"Chiao Chang-Hung" / Chinese name (characters)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "Chiao Chang-Hung" / Chinese name (characters)

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Peacedog wrote:The ligament in the penis is much stronger than most people realize. As long as you progress slowly little risk to the tendon exists.

The issue is the nerves, to a greater degree, and vascular tissue, to the greatest degree, in the penis. The vascular tissue is easy to injure and has been the source of most of the injuries I've seen on people using Chia's material.

That's interesting. His videos are much more in-depth than the books and comefrom his training in Thailand. He specifically states in one clip that he has treated many people from Taiwan that have gotten injured from doing too heavy (he doesn't recommend more than 20-30lbs IIRC) and he says they rarely practice the rest of the material which is very important.

Peacedog wrote:What I can say outside that, is that there are some super-jacked purveyors of bodyweight and "not barbell based training" out there that are practitioners of this method. They advertise their exercise systems as the source of their "amazing fitness" when in fact it's the shih shui gung. I wouldn't quite say they are lying. It is just that you will never get their results from just doing their exercise system.

Also regarding Chia and YJM, they are known for having others write books for them on specific material and publishing it as their own. I've known people who were approached by both organizations.

The guys in Ohio, right? The thing is most of the "swingers" don't use the increased test to build their bodies the way they should nor is the nutrition there. The exercise portion isn't nearly as popular because it's hard work.

As for the ghost-writing, Chia's main disciple (Michael something?) came out and said he had ghost-written several of Chia's books after they split and then he retracted the claim after he went back.....um, got paid more money, I guess.

Peacedog wrote:If you look for some of James McNeil's students of his xishuigung/shihshuigung ... they have posted testosterone level lab results online in the past. It seems to take about a full year of practice to reach peak effect. The one I remember best went from a score of something like 245 ng/dl to 800 ng/dl over the course of a year.

That's a significant increase. An increase of that magnitude should result in the natural gain of at least 7-8kg of muscle mass with a corresponding drop in body fat. For normal guys over the age of 50, that's a game changer for sure. Sacropenia is something no one talks about and practinging a so-called "internal martial art" not only doesn't rescue you from the effects of sarcopenia, such practice usually makes it worse by denying the positive role that muscle plays in health, fitness, and fighting.
A friend of mine is doing a trial of HRT to see if raising his test levels can improve his lifting and his life and getting from around 250 to 500 costs him about US$100 per month IIRC and that's with insurance covering part of the cost. Getting a guy from 240 to 800 through HRt alone is expensive and they will regress if they get off the drugs.

Just want to throw out there that there are entire branches of iron body and xishuigong that don't use the weight hanging. In fact, Qiao's material is much broader than just hanging/swinging weights although how effective the other parts are without the hanging is up to debate.

The real contribution of this material and the other iron body neigongs is that this model provides an antidote to the nearly worthless "sink the qi to the dantien" neigong model that takes 25 years if it ever works at all. The effects of xisui/ironbody are felt very quickly, showing how potent they are.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 am

I was unaware of the Ohio guys, but it wouldn't surprise me that more people were in on this than are apt to acknowledge it.

The gentleman that put his bloodwork up said he lost 17lbs that year with no change in diet. And that tracks with the increase in testosterone pretty well I think.

As for the efficacy of this practice, all I will say is that "hard style" practices get a bad wrap in TMA. Particularly from the Chinese. I suspect most of it is a thinly veiled attempt to maintain the position of lineage heads. Because frankly if you don't do some of this stuff (i.e. hard style practice) you are never going to be that good.

It's kind of like the resistance training stuff. Everyone does something even if it is stone locks, holding posture with objects in your hands, isometrics, lifting weights, kettlebells, bodyweight, etc. Now if you only do the hard stuff and none of the soft stuff that is going to cost you. But if you only do the soft and none of the hard, well, you're not likely to be very good either.

Even with my Hermetics guys, if you aren't doing the resistance exercises, breath retention, maintaining your body composition, keeping your testosterone levels up, and avoiding intoxicants you aren't going to run that much juice. Of course you still have to get your timing right, practice the rituals, etc. At the end of the day it's all about basics.

Shihshuigung ups testosterone levels up which is probably analogous to kidney yang/post-natal qi and is one of the building blocks of qi writ large, which in turn powers all of the internal martial arts.

Again, it's all about basics.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Sorry to be off topic but I can't resist this one:
C.J.W. wrote:The only negative side effect was that during that period of time I also experienced visible hair loss.

I can't believe One Punch Man was right about gaining strength means losing hair.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby edededed on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 am

Peacedog: I wonder about women who practice - do they need testosterone levels high to get much juice, too? I guess that most information on various practices (including qigong) are for me.

Q: One Punch Man -> Wanpanman -> Anpanman.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 am

hair loss !? every winter my knees getting bald! i noticed this when i began to wear longlegged underwear some ten years ago, when stop wearing these knee hair comes back to be fully woolly for the shorts season 8-) .... when i in the early 2000nd began to drink green tea on a daily basis i got a slight hair thinning on the scalp, i also got hooked drinking canned/bottled coffee which seem to have an even stronger thinning effect on the scalp. just saying there might be other explainations for this thinning effect, i mean if one decide to tie stuff to the swung one might also have made other changes to ones lifestyle ??......8-)
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

Ed,

If you read the classic texts they all pretty much maintain men are ruled by qi and women are ruled by blood.

I think the regulating mechanism is different between the sexes.

These exercises seem to have a similar health promotion effect on women. If you look around a few ladies do promote this.
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:41 pm

edededed wrote: Q: One Punch Man -> Wanpanman -> Anpanman.

My friend explained that connection to me before and it is really neat.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby edededed on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Peacedog: That does sound familiar! If women who practice those had some blood tests, too, it would be interesting to see how it affected them (testosterone, estrogen, etc.?). But like Formosa Neijia said, it may also be from other parts of the training (not just the swinging part).

Q: Yes, it basically means that any Japanese person who hears "Wanpanman" will give it a read - great marketing, although I don't know if it is on purpose.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 am

edededed wrote:Peacedog: That does sound familiar! If women who practice those had some blood tests, too, it would be interesting to see how it affected them (testosterone, estrogen, etc.?). But like Formosa Neijia said, it may also be from other parts of the training (not just the swinging part).

Benefits for the ladies are slightly different but equally potent and they have their own guru to follow now. Kim Amani on the benefits of lifting with the Yoni egg: [youtube]https://youtu.be/H8cKH9VBe2Q?t=54[/youtube]
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Ha ha - no idea what "yoni" means, but thanks for the video link. (I will guess I should not watch it at work...)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:07 am

Decent video.

I'm mainly annoyed by how people claim to have "invented" practices like this. They didn't. Everyone learned this crap somewhere else even if they put their own spin on it. None of it is particularly special even if it is technical in application. And because of the technical aspects of doing things like this, it means their dumb asses didn't invent it. They aren't that smart.

Rant over.

What most people classify as "health" basically boils down to a well functioning endocrine system and an absence of overt pathology.

These kinds of practices are particularly potent at their ability to regulate the endocrine system, especially the sex hormones, and that's why so many people practice them even if it isn't exactly commonlly acknowledged.
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:04 am

Finally saw the video - ha ha, I did hear one person say that she "created" it, but maybe that was just the student's assumption - anyway, she calls it "vaginal kung fu," which seems to recognize the Chinese connection at least.

The good thing about the "egg" version for women is that I guess the risk is a lot less than the male version ("Oops, it fell out" vs. "Yeeeaaarrrgh my manhoooood!!!").
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:55 pm

The use of the egg comes m Mantak Chia
The device I was shown was quite different
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 pm

The use of the egg comes from Mantak Chia
The device I was shown was quite different
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves
Iron Penis Training starts at 7:42
[youtube]https://youtu.be/DxS2JGHnCtA[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/DxS2JGHnCtA
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan