impact but still satisfying in terms of feeling "worked out", work is increasingly distributed to more and more of the body, and mostly you'll feel that the whole body gets sort of woken up, stimulated and relaxed, while the challenging workout is felt more in the brain as it learns to differentiate movements and bodyparts which have become mixed up or stuck together. Deep relaxation response as well so will help very much with healing overall.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 am

Harvey wrote:Thanks for the comments guys but like a few guys said I am coming back from nothing. I'm a 41 year old type 1 diabetic recovering form a lot of eye surgery that left me with my feet up all day for about 6 months. I've been back training for about two months with only light qigong practice during my downtime to keep me from seizing up. Add to that a lot of junk food during the whole period, sight loss really depresses you but I was careful not to drink any alcohol as there was a real chance of crawling into the bottle.
What I'm looking from the kettlebell work is to get my core fitness back to a workable day to day level, get some muscle tone back and a bit of weight loss as the junk food has taken a toll but not a massive one maybe 9 or 10 pounds. Once I'm back to a decent base then I can go from there.
I picked up a 6 kg bell which feels about right for weight for me, I've tried a basic two hand swing from about a double width stance with clean and jerk, been keeping it smooth and going down to around a 90 degree angle at the knee so I can keep my back (seen way to many ass out squats in the online videos). Managed about 5 mins of repetitions before feeling it and had a good "worked out" sensation the next day, enough to remind me I'd exercised but not so much as to be sore. Will try 2 x 3mins the next time and work up to 5 sets then prob add 15 secs until I can do 5 x 4 mins with a minute between sets.
Things like the Turkish getup look great for when I'm ready for them but right now I would freely admit I'm at a sub par beginner level of fitness but I am willing and stupid enough to get the work done, I don't want 20 years of cycling and 15 of MA training to go down the pan. So I'm looking at real basic core things, swings or overhead presses that involved picking the bell off the floor. I've seen a few I kinda like but as they are the first picks on Google I suspect there are better quality stuff out there, especially from some MA dudes. I can really see the potential of using one but as most of the stuff I'm seeing is a bit outside my ability at the moment and I'd just like to be able even to have a try at them.

If you are very weak and your muscles have actually atrophied then maybe scrap the TGU as that is basically a strength exercise and there is room for error (as in when you are getting up, if you are alignment is out, you could drop it).

Swings, cleans and presses are a good basic routine and try and include some type of squatting and pulling motion (row variation)

Check this video of Rudnev Sergei from IKSFA (International KB Sport Fitness Academy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikMudgU8uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-EcVtm4CGI

JB
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

I-mon wrote:Harvey I'd really recommend working your way through the (free) feldenkrais "awareness through movement" lessons at http://www.openATM.org. They are audio recordings so you just put them on, lie down on the floor and follow along. For everyone they're awesome, but particularly for movement rehab these kinds of lessons will go a long way to recovering your full "body map". They are super low-impact but still satisfying in terms of feeling "worked out", work is increasingly distributed to more and more of the body, and mostly you'll feel that the whole body gets sort of woken up, stimulated and relaxed, while the challenging workout is felt more in the brain as it learns to differentiate movements and bodyparts which have become mixed up or stuck together. Deep relaxation response as well so will help very much with healing overall.

What I-mon said.

At a later point, you also might want to explore some of the ATMs focused on the eyes and sight.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 am

Hey Harv,

Regarding weightloss, may I suggest walking?

When
Total time - 30 minutes
Every day if possible
AM or PM

Benefits
Lowers low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol
Raises high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol
Lowers blood pressure
Improves mood
Reduces stress, depression, anxiety
Improves brain function
Nourishes brain tissue
Stimulates production of neurons, synapses, blood vessels
Counters faltering memories in people past 50
Wakes you up
Improves quality of sleep
Higher & more stable energy levels throughout the day
Stronger muscles and bones
Bodyweight, zero risk of injury
Easier on the joints compared to higher intensity work
Fat burning, weight loss
Highest compliance rate of any exercise
Reduces real age - 90 days after regular walking program
Boosts immune system
Reduces by 50% risk of...
...heart attacks (provides just as much protection as higher intensity workouts), strokes, diabetes (muscles more sensitive to insulin, allows glucose to do its work inside your cells, rather than pile up in your bloodstream), arthritis, macular degeneration, osteoporosis, cancer
…compared with people who don't walk

How
Walk and Climb stairs
30 mins
10,000 steps
Moderate intensity
Speed - able to talk, but not sing
Flat shoes
Mid foot
Tall body

Wishing you a quick and successful recovery!
Ian

Postby I-mon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 am

Ian wrote:Wishing you a quick and successful recovery!

Yes! Get well you fecking fecker.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 am

Or get a dog like I recently have. A half hour walk at the crack of dawn, another walk midday, another walk in the evening.

Plus you get to work on your squats (picking up poop) and your grip gets stronger (when the dog suddenly darts at a squirrel).
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

How are you getting on, mate?
Ian

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Late to the party, but...

I bought one of these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=12472241

It's worked quite well, and I've had it loaded up to 80 lbs or so.

As far as recovery in general, I'd rate good food and good rest ahead of exercise. When you do exercise, don't make it complicated-- pick one or a couple of basic exercises that work the big muscles and stick with them. Pace yourself-- you may have the nervous system of an advanced athlete but the recovery ability of a novice. Keep in mind your body still has healing to do along with building itself up.

For kettlebells specifically, I really like them because they seem to be easy on the joints, plus I hate doing cardio (outside of walking the dog) and I can get it in along with some strength work. They're great for getting a workout done fast. I stick with swings, high-pulls, and snatches. On the swings and high-pulls you can go really heavy (relative to your size and conditioning level). You can watch videos, etc. to learn technique, but I think a lot of it is overblown. Keep your balance on the center of your feet, and make the movements smooth and explosive. If you start swinging 40+ pounds (maybe more if you're a big dude) with some hate, you'll figure out all the little pelvic tucks and sharp exhalations you need to stay on your feet pretty quick. Keep everything you do form-wise strictly functional to moving the KB and (in my opinion) you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 pm

http://www.realfighting.com/content.php?id=101

The best writing on kettlebell training I have come across: describing how it was was really used in the past, dispelling the present-day marketing hype, evaluating its characteristics, classifying it, and recommending proper training methodology using everything else we know to be true today about conditioning.

Wish there are more rational, systematic writings like this for other training tools as well.
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm

I appreciate the serious presentation, but the article itself is pretty bad. It makes a lot of unsupported assertions, confuses marketing with instruction, and uses particular teaching cues or presentation to dismiss entire exercises. The exercises recommended for the most part make no use whatsoever of the particular shape of kettlebells, with the exception of their version of the snatch (which, by the way is mechanically horrible, and from my time in playing with it I would say is far more likely to cause injury that any actual kettlebess exercise). In short, I would say it's an article by a person with their own agenda to push and who has never done any kind of even remotely serious KB work.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Wuyizidi wrote:http://www.realfighting.com/content.php?id=101

The best writing on kettlebell training I have come across: describing how it was was really used in the past, dispelling the present-day marketing hype, evaluating its characteristics, classifying it, and recommending proper training methodology using everything else we know to be true today about conditioning.

Wish there are more rational, systematic writings like this for other training tools as well.

This article, though a good yarn has massive problems in their argument and considering the ridiculous demonstration of those exercises, I cant see how anyone can take what they say seriously.

KB's use (Russian-Girya, originating from the Persian word, Giram, meaning heavy, hard and difficult) in Russia date back to the 1700's, there is also mention of them used in 6th century in Persia, Egypt and used by the ancient, Slavs. IMHO, I believe they most probably have their origin from the (石锁) shi suo - stone lock, considering geographically where China and Russia lie and the nearly identical exercises.

Their use in Russia began as grain weights used by farmers, who at certain festivals they used to compete with each other in bouts of strength by tossing them around, catching and pressing them.

Development of kettlebell sport in Russia is related to the name of the founder of heavy athletics Doctor V. Kraevsky. [1] Through 1870 to 1880, he travelled around Europe, gathering information about physical culture and the development of sports in view to improve health and well being. He introduced exercises with kettlebells and barbells to the Russian athletic circles.

“The 10th of August 1885 is considered the date of birth of weightlifting in Russia.That day in St. Petersburg, under the leadership of Doctor Vladislav Kraevsky, the weights training hall was opened. The aim of such was the propaganda of muscle development. Training was held three times a week. The athletes executed the press with one and two hands, the snatch and the clean and jerk with the Doctor strictly controlling doses and loads.” [2]

In the early 1900’s, circus performer, physical culturists and strong men from around the world (Arthur Saxon, Edgar Mueller and Eugene Sandow for example) trained with kettlebells just like the Russian strongmen and athletes. [1]

Slowly kettlebells felt out of favor in the West, but they began to flourish and spread in the former Soviet Union. Training with kettlebells became common practice for people in rural areas, the military and Olympic athletes. In addition to their training program, Soviet Olympic weightlifters utilized kettlebells unilaterally in order to strengthen their weaker side. To this day, countries of the old eastern bloc rely on kettlebells for supplementing the training of many of their athletes and armed forces.

Russian research concluded that kettlebells were an excellent and cheap tool for improving all around fitness and performance, and therefore kettlebells became the conditioning tool of choice for the Russian Army.

“Kettlebells improve coordination and agility (Luchkin, 1947, Laputin, 1973). Kettlebells develop professional applied qualities and general physical preparedness (Zikov, 1986, Griban, 1990). Lopatin (2000) has found a positive correlation between a soldier’s kettlebell sport ranking and his obstacle course performance.” [3]

References
[1] IUKL website http://www.giri-iukl.com/Eng/sub_men/history_rus_1.html
[2] European Weightlifter special issue 2005 http://www.ewf.sm/files/EWF_Speciale2005.pdf
[3] Pavel Tsatsouline website – different articles- http://www.dragondoor.com/kettlebells/news
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Just judging on the photos... this guy is so full of shit, it's not even funny.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:46 pm

DZQ,

Thanks for being a lot less lazy than I was in response to the article.

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:Their use in Russia began as grain weights used by farmers, who at certain festivals they used to compete with each other in bouts of strength by tossing them around, catching and pressing them.

This is the same origin as the Highland Games implements in Scotland. It's not too surprising, all things considered, but I found it interesting.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby prince... on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 am

zenshiite wrote:

Just judging on the photos... this guy is so full of shit, it's not even funny.

Read half the article and stopped to look at the pictures-- I agree with the previous statement. I'm far from an expert, but the stay at home moms I train have better form than the guy in the photos...also got tired of him taking shots at Pavel over and over again. Whether you agree with Pavel's approach or not, there are a lot of strong folks in his tribe.
Last edited by prince... on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kettlebells, Martial Arts, & Meditation: http://www.goldenbelltraining.com
prince...
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan